walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Probably a request you've never had before, Walkhighlands..

Probably a request you've never had before, Walkhighlands..

Postby Pedro Munro » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:56 pm

My name is Peter and I have Spina Bifida. Last July, I climbed my first munro (Carn Aosda) because it was a short distance from the car park at Glenshee Ski Centre and a short ascent, a summary of which can be found on my brother's walk report, A Special Day On Carn Aosda - link - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=65131

Ever since that day, I have been looking at munros, trying to find another that would be suitable for me. The problem is that I am unable to walk any more than about 2-3 miles and many of your shorter routes are combined with other hills to make them more of a challenge to able-bodied walkers. Unfortunately, that doesn't help me much, as I don't know which hills are close to car parks and are, therefore, accessible to someone with a severe disability, like myself. Now, I know that someone with my condition isn't supposed to be traipsing over hills but I like to give myself a wee challenge, now and again and my request is that you do a short list of the shortest walks that may be suitable for the less able-bodied.

If you could do this for me, I would be extremely grateful and would make sure others knew that you went that extra mile (pun completely intended).

Thanks.
Pedro Munro
Backpacker

Munros:1   

Re: Probably a request you've never had before, Walkhighland

Postby MrsOrr » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:14 pm

You can "traipse" over as many hills as you like in my opinion. You are aware of your limitations and plan accordingly. Good luck in your venture sorry I'm not knowledgeable enough to help with your question though. I'm sure the lovely people on this website will help.
MrsOrr
Bird-watcher

Postby Pedro Munro » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:21 pm

MrsOrr wrote:You can "traipse" over as many hills as you like in my opinion. You are aware of your limitations and plan accordingly. Good luck in your venture sorry I'm not knowledgeable enough to help with your question though. I'm sure the lovely people on this website will help.

Thank you, MrsOrr, that's what I'm hoping for. :)
Pedro Munro
Backpacker

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:55 pm

Hi Peter,

A few thoughts. Also, how important is the type of terrain, eg good paths versus moorland or rockier paths?

Cairngorm from the top car park is about 1.8 miles each way, so 3.6 in total. A bit further than you mention, but the track is reasonable.

Geall-charn from the A9 at Balsporran is about 4 miles total. Some parts a bit trackless if I remember correctly, but a straightforward hill.

Stob Coire Raineach on Buachaille Etive Beag is only 3 miles total by the shortest route, but a bit more ascent and steeper. Obvious path to the bealach, can't remember after that but would imagine it might be a bit harder than the above two.

Do they need to be Munros or would other decent hills be OK too? (I don't mean just lowland stuff, more Corbetts etc)

Best of luck with your challenge!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Pedro Munro » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:56 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Hi Peter,

A few thoughts. Also, how important is the type of terrain, eg good paths versus moorland or rockier paths?

Cairngorm from the top car park is about 1.8 miles each way, so 3.6 in total. A bit further than you mention, but the track is reasonable.

Geall-charn from the A9 at Balsporran is about 4 miles total. Some parts a bit trackless if I remember correctly, but a straightforward hill.

Stob Coire Raineach on Buachaille Etive Beag is only 3 miles total by the shortest route, but a bit more ascent and steeper. Obvious path to the bealach, can't remember after that but would imagine it might be a bit harder than the above two.

Do they need to be Munros or would other decent hills be OK too? (I don't mean just lowland stuff, more Corbetts etc)

Best of luck with your challenge!

Hi Mal,

Thanks for these very useful suggestions. I did suggest Cairngorm to my brother, although I had read some reports that it was a very long walk. If the top car park is accessible to the hill then that would be a definite option. I'm not good on boggy ground as it tires me quicker due to the energy spent. There were parts of Carn Aosda that were a dried up stream bed and the uneven terrain was more of a challenge, although not insurmountable. Scrambling is a definite no. My brother has a pretty good idea of my capabilities, so I'll leave your suggestions to his discretion.

Thanks very much.
Pedro Munro
Backpacker

Postby DanielM95 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:32 am

Hi Peter,

The Cairnwell in Glenshee could be another one. It's just across from Carn Aosda with the mast on top, that wouldn't be too much longer than Carn Aosda.

On the east side of Glenshee is Glas Maol, there's a track going much of the way up to the summit where the road reaches the top of the Cairnwell Pass coming from the Perth direction. Parking there and up and down to the summit would come to around 3.6 miles (sorry if that's too much, I know you said 2-3).

Meall nan Tarmachan would be another that would spring to mind if you were to park in the walkers car park then head to the summit then back down again though that one would be pushing 4 miles. Beinn Ghlas would probably be in a similar ballpark. Meall Corranaich would be a fairly short one (measured about 3 miles in total) in that area too but I recall the ground being quite rough on climbing that one.

Meall a'Bhuiridh from the Glencoe Ski centre would come to just slightly over 3 miles. There is some bog after the initial ascent but there are paths through at least half of it, shouldn't be too bad if it's dry if you head straight for the ridge before climbing the rest of the way.

Ben More probably wouldn't be the most helpful suggestion. It's not far horizontally, Benmore farm to the summit then back would come to about 3.5 miles but that is hill is a very difficult climb.
DanielM95
Mountaineer

Munros:84   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:5

Postby prog99 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:35 am

Where are you based as the Lake District has plenty of options to go for.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Pedro Munro » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:02 am

DanielM95 wrote:Hi Peter,

The Cairnwell in Glenshee could be another one. It's just across from Carn Aosda with the mast on top, that wouldn't be too much longer than Carn Aosda.

On the east side of Glenshee is Glas Maol, there's a track going much of the way up to the summit where the road reaches the top of the Cairnwell Pass coming from the Perth direction. Parking there and up and down to the summit would come to around 3.6 miles (sorry if that's too much, I know you said 2-3).

Meall nan Tarmachan would be another that would spring to mind if you were to park in the walkers car park then head to the summit then back down again though that one would be pushing 4 miles. Beinn Ghlas would probably be in a similar ballpark. Meall Corranaich would be a fairly short one (measured about 3 miles in total) in that area too but I recall the ground being quite rough on climbing that one.

Meall a'Bhuiridh from the Glencoe Ski centre would come to just slightly over 3 miles. There is some bog after the initial ascent but there are paths through at least half of it, shouldn't be too bad if it's dry if you head straight for the ridge before climbing the rest of the way.

Ben More probably wouldn't be the most helpful suggestion. It's not far horizontally, Benmore farm to the summit then back would come to about 3.5 miles but that is hill is a very difficult climb.

Thanks very much for these. We were going to attempt The Cairnwell yesterday but the wind put pay to that. I'll keep your other suggestions in mind. Thanks again.
Pedro Munro
Backpacker

Postby Pedro Munro » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:09 am

prog99 wrote:Where are you based as the Lake District has plenty of options to go for.

Hi. I have a car, so travelling isn't a problem. I'm based in the Glasgow area and I have been down at The Lake District and it's stunning. I'll have a look around there too. I would need to do a bit more research but I would like to have a go at Mt. Snowdon at some point, although I'm not sure if that's going to be too long a walk.
Pedro Munro
Backpacker

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:01 am

If you don't mind a wee bit of cheating, the Nevis Ranges gondola at Aonach Mhor takes you up to about two thousand feet so you wont have so far to walk to the summit. ( http://www.nevisrange.co.uk/gondola-info.asp ) . The Isle of Skye has some big hills close to the road, but they are bloody steep and scary so I don't know how enthusiastic you might be with those. But why restrict yourself to Munros? There are plenty of other slightly smaller hills which are still a challenge, give great views of fantastic scenery and look good in photos; I'm thinking of island hills like Dun Caan on the Isle of Raasay, and various hills on Arran.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Coop » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:33 pm

As well as the others listed you could go for Carn na Caim just before Dalwhinnie . You're starting about 400m so not much of an ascent. Think it would be about 7 or 8 km up and back in total though, and you don't have to go on to a' bhuidheanach bheag.

All the best and good luck wherever you end up.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Gythral » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:52 am

Enjoy the activity :)

Like others have said why limit yourself to just Munros, as many of the lesser hills give wonderfully views & are enjoyable in their own right

I think others have stated the obvious choices of munros, The Cairnwell, Cairngorm, Anoach Mor via the gondola

Also Cairngorm has a guided 90min walk from the top of the railway if you walk at a normal average pace but are just limited by distance
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:08 pm

There is also a chair lift at Glen Coe Mountain Resort, though getting on and off is awkward enough for the able-bodied; it may be that you get stuck going up and down the hill in an incessant loop. At least the views over to Buchaille Etive Mhor are good.

Buchaille Etive Mhor.jpg
Buchaille Etive Mhor
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:27 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:There is also a chair lift at Glen Coe Mountain Resort, though getting on and off is awkward enough for the able-bodied; it may be that you get stuck going up and down the hill in an incessant loop. At least the views over to Buchaille Etive Mhor are good.

I think they would stop it to allow you on and off. There were several pauses as we came down it one day, and I think it was for elderly folk to get off, not sure they didn't take one look at me and stop it.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:40 pm

Checking out the walk you did to Carn Aosda, it's about 2 miles total distance, with 260m ascent. I had the impression that this was quite challenging for you, but doable.

Starting with that as a specification, but assuming that non-munros with visual character would be equally acceptable, I suspect that the trick is to find such hills reasonably close to a road.

The ones that immediately came to mind were Sgurr a'Chaorachain and Meall Gorm, to the East and South West of the Applecross pass. The roughness of the terrain up to Meall Gorm probably rules it out, but there's a track up to Sgurr a'Chaorachain, it's about a mile up, and just less than 200m of ascent. And most importantly, there are phenomenal views :D . Check them out and see what you think.

Here's a link to a WHR with some fantastic images that should get the pulse racing...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44025

It's probably a longish drive, but you will be driving through inspiring country....

Good luck, and whichever ones you do, be sure to write a report :thumbup:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion