walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wow I did it!

Wow I did it!

Postby jackiep » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:46 pm

Route description: The Ring of Steall, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Am Bodach, An Gearanach, Sgùrr a' Mhàim, Stob Coire a' Chàirn

Date walked: 26/05/2017

Time taken: 1 hours

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

IMG_0196.JPG
The final one!
IMG_0084.JPG
Devils ridge
IMG_0203.JPG
The one we have just come over in the background
FullSizeRender-1.jpg
50th
FullSizeRender.jpg
Freddy at the falls
I have never even considered doing this walk as I thought it was to difficult for me, I don't have a head for heights.however on the Wednesday night I hatched a plan to do it, if I chickened out of the devil's ridge we would go off the stob ban route.
IMG_0062.JPG
Start of the walk

On a glorious morning of my 56th birthday my husband and I sent off to the carpark in glen nevis. We arrived at the carpark around iambic, still thinking, ?will I,?can I do this walk, if my husband has side he had hiccups would have turned back lol,any excuse.onwards to the falls ,not going over the bridge too scary for me.We crossed over further down and avoided the falls crossing also.
FullSizeRender.jpg
Freddy at the falls
Very hot day,so tempted to turn back due to the heat even early in the morning.It was hard going on the ascent,even inch of clothing was soaking wet.We met several people on route to the first munro An Gearanach 982 m., we arrived at 11.15.We had agreed at the start of the walk we would do 1 and decide if we would go on, well the views did it for us,no way we're we going back!.Spent time refuelling and soaking up,the views.q
IMG_0197.JPG
The ben

On wards to Srob Coire a Chairn over the rocky arete of AN Garbhanach a munro top.A bit scary on the ridge but nothing to bad only a couple of seconds of o S..t!This was mainly because we went to the left and had to face the side of the mountain and keep contact with our hands, we might have been better going straight across the ridge. I really enjoyed this as part as there are plenty of foot and hand hold points.We arrived at the summit at 12.30, we spent 15mins refuelling and admiring the stunning views.
IMG_0203.JPG
The one we have just come over in the background
We met 3 fantastic lads doing the 10 majored in 1 day, hats off to them.
Next on the ring Am bodach ,this would be Freddy,s 50th munro . This was a real calf killer, I felt it was very steep with a bit of scrambling at times but nothing difficult. We arrived at the cairn at 13.50, can the views get any better than today i doubt it.
FullSizeRender-1.jpg
50th
We have been so lucky with the weather even tho it was hot there was now and again a nice breeze. We again r efuelled, we had planned to sit at every top and drink an eat. In total we drank 4x600ml bottles of water each..
IMG_0094.JPG
More views
IMG_0198.JPG
Can it get better

Next was Sgoran lubhair a demoted munro, a really nice hill ,not bad on the ascent or descent . Shame that they removed its munro status.
O NO!!!! Here it is the devil's ridge , the part I was
IMG_0198.JPG
Can it get better
so much however it was easy and I thoroughly enjoyed the ridge.We went to the left at the bad step, just a wee scramble up the chute back to the path. Then another issue , the slabs , you just have to taske your time going down ,almost zig zag them.
IMG_0084.JPG
Devils ridge

We arrived a the final munro Sgurr a mhaim at 16.00, Wow wow wow we did the ring of steall ,chuffed to bits. We stayed for a while ,chatting to people whom were admiring the views.We met so many people of all ages and from all over the UK and Europe in this walk.
IMG_0196.JPG
The final one!

I hated the walk off the hill, sore feet and tired mean it was a real slog. I told my husband just of go off a his pace as he had made the descion to walk back to get the car by himself. Fortunately a couple in a campervan took pity on him and gave him a lift and he picked me up on the road.
Big shout out to my hubby Freddy for his support ,encouragement I could not have done it without him.
So for all you mountain walkers scared of heights do this walk there is nothing really nothing to be scared of .
jackiep
Mountaineer

Munros:153   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Wow I did it!

Postby Coop » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:08 pm

It's always a good feeling when you get a good sense of achievement.

Well done.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby jackiep » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:28 pm

Yes it was a great feeling , I felt so proud and chuffed to bits
jackiep
Mountaineer

Postby Andymac75 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:16 pm

Well done :clap:
Andymac75

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:41 pm

That looked brilliant and it is surprising how many ridges are not as scary as pictures make them seem. We hope to do this soon and appreciated the tip about crossing the river further along missing out the need to cross the falls.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:43 pm

Well done. And these are a great set of hills, and with weather like you had, you'll remember the experience for the rest of your life :-).

It seems like hundreds of WHs were out in these hills during the spell of good weather!!!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby jackiep » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:16 am

It took us 10hrs but worth every second,it's so much better walking on a clear day. I use u tube videos to get a better idea of the hills as well as all the reports on here.
jackiep
Mountaineer

Postby maxie23 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:36 pm

Well done :clap:
I also have a slight fear of exposure, but after reading your report this is one walk that i will certainly have a go at in the future. :D
maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland