walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Easy way up the hill with the long name and great views

Easy way up the hill with the long name and great views

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:55 pm

Route description: Beinn Liath Mhòr a'Ghiubhais Li

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Liath Mhòr a' Ghiubhais Li

Date walked: 03/05/2017

Distance: 8.5 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Quite often over the past few years I've included this Corbett in a group of options for "what to do not too far from home when we don't have all day". But it's never been the one that was chosen. Somehow it's always been left standing there in favour of something more exciting or with a better path, even though it meant a longer drive. If Beinn Liath Mhor a' Ghiubhais Li had feelings I reckon she'd be feeling a bit under valued and overlooked, if not in danger of developing a downright complex. Having such a long name that's unpronouncable to all but Gaelic speakers doesn't exactly help her cause. I used to refer to her as the "Glascarnoch Corbett" - which doesn't quite have the ring to it of say Fuar Tholl, The Fara or Cobbler. It's not a great start when you can't remember a hill's name. :eh:

But then the day came for righting this injustice. Evelyn likes to climb local hills rather than driving a long way so I knew when I included BLMGL in a group of options for a half day outing there was a fighting chance she'd be chosen. And she was!

We decided to go up and down from the west so we could use the forestry track and also because the views would be better to the west. We parked near the Torrandhu bridge, the same place I parked with Kath to climb Am Faochagach. To access the track you have to walk back over the bridge before following the signed path to the south. There's a gate to go through and you follow the good track in through the young trees with views back to the Beinn Dearg hills.

IMG_2820-large.JPG

Zoomed to Beinn Dearg and Cona Mheall
IMG_2821-large.JPG

The track crosses a burn but after a dry spell there was no problem getting over with dry boots.

Burn crossing
IMG_2846-large.JPG

Ullapool road and Loch Droma
IMG_2824-large.JPG

The forest track
IMG_2826-large.JPG

Once through the gate in the forestry fence the track continues south towards the Fannichs and that's when we turned off it and headed SE over grass and heather. Sometimes we came across deer tracks which were briefly useful but in the main the deer didn't seem to be heading for the top of BLMGL so we were mostly finding our own way up. We skirted round the worst of the peat hags on Cnap a' Ghuibhais Li and did so even more effectively on the descent. It's easier when you know what you're avoiding! It did help that it was such a gorgeous day and at no point did I feel there was anything tedious about this hill or that I wasn't enjoying it. :D

Looking back to the gate we came through in the forestry fence
IMG_2828-large.JPG

Eastern Fannichs
IMG_2827-large.JPG

Skirting the peat hags on Cnap a' Ghuibhais Li
IMG_2830-large.JPG

Dearg group from higher up
IMG_2833-large.JPG

Zoomed to Beinn Dearg and Cona Mheall with Seana Bhraigh appearing
IMG_2834-largec.JPG

As the gradient steepened we picked a line up the grassy parts avoiding most of the bouldery parts. Before long we were on a gently rising plateau of moss and stones, heading for the circular windshelter at the summit. With such a good weather forecast I'd decided to take both my compact camera and my SLR - partly as an experiment to see which gave the best results. I used to assume the SLR would always be best but now I'm not so sure there's that much in it and probably not enough to justify carrying the extra bulk and weight. :think:

IMG_2835-largec.JPG

SW to An Coileachan
IMG_2837-largec.JPG

Zoomed to Loch Fannich and hills to SW
DSC_0439-largec.JPG

Beinn Liath Mhor a' Ghiubhais Li summit
IMG_2838-large.JPG

For an undistinguished hill BLMGL certainly makes up for it with the views she gives to more famous hills around her - from Sgurr Mor, to An Teallach, to Beinn Dearg and then east to Ben Wyvis.

Sgurr Mor, Beinn Liath Mhor Fannaich and An Teallach
IMG_2841-largec.JPG

Zoomed to Sgurr Mor
DSC_0441-largec.JPG

An Teallach
IMG_2836-largec.JPG

Zoomed to the pinnacles of Corrag Bhuidhe
DSC_0446-largec.JPG

Zoomed north to Beinn Dearg and Cona Mheall
DSC_0443-largec.JPG

And again
DSC_0445-largec.JPG

East to Loch Glascarnoch and Ben Wyvis
DSC_0442-largec.JPG

South to I'm not sure what
DSC_0449-largec.JPG

After a leisurely lunch in the sun we discussed which way to go down. Out of curiosity I'd probably have opted for the way off to the east but Evelyn wasn't keen on a 1km walk along a busy road so we retraced our steps the way we'd come up, which was also the better choice for the views. 8)

Back on the forest track
IMG_2842-large.JPG

Looking back towards An Coileachan
IMG_2843-largec.JPG

Last one of Beinn Dearg
IMG_2844-large.JPG

So that was it. We had finally climbed "the big grey hill of the coloured pine". We didn't get wet feet, didn't have to climb fences, didn't have to cross boulder fields or scramble up anything - an easy hill. An easy unremarkable hill but with fabulous views which I imagine would be even better in winter. :thumbup:
Last edited by dogplodder on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Easy way up the hill with the long name and great views

Postby Sgurr » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:19 pm

At least you had the courtesy to climb it in good weather with great views. With us, it was always the hill we'd do when we didn't have the weather for something better. And she repaid that ingratitude by producing a goretex mountain cap, very mouldy and only slightly nibbled by something which we resurrected for husband, and which he has been wearing ever since with a few goretex patches (May I say that was in the time before Lost and Found on the internet).

Love your distance photos, as we never got those views.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:56 pm

Sgurr wrote:At least you had the courtesy to climb it in good weather with great views. With us, it was always the hill we'd do when we didn't have the weather for something better. And she repaid that ingratitude by producing a goretex mountain cap, very mouldy and only slightly nibbled by something which we resurrected for husband, and which he has been wearing ever since with a few goretex patches (May I say that was in the time before Lost and Found on the internet).

Love your distance photos, as we never got those views.

Something good out of your day then! :lol:
dogplodder

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:53 pm

My first winter climb was up this hill... in early March 2008... :D My boots were leaky and my fingers were freezing off, but the views made up for all the pain :lol: The forest has grown significantly since then!

We will definitely return to this Corbett and probably in winter again, I might be tempted do concoct some kind of traverse...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby dogplodder » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:21 pm

BlackPanther wrote:My first winter climb was up this hill... in early March 2008... :D My boots were leaky and my fingers were freezing off, but the views made up for all the pain :lol: The forest has grown significantly since then!

We will definitely return to this Corbett and probably in winter again, I might be tempted do concoct some kind of traverse...

A good one for a clear winter day with those views... 8)
dogplodder

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland