walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

OS Maps offline maps

OS Maps offline maps

Postby jollyjoh » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:37 am

If you're using the OS Maps for iOS with a premium subscription, did you succeed using offline maps?

I'm currently subscribed to OS Maps Premium for 30 days, and so far created 20 offline maps of various sizes, anywhere between 15 and 200 megabytes. According to the app, all map downloads have finished, and the maps should be ready for offline use.

However, when I disable WiFi and mobile data, none of the maps, neither large nor small, can be viewed. I can see the blank background or the green areas where offline maps should exist, but no content. When I zoom in, the app eventually becomes unresponsive and crashes.

Did you experience something similiar, and did you find a solution? Maybe using fewer maps, smaller maps, only the latest and greatest hardware ... ?

For reference, my configuration is:
Apple iPad Air (1st generation, late 2013)
iOS 10.3.2 (= latest)
111 GB of storage available
OS Maps app 1.90 (= latest)

Thanks for any suggestions
Joh
jollyjoh

Re: OS Maps offline maps

Postby jollyjoh » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:37 pm

Short update on my own question: Offline maps are more reliable when I define smaller areas, for example no more than 5x7 grid squares. Even with this precaution, some areas that are supposedly "available offline" are missing a few tiles or entirely empty.
jollyjoh

Postby rgf101 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:15 am

The reviews on the Apple App store are full of complaints of various kinds. I've got the app installed for the maps I get free when buying a paper map, but find myself using Viewranger much more.
rgf101

Postby Phil the Hill » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:32 pm

I'm just using the free digital maps that come with the latest OS sheets on the IOS app, but what I find is that "offline maps" are just "potentially available for use offline" and are downloaded from the internet as required. Unless you've got a 4G connection, it's best to open them on your device before the walk when you have wifi and check you have all the area you need for your walk downloaded before you set off.

I didn't do this when visiting the isle of Eigg recently, and found my "offline map" was not available offline. Fortunately the way up was easy to find and I'd brought the paper map anyway.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby walkingpoles » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:17 pm

Last year it didn't work at all (or I didn't manage to get it functional). I thought that they disallow it on purpose, because it would be too easy to simply get 1 month subscription, download everything and then stop the subscription.

However I was able to create selected A3-size pdfs for printing or offline use. No app necessary (well, also no goodies like gps-stuff).
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Iainm » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:07 pm

I've been using the app for about a year with the download codes that you get when buying new OS paper maps. I've never had any issues using the app offline. After redeeming the code online, you then have to download the map onto your phone. It will then be available for offline use.

I was surprised to see so many bad reviews of the app, but it appears most complaints are from users of the previous OS app who are unhappy that they can't transfer their purchased maps over to the new app.

I've recently bought an annual subscription so that I can print my own maps, but I'm yet to try creating a custom offline map on the app.
Iainm
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk