walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Marsco on a fine day

Marsco on a fine day

Postby jg45 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:25 pm

Route description: Marsco from Sligachan

Fionas included on this walk: Marsco

Date walked: 25/05/2017

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The first good weather for some days, and I'm on my own to find if the the views from Marsco live up to my expectations.
Marsco 1.jpg

The weather cleared in the afternoon, so this photo of Marsco was actually taken on my descent. What a fine looking hill!
I met few people after I turned off the main path, and the route was less boggy than I expected. The steep grass up to the ridge had footsteps worn into it and had no problems apart from the wind. The view N on attaining the ridge was stunning.
Marsco 2.jpg

As recommended I took the path to the left for as close a view of Blaven as possible, although the picture below was taken during the steady ascent towards the top.
Marsco 3.jpg

The final narrow part of the ridge was enjoyable even in a steady wind. It did, of course, seem to have steeper slopes either side than those revealed in the picture.
Marsco 4.jpg

The summit is a real treat as a viewpoint, with Sgurr nan Gillean prominent.
Marsco 5.jpg

A very fine walk to do on a day with good visibility.
jg45
Mountaineer

Munros:89   
Islands:10

Re: Marsco on a fine day

Postby litljortindan » Wed May 31, 2017 9:19 pm

Great looking ridge. That was quite a warm day where I was until the breezed picked up -same where you were I guess.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Jaxter » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:37 am

That looks great!! I was admiring Marsco from Garbh Bheinn a few days before this and it looks fabulous. To be fair I don't think there is a bad hill on Skye :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:09 am

Great photos! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland