walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn an Tuirc and Cairn of Claise

Carn an Tuirc and Cairn of Claise

Postby KatTai » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:48 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc

Date walked: 18/06/2017

Time taken: 3.4 hours

Distance: 11 km

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

With a reasonable forecast and not having to travel too far to get to them, I opted for Carn an Tuirc and Cairn of Claise today (already done the other two Glas Maol Munro's). I despise road walking, and looking at the map I saw it was possible to do a nice circuit of these two. The car parking area was on the full side but I managed to squeeze myself in to a space and then we were off over the old stone bridge and along the track that soon just became a path. Despite the recent rain, it wasn't that boggy so we made good progress heading up towards our first target of the day that was right ahead of us.

a.jpg

We reached the point to cross the river,I always have a problem crossing water but managed to get across once I picked my crossing spot! Shortly afterwards, the path became less distinct, but there were two other people off to my left heading uphill and since I needed to head uphill I headed in their general direction coming onto a good path once more. They stopped and after a chat, we continued on up. I knew on the map the path was marked doing a big V to the right, but I just went straight up the hill following a clear path up.

1.jpg

We pretty much headed straight for the summit, only diverting to the left to find an easier way over the rocky bit. An hour and a half after we started, we were on our first summit of the day. My 27th Munro, and Moss' 22nd.

4.jpg

We could see the grassy track not far away, and worked our way over to it following it along up the slopes of Cairn of Claise. It led to a wall, and we left the track to follow the wall to the summit. I like walls, I think they are good for photos and they are even better when you have a doggy who poses like this:

10.jpg

The summit of Cairn of Claise was ahead of us, and I spotted a few heads but managed to hide them behind a rock for Moss' summit photo. Her 23rd Munro, and my 28th.

13.jpg

We continued to follow the wall down the other side of Cairn of Claise. The shoulder we were going to take back down to the car park was in our sight ahead of us along with a few other people ahead of us.

16.jpg

I didn't leave the wall when I should have done when the other path drew closer, but not really a big problem we just cut across to the main path on a smaller path shortly after the wall ended. Over the hills in the distance, I could see rain moving across but it kept over that side and our walk stayed dry.

h4.jpg

The shoulder was looking quite busy with a few other people heading along it. The path was clear, golden plover calling nearby. Though they sounded a lot closer than they actually were! Looking down, there was a huge herd of red deer grazing on the slopes.

h5.jpg

We kept following the path and then started our descent opting for a grassy track rather than following the path across rockier looking ground, almost standing on a family of grouse! The youngsters took off all over the place while their mum did a dramatic pretending to be wounded display. Moss stood watching her as if she couldn't figure out what she was looking at or what the crazy bird was doing. Further along, we encountered a ptarmigan who kept a very close eye on us. I suspect maybe she had young hiding close by too.

h8.jpg

We followed the path down to the newer looking bridge, which gave a nice view of the old bridge and that was our walk complete in 3 hours 40 minutes, quicker than I thought it was going to be!

h9.jpg
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland