walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cheviots round with a wild camp

Cheviots round with a wild camp

Postby andy63 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:43 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Bloodybush Edge, Comb Fell, Cushat Law, Hedgehope Hill, The Cheviot, Windy Gyle

Date walked: 02/05/2017

Time taken: 14.4

Distance: 38.6 km

Ascent: 1535m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had 4 Hewitts in the Cheviot range that I wanted to bag, and as it's a long drive up to Northumberland I decided to combine all four in one trip. Windy Gyle and the Cheviot (both of which I'd climbed previously) could be added on with a couple of short detours, making it a round of all six hills.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I had to buy a new rucksack before starting out, as I found when I tried to pack that the old one wasn't big enough, so I didn't get a very early start, and arrived at the beginning of the walk at about 3 p.m.
I started from Hartside, which is down a minor road off the A697. There's room to park on the road just before the farm entrance.

IMG_0935.JPG

The first couple of miles were along a vehicle track which winds around the side of Shill Moor.The track comes to a dead end, but if you carry on a short distance in the same direction you soon reach another track, called Salter's Road. From near the top of the pass on Salter's Road I turned left to go uphill onto Bush Knowe, and then a path along the ridge leads up to the summit of Cushat Law.

IMG_0938.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG
Cushat Law ascent

IMG_0946.JPG
Cushat Law summit

Although the walking so far had mostly been quite easy, the unaccustomed weight I was carrying was giving me a pain in the neck and shoulders. I managed to adjust the rucksack to make it a bit more comfortable ( it's got about 20 different straps on it. I'm still not sure what half of them are for), bit it was still a bit of a pain for the rest of the trip.
The next hill, Bloodybush Edge, was reached by a simple walk along the fence line. Fortunately, it hadn't rained much recently so the ground was quite dry. This would be a much more difficult walk in wet conditions.

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

I'm not sure why it's called Bloodybush Edge, as it didn't seem very bloody, or bushy, or edgy.

IMG_0950.JPG
Bloodybush Edge summit

From here, I followed a fence line heading west, and then a path down into the valley towards Uswayford. Until fairly recently, this was a bed&breakfast which was used by walkers on the nearby Pennine Way, but now it's just a private house.

IMG_0952.JPG
Uswayford

There's a path from Uswayford leading up to the border ridge, but it wasn't easy to find at first- it may be starting to fall out of use since the b&b closed. Once you find the path, though, it's a nice easy climb up through the woods.

IMG_0956.JPG

IMG_0957.JPG

At the top of the path there's a crossroads, with a bridleway going across the ridge towards Cocklawfoot, and the Pennine Way path going along the ridge, which is also the England-Scotland border.There's also a bit of flat grassy ground which is good for putting a tent on.

IMG_0959.JPG
Home for the night

It was now getting close to sunset, so I quickly put the tent up and headed along the ridge to the next hill, Windy Gyle. Thanks to a good path, and the fact that I no longer had a heavy weight on my shoulders, I was able to make good progress, and got up to the summit and back down without having to use the torch.

IMG_0960.JPG
Windy Gyle

IMG_0965.JPG
Windy Gyle summit

Getting back to the tent,I had a sandwich and made a cup of coffee, but as it went dark it quickly began to get very cold, and the only way to get warm was by going to bed.Unfortunately I didn't sleep too well and when it started to get light decided to make an early start.

IMG_0966.JPG
Sunrise

There's a stone path along the Pennine Way, although there are gaps in the path where it could still get boggy in wet weather.

IMG_0968.JPG

IMG_0971.JPG

After a couple of miles the PW splits into two, with one branch going up to the Cheviot, and the other heading down towards Kirk Yetholm. I left the rucksack at the junction and made a short detour to visit Auchope Cairn. Although this is only a minor summit it's a much better viewpoint than the Cheviot.

IMG_0973.JPG
Auchope Cairn view

IMG_0974.JPG

I then went back to the bag and carried it a bit further to Cairn Hill, where I left it by a fence junction and headed up to the Cheviot summit. Although this is the highest point in the area, there's not much of a view as it's in a big flat plateau.
IMG_0977.JPG
The Cheviot summit

Returning to pick up the rucksack, I followed the fence downhill towards Comb Fell. across a very boggy col. Even in dry weather this was hard work with a series of large peat hags to climb over.

IMG_0978.JPG
Descent

IMG_0980.JPG

IMG_0984.JPG
Comb Fell summit, looking at Hedgehope Hill

From the undistinguished summit of Comb Fell, it's another boggy trudge along the fence line to the sixth and final Hewitt, Hedgehope Hill.

IMG_0986.JPG
Hedgehope Hill summit

It was quite a pleasant descent from Hedgehope Hill, with a good path leading south-east from the summit to join a long grassy track down to Linhope, and a short walk on tarmac back to the car.

IMG_0988.JPG
andy63

Munros:114   Corbetts:8
Fionas:13   Donalds:27+12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

Re: Cheviots round with a wild camp

Postby OpenC » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:16 pm

Tremendous walk around my local hills, enjoyed that :) Comb Fell is hard work, isn't it :)
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:132   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland