walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bridge of Orchy 7

Bridge of Orchy 7

Postby grahamjb21 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:22 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chreachain, Beinn Achaladair, Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain, Beinn Heasgarnich, Beinn Mhanach, Creag Mhòr (Glen Lochay)

Date walked: 19/06/2010

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

DSCN2328.JPG
Walked in from Bridge of Orchy Friday afternoon camped bellow the summit of Cam Chreag, very hot day with little water on the tops.
DSCN2333.JPG

Saturday morning woke in the early hours cold in my 2 season bag, just 1 deg inside my tent.
Cold northerly today, kept them little bas*ards away , sunny & clear. the climb up onto Stob nan Clach reminded me just how hard Munros are then a fine walk around the head of the corrie to Creag Mhor, went NW from the summit to avoid the crags before dropping to the bealach then another hard climb to the summit of Beinn Heassgarnich. Went north along the summit before dropping into Allt Fionn Glinne for a well deserved cuppa & lunch.
DSCN2349.JPG
Followed track around Loch
Lyon before the relentless ascent of Beinn Mhanach, walked north west from the summit to find a nice flat grassy spot for my overnight camp, with the wind keeping the midges away. Very dry on the mountains finding drinking water was a problem, just a trickle for overnight camp had to boil all my water.
DSCN2353.JPG

From overnight camp on Beinn Mhanach walked below the corrie of Beinn Achaladair to pick the ridge up at spot height
813, dropped rucksack just bellow Meall Buidhe & went out to Beinn a Chreachain & back with map & camera in shorts,
free from all that weight, bliss. Then off up Beinn Achaladair with my home strapped to my back again. Had lunch in the
sun at coire a Ghabbhalaich, no water around for a cuppa this time & not a lot left in my bottle, could have laid there a lot longer, but reapplied factor 25 & off up Beinn Doldaidh, strange summit the one further west looked higher & coming off the initial summit at 993 looked higher than the real one.
Just one more to go for today & my feet were beginning to complain, very sore in this hot weather, took the path around the front of Beinn Dorain, with superb views straight down to the road below, the path seemed to go a long way before climbing to the summit. Stopped to apply first aid to my poor toes before the long desent back to the car.
Attachments
DSCN2357.JPG
Last edited by grahamjb21 on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grahamjb21
Scrambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Bridge of Orchy 7

Postby Milesy » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:03 pm

A round like that and you have no more pictures? :D
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby grahamjb21 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:53 pm

Milesy wrote:A round like that and you have no more pictures? :D

Got loads Milesy just new to this site, I'll add some more with captions soon

Graham
grahamjb21
Scrambler

Postby mountain coward » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:40 pm

OMG! Another multi-Munro machine joins the site! :lol: How you guys do such long days I'll never know... especially with a pack!
mountain coward

Postby grahamjb21 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:17 am

mountain coward wrote:OMG! Another multi-Munro machine joins the site! :lol: How you guys do such long days I'll never know... especially with a pack!

That's why we have such long days, lugging them massive packs around 8)
grahamjb21
Scrambler

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:20 am

You and Monty and Danrun (and quite a few others on here) will have to join up to see who can do the most mountains in a day with the heaviest pack! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby grahamjb21 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:22 am

It wont be mine then, I can easily get a weekends gear in my 35 litre sac, with room to spare for a cereal bar :D
grahamjb21
Scrambler

Postby walk aboot » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:54 am

Impressive report grahamjb21 :) , I love the hills around there :D .
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby monty » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:12 am

Great report Graham,
That's a big round but split with two nights camping. Bet your feet are sore :lol: A lot of that must have been pathless ??
Well done :D
monty

Postby mountain coward » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:05 am

grahamjb21 wrote:It wont be mine then, I can easily get a weekends gear in my 35 litre sac, with room to spare for a cereal bar :D

I need to get some tips off you for my next bothying trip then :D I found it hard to stuff things in my 45 + 10L pack - but then I'm a terrible packer! Also I hate carrying weight so tips would be great!
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland