walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fleeing trouble at mill (Part 2) - Feshie/Tromie Corbetts

Fleeing trouble at mill (Part 2) - Feshie/Tromie Corbetts

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:32 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn Dearg Mòr, Meallach Mhòr

Date walked: 04/06/2017

Time taken: 6.4 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 1000m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day 3 of a Gold Assessment and after my Saturday evening assault on Sgarsoch and Fiddler, a 10 o'clock start from our campsite at the big bend on the upper Feshie had us at our day 3 campsite at the Ruigh Aiteachain bothy by 1 o'clock. Such were the low river levels that I was actually able to cross the River Eidart with ease at its confluence with the Feshie without the need for the detour upstream to the bridge above the falls.

After putting the tent up and having a quick lunch, I slung a few things in the little daypack and headed off for an attack on the Corbetts of Carn Dearg Mor and Meallach Mor. The four lads were spending the afternoon working on their aim and popping up Mullach Clach a'Bhlair, while Steven had tweeked his ankle the previous afternoon and was taking it easy, so I was on my own.

IMG_6484_zpsiqyheikk.JPG
Ruigh Aiteachain

I could barely believe how easy it was to cross the Feshie a short distance upstream from the bothy, certainly a very different experience to the one I had two years ago on my way to Leathad an Toabhain. The steep pull up the track through the Slochd Mor remained as difficult as ever however. Low river levels can only stretch so far in making routes easier!

IMG_6487_zpshmhdyxwu.JPG
Sron Direachain and an exposed vehicle track across the Feshie

IMG_6488_zpsnciu67ry.JPG
Evidence of the force of the Feshie in less favourable conditions

IMG_6489_zps6hz5oldo.JPG
Looking downstream from the "wet" part of the crossing

IMG_6490_zps7qvngymj.JPG
Sron na h-Iolaire and the Slochd Mor

IMG_6491_zpsa2sbayyh.JPG
Mullach Clach a'Bhlair

IMG_6493_zpsgtyyveve.JPG
Lochan an t-Sluic #1

IMG_6494_zpst76mige3.JPG
Lochan an t-Sluic #2

IMG_6496_zpsfwia4red.JPG
Lochan an t-Sluic #3

IMG_6497_zpsx9pbvobf.JPG
Lochan an t-Sluic #4

At the high point in the track just beyond Lochan an t-Sluic, I met three ladies with horses who had come from Bruar and were heading down through Glen Feshie. They said I was the first person they had met all day. What a coincidence - their horses were the first horses I had seen all day!

I followed the track down and then back up round the bend onto the ridge between Carn Dearg and Carn Dearg Mor, from where it was a short, straightforward stroll up to the wide summit of the Corbett. Another showery squall swept down the Slochd Mor to my right but fortunately I remained just out of range.

IMG_6498_zpsflaxneov.JPG
Track leading to Carn Dearg Mor

IMG_6500_zpspuzqvrgw.JPG
CDM from the high bealach with Carn Dearg

IMG_6501_zpsxc7acvww.JPG
Over the squall towards Leathad an Taobhain

IMG_6502_zpswwipaihx.JPG
Dark clouds over Meallach Mor and Meall Cuaich

IMG_6503_zpsvh6ccybk.JPG
Approaching the summit of CDM

IMG_6504_zpsdltk2qrm.JPG
West towards Kingussie

IMG_6505_zps7aaxm6lv.JPG
Meall Cuaich and Meallach Mor

IMG_6508_zps3faxhkzr.JPG
Distant Sgarsoch and Fiddler

From the summit I retraced my steps back to the bealach and carried on over Carn Dearg before dropping down the steep rocky slopes of Sgor Dearg past the tiny lochan below the eastern slopes of Meall an Dubh-chadha. From here a wide, peat hag studded bealach led on to Meallach Mor, with increasingly expansive and impressive views opening up south down the Gaick Pass.

IMG_6509_zpsyt9ye7et.JPG
Carn Dearg Mor from Carn Dearg

IMG_6510_zpscnwgtyjl.JPG
Descending rocky Sgor Dearg

IMG_6511_zpswzknplsy.JPG
Meall an Dubh-chadha

IMG_6512_zpsgif055ag.JPG
Back to CDM

IMG_6514_zpsaprnszxs.JPG
Peat hags between Meall an Dubh-chadha and Meallach Mor

IMG_6515_zpsbrwwmsx8.JPG
I don't think this guy is going to pull through!

IMG_6516_zpsfdjgzv54.JPG
Loch an t-Seilich

IMG_6518_zpsizm5c9d6.JPG
Zoomed to the Gaick Pass and Lochs an t-Seilich and Bhrodainn

IMG_6520_zpshoef1ppq.JPG
Carn Dearg Mor from the summit of Meallach Mor

IMG_6522_zpse7umaf5w.JPG
The fourth and final bagging of the trip

IMG_6524_zpsxm4tnmyi.JPG
Meall Cuaich and the Gaick Pass from the summit of Meallach Mor

From the summit I decided to forego retracing my steps in the interests of a bit of off piste exploration of the upper reaches of Glen Tromie, so I dropped south to pick up the Allt Coire Bhran and its real sense of remoteness.

IMG_6526_zpsi6ai1ihi.JPG
Wizard of Oz sky on the road home to Kansas

IMG_6530_zpsqofih64f.JPG
Allt Bhran

A left turn along the Allt na Cuilce led me into seriously rough terrain which had me cursing my sense of exploration before a rough firebreak in the forestry ahead led me back out onto the track for the steep descent back down through the Slochd Mor.

IMG_6531_zpsc8ojkolz.JPG
Allt na Cuilce

IMG_6532_zpsbaeizryt.JPG
What goes in........

IMG_6533_zpswbsrr902.JPG
........ must come out again

IMG_6534_zpsy9byg1kr.JPG
Carn Dearg Beag from back at the Feshie

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Graeme D on Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Fleeing trouble at mill (Part 2) - Feshie/Tromie Corbett

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:44 pm

Not spectacular, but these are wonderfully wild remote hills. I really have to get to the Gaick. Unlike most baggers (like me) who do the Munros first, you are munching through all the hills in a steady manner - great! :)
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland