walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wet, wild and windy. 3 out of 3 Cairnwells in June '17

Wet, wild and windy. 3 out of 3 Cairnwells in June '17

Postby catorr » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:31 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 27/06/2017

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having planned to do the Lochnagar 5 today, the weather had other ideas. Both myself and Ross are choked with the cold too.. So we decided to do something a bit less adventurous, checked the Munro book and found these 3 to be pretty close by. Read that the hills are pretty scarred from the ski set up and not very interesting, so didn't mind doing them in poor weather.

Set off about 10 past 12 from the Glenshee ski car park which was free to park in and had a cafe and toilets!

Within 45 minutes we reached the summit of Carn Aosda, nae view but a selfie was still required!
The wind was blowing and it was raining too, so back down the track to the Loch where we headed up and to the right, aiming towards Carn a' Gheoidh. We saw 8 mountain hares and 2 grouse on route and soon stumbled upon the summit at 14:25. Again, not a thing to be seen, so another quick picture and no hanging about.

We retraced our steps and avoided standing on various frogs and beetles who were enjoying the weather much more than we were! Once back on the main track we turned right and walked for about 30 minutes before getting to The Cairnwell summit at half past 3. :wink:

It was bloody baltic at the top to put it mildly. And still, nae view! We took shelter in the rather ugly concrete building (although rather glad it was there) and had a quick bite to eat and added an extra layer of clothing. It honestly felt like we were doing a Winter walk minus the snow. With windchill I'd imagine it was about minus 5 if not worse.
No selfie at the top this time, just get going and try to heat up as quickly as possible!

A couple of guys doing maintenance work passed us in their 4x4 buggy a few times, but other than that we were the only ones braving the elements today on the Cairnwell summits. Wouldn't have said no to a lift back down mind you... :lol:

We got back to the car at 16:40 which made it a 4 and a half hour walk.

As much as I don't like walking in poor weather, I'm facing the facts that to bag munros, it's got to happen every now and then!

It was still an enjoyable day out and it was a first time for both of us to reach more than 2 Munro summits in one day :thumbup: :D

Here's to the next one!
catorr
Mountain Walker

Munros:23   
Islands:5

Re: Wet, wild and windy. 3 out of 3 Cairnwells in June '17

Postby tummelv » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:13 pm

I recently did this loop as well and by far the easiest munros I have ever done! Especially Cairnwell and Aosda!

Sounds like you got much poorer weather than I had though, was a beautiful day when I did it and very warm with not too much breeze. 8)
tummelv
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   Corbetts:25
Fionas:19   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:77   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland