walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Drumochter 7 and The Sow of Atholl

Drumochter 7 and The Sow of Atholl

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:16 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Bhuidheanach Bheag, A' Mharconaich, Beinn Udlamain, Càrn na Caim, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter), Meall Chuaich, Sgàirneach Mhòr

Corbetts included on this walk: The Sow of Atholl

Date walked: 28/05/2011

Time taken: 16.5 hours

Distance: 59 km

Ascent: 2900m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday 28 May – Sunday 29 May
Approx km/hrs:
59km : Walk 46.5km / Bike 12.5km
16.5hrs : Walk/bike 12.75hrs / Stops, farffing with bike, crossing stream etc 3.75hrs

The original plan was to cover these 8 hills together with the Graham, Creag Ruadh, in one big loop with an overnight camp on a dry, hot, sunny end of May holiday weekend. Well, that was the plan right up to late on the Friday evening with everything packed ready. However,....with the weather forecast worsening, I decided that I was getting a bit old to be lugging a 17kg pack through driving rain, sleet and snow and gale force winds. :shock:

So, very late on the Friday evening, the plan changed dramatically. Decided to cover them off in 3 sections enabling me only to have to carry a day pack leaving the tent etc in the car. Left a little later than normal on the Saturday morning due to having to repack, get the bike ready etc.

Saturday 28 May morning/afternoon - West Drumochter 4 plus the Sow of Atholl

GPX with reduced trackpoints for WH upload:

Drumochter 28may2011 west activelog reduced for WH upload.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Arrived at the lay-by where the Coire Dhomhain meets the A9. Weather looking a bit mixed and windy. Boots and waterproofs on and headed off on the bike to cycle up to the Balsporran cottages where I locked up the bike at the edge of the car park. It was raining on and off but with bright spells in between.

Last edited by rockhopper on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Drumochter 7 and The Sow of Atholl

Postby Del246 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:42 pm

Great report. Bummer about your Garmin. :(
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby pigeon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:56 pm

Another great effort rockhopper ,done carn a caim and it's neighbour on a great day in winter it's pretty exposed though so sunday must have been tough ,bad news about the garmin :(
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:10 pm

Great report and a hellish good effort in that weather rockhopper - a lot of folks would have given it up after the first day. Real sickener about the GPS, you deserved better luck than that - love the selp portrait at the end though it really tells a tale all on its own.

I'm leaving the Primark flip flops alone......but a picture of em on the feet in the near future is called for I reckon :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:09 pm

Brilliant effort in those conditions Rockhopper, looks brutal in some of the pics :shock:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:41 pm

rockhopper wrote:I decided that I was getting a bit old to be lugging a 17kg pack through driving rain, sleet and snow and gale force winds.

Surely not! :shock: :o :lol: And just as you're getting into your stride and finding your niche with these multi-day wild camp epics! Great stuff Rockhopper - loved it. Bit miffed to see that some vandal has removed my stone 100 from A' Mharconnaich though. :wtf:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby malky_c » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:03 am

Great stuff - some really nice shots in there. As these hills have a not-so-great reputation, they tend to suffer from smash and grab expeditions in bad weather. Makes it quite a rarity to get a report with some nice photos in.
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Gable Gable End » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:58 pm

that view of Ben Alder annoys me.

Myself and weemistermac did BA & Friend on Friday in *horrendous* conditions and decided that Saturday would be exactly the same and decided to come back another day.

bah!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:10 pm

Thanks all for the comments - much appreciated :D

The gps is sort of usable, del and pigeon - have put some weatherproof tape over it to hold the screen together.

Decided against posting a photo of feet and flipflops this time, chris - my size 7 feet aren't a nice sight :lol:

Conditions were OK, lwalker, in between the bad weather spells - it's just that the latter got longer and the former got shorter :?

Graeme - You young whippersnappers don't know what it's like for us oldies with our old bones in that weather - just wait until it's your turn :lol:

yup malky, would agree with you there on the reputation - I particularly liked the west hills and views over Loch Ericht 8)

GGE - don't get too annoyed - the weather window for views over Ben Alder was quite short before the rain/snow came over again but did make for some nice weather shots :D
rockhopper

Postby jonny616 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:31 pm

Don't know how i missed this.Great report

Regards Jenny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby andygunn23 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:28 pm

rockhopper wrote: Got changed (tricky at the side of the A9), had some lunch and drove off home. It had certainly been a bit of a mixed bag over the last day and half but still very enjoyable and good to get out and about. Back home mid afternoon. Roll on the warmer, sunnier days.

Great read! Weather looks pretty tragic so planning a similar trip this weekend. Hopefully get the 6 and The Sow of Atholl I did Meall Chuaich in the rain a while back so I know how challenging getting changed at the side of the A9 is :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: .
andygunn23

Munros:232   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Islands:12

Postby Grisu » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:53 pm

Hi rockhopper,
the picture you have posted with your comment on craiging619 report of his walk in the Drumochter Hills made me curious, so I've read your TR - what I weather you got in June! :shock:
When I did the Drumochter Hills this summer, the weather was quite mixed, expecially the wind was very strong on each walk but at least I had no snow and no sleet and a bit more views on the round of the four which was the most enjoyable walk of the Drumochter's. :D
Sometimes I think that I am quite ambitious, but I never would find the motivation to walk and even camp! in such a weather you had, temperature must have been pretty cold - chapeau :thumbup:
Cheers
Anke
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:38 pm

Grisu wrote:Hi rockhopper,
the picture you have posted with your comment on craiging619 report of his walk in the Drumochter Hills made me curious, so I've read your TR - what I weather you got in June! :shock:
When I did the Drumochter Hills this summer, the weather was quite mixed, expecially the wind was very strong on each walk but at least I had no snow and no sleet and a bit more views on the round of the four which was the most enjoyable walk of the Drumochter's. :D
Sometimes I think that I am quite ambitious, but I never would find the motivation to walk and even camp! in such a weather you had, temperature must have been pretty cold - chapeau :thumbup:
Cheers
Anke

Jings, a blast from the past. Thanks. I've slowed down quite a bit and nowadays tend to be more selective - cheers :)
rockhopper

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland