walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pinnacle Inaccessible

Pinnacle Inaccessible

Postby Jaxter » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:33 am

Route description: Sgùrr na Banachdich

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr na Banachdich

Date walked: 21/05/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 1026m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Part 1

....At least it was to us on Sunday…. :roll: :crazy:

Darren, Laura and I met at Glen Brittle campsite on Saturday evening; the weather was beautiful after a day of rain and we enjoyed an evening together, Laura being the sensible one getting to bed early and Darren and I staying up discussing politics until I decided we would fall out if we didn't get to bed. :lol: I slept well in my tent and was up bright and early, happy to see that it wasn't raining and that the clag on the Cuillin was slightly lifted :thumbup:

Looking out to sea

By the time we had all made it to the mountain hut to meet Lynne and Paddy I was absolutely buzzing, much to the amusement of the others who all joked about wanting some of what I’d had :lol: However it was not to be; high winds and deteriorating weather forecast called off the Pinn, rendering it inaccessible :( Very disappointed, Darren and I headed for Sgurr na Banachdich and the ladies headed for Sligachan thinking of Corbetts.

Windy but not raining, we drove a mile up the road, booted up (as if the others thought I was going up the in Pinn in my pink trainers :lol: ) and set off. The route was simple, following the path we enjoyed views of some nice waterfalls...

We were even hopeful of the clag lifting slightly ahead...

Despite being shrouded in mist, these mountains are incredibly impressive and I was excited to finally make it onto the Cuillin ridge for real :thumbup:

We spotted the fainter, muddy path heading off into Coir an Eich and followed it. It was one of those paths that you both love and hate - has you huffing and puffing like a steam train but my goodness do you gain height quickly :shock:

Looking back to Glen Brittle it looked positive

Ahead; Coir an Eich

The Sgurr nan Gobhar ridge

Back down Coir an Eich

We were fairly soon into the clag however, and it was lowering now rather than showing any signs of clearing. As we climbed higher the wind became stronger too.

The path led us higher into the coire; it was a largely slippy scree and rocks and very steep and we slid around a bit as we climbed. Finally it flattened out slightly and we were on the Cuillin ridge for real! Couldn't see a thing but absolutely buzzing anyway :D :D

From here we turned right and followed the ridge along. It wasn't remotely scary here, in fact quite wide and easy to follow the path in between rocks.

Suddenly the rain that had been threatening began in earnest and we ducked behind a large rock to get waterproofs on. From here it was a relatively easy climb upwards although the wind had picked up significantly. We met 3 people who seemed somewhat confused and headed down...we weren't sure if they'd given up or just gone the wrong way but soon after we made it to the summit. We actually wandered a few metres further along to what turned out to be an outcrop with a big drop so we were happy that the cairn was actually the top!

Feeling daring as I couldn’t see the drop :lol:

Into oblivion

After a few photos we decided that there were no views and no prospect of that changing so it was time to retreat to the Slig for lunch and to see where Lynne and Laura had ended up.

Nae viz

As we descended, the rain got worse but reaching the coire the visibility had slightly improved.

Slightly better…

Semi-clear although the top remained firmly claggy

Misty Isle, aptly named

We joked about going back up in case it cleared but carried on down! By the time we had reached the bottom the rain was horizontal and I discovered I'd forgotten to patch a hole in my waterproof trousers so had a wet knee :?

Glad I'd been up, but also glad to be down, we headed for the Slig where I had a guilt free mac and cheese and sticky toffee pudding as we all caught up on our mornings adventures. As we poked our heads out the pub later on we saw it had turned into a lovely evening 8)

Skye really is a wonderful place :thumbup:

Banachdich.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Next installment...
Last edited by Jaxter on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Pinnacle Inaccessible

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:11 am

DEnied!!!

Still, a good hill for sure. Its sometimes better if you can't see the drop...
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:18 am

Had the same experience when we went to do the Inn Pin for the second time( first had been rained off). The guide, as an alternative took us up Sgurr na Banadich and I stood under what seemed like a power shower for lunch. Had to return one day when we said that we would join ANYONE to share the expenses at a day's notice.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Guinessman » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:25 pm

Bad luck! Took me third attempt last year!

It will all the better for you to get a better day.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Jaxter » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:51 pm

Mal Grey wrote:DEnied!!!

Still, a good hill for sure. Its sometimes better if you can't see the drop...

:lol: :lol: Gutted aye, but there'll be another time. Aye I don't mind clag too much, when you book a guide in advance you get whatever the weather throws at you. But it would be nice to not get blown aff :lol:

Sgurr wrote:Had the same experience when we went to do the Inn Pin for the second time( first had been rained off). The guide, as an alternative took us up Sgurr na Banadich and I stood under what seemed like a power shower for lunch. Had to return one day when we said that we would join ANYONE to share the expenses at a day's notice.

That's not such a bad idea actually :roll: If it doesn't work out this time anyway. Yeah Skye rain is pretty intense right :lol: :lol:

Guinessman wrote:Bad luck! Took me third attempt last year!

It will all the better for you to get a better day.

Third time lucky eh! And then you had a Hostel full of reprobates to celebrate with :roll: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland