walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corserine a Norwegian Dream

Corserine a Norwegian Dream

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:54 pm

Route description: Corserine and the Rhinns of Kells, Forrest Lodge

Corbetts included on this walk: Corserine

Donalds included on this walk: Corserine

Date walked: 26/05/2017

Time taken: 3.2 hours

Distance: 12.56 km

Ascent: 690m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having climbed Cairnsmore of Carsphairn earlier in the day I now had my eyes on climbing Corserine, this was to be my second Borders Corbett and with the heat beating down I was beginning to wonder if I would have sufficient fluid left in my platypus drinks bag. I was to start off at 11.45 am which gave me lots of time to climb the hill and then head down to Galloway where my camping pitch had been booked for the weekend.
I had heard from the pages of WH that the estate that this hill stood belonged to shipping magnet Fred Oleson and that many of the tracks were named after Norwegian explorers but the track I was to initially follow from the large parking are was not named

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

20.jpg
A notice you cannot miss at the parking area
21.jpg
The non named track which I was to follow
22.jpg
The long and winding road with a house on the right just before a gate to be passed through to the open hillside
23.jpg
Looking back at the white house ( named Fore Bush on the OS maps) I have already passed from the well made track
24.jpg
Thats Corserine in the middle
25.jpg
One of the Norwegian track signs, and it was at this point I met up with a couple from Lancashire so if your reading this guys Hello again hope you had a safe journey back. They told me they had met up with four lassies from Scandinavia up on the hill and that their 4x4 truck was parked in the woods much further on, one can only guess that they were guests of Fred as no vehicles were normally allowed past the gate at the white house
26.jpg
I was then taking the Robert Watson road, I wonder who he was, not a Norwegian explorer I guess
27.jpg
A mass of yellow bloom from the broom
28.jpg
The track going down to the first fishing Loch on your left
29.jpg
The vehicle in question which must have been used by the guests
30.jpg
The style which you are requested to climb over to the open hillside, from here there is a feint path most of the way to the summit. Pretty dry under feet most of the way with no steep sections
31.jpg
Looking back down to the woods from the path above. It was just about here I met up with the four lassies who were on their way down from the summit saying it was pretty windy at the summit
32.jpg
Myself at the large cairn shown as Polmaddy Gairy Cairn on the OS maps
33.jpg
There is a feint path all the way to the summit trig point over the huge rounded summit
34.jpg
Made it for the summit pose at the trig point just inside two hours
35.jpg
Back at the large cairn looking NE. Now to get back to the cat and head South to the campsite and a nice hot shower with maybe just maybe a nice meal and drink at the local pub to set me up for a night in the tent
Last edited by The Rodmiester on Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Corserine a Norwegian Dream

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:38 pm

Looks like a lovely day for it, anyway! Don't know these hills at all, but you've tempted me to maybe consider not driving straight past on the way north sometime.

They told me they had met up with four lassies from Scandinavia up on the hill

Sorry, this reminds me of too many supposed stories about supposed groups of Swedish nymphomaniacs wandering the highlands and walking into bothies.... :lol:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:51 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Looks like a lovely day for it, anyway! Don't know these hills at all, but you've tempted me to maybe consider not driving straight past on the way north sometime.

They told me they had met up with four lassies from Scandinavia up on the hill

Sorry, this reminds me of too many supposed stories about supposed groups of Swedish nymphomaniacs wandering the highlands and walking into bothies.... :lol:

A
Hi Mal Grey, some nice hills in these parts and they don't take too long to do, highly recommended, enjoy. Or do as I did do two in a day, quite easy underfoot going and good tracks for a lot of the way not including Shalloch that's the one exception, very feint path and very easily missed in places, enjoy.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Phil the Hill » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:08 pm

Did the same route in clag and drizzle on 13 May. I thought it would probably be nice on a good day, and your report shows it is! My original plan was to do the Rhinns of Kells circuit, but it didn't seem worth it in zero visibility so I settled for the Corbett. I see you'd already been up another hill that day.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:35 pm

Phil the Hill wrote:Did the same route in clag and drizzle on 13 May. I thought it would probably be nice on a good day, and your report shows it is! My original plan was to do the Rhinns of Kells circuit, but it didn't seem worth it in zero visibility so I settled for the Corbett. I see you'd already been up another hill that day.

It's a fine hill and yes if I'd had more time I might have done the circuit but I was unsure where the campsite was in Galloway so decided just head off and get a shower.
The Rodmiester
Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland