walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sailed past this many times without knowing it at Drumochter

Sailed past this many times without knowing it at Drumochter

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:11 pm

Route description: Meall na Leitreach, from Dalnaspidal

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall na Leitreach

Date walked: 23/05/2017

Distance: 7.75 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I must have passed this hill hundreds of time over the years without ever noticing it. It's not that obvious from the A9, lying quietly on the east side of Loch Garry without any visible summit to catch the eye. I always looked at the hills as we went through, but not this one. I didn't even know it was there.

That changed when Moira and I were heading down to climb some hills around Crianlarich and saw the chance to fit in a short climb as we passed. A look at my Corbett map revealed a nice easy one near Dalnaspidal with a track all the way. Not the kind of hill you'd drive a long way to climb but ideal if you're passing.

We watched for the Dalnaspidal turn off as it would be easy to miss and end up on the dual carriageway south without any quick opportunity to turn back! Once off the busy A9 we followed the quiet approach road to Dalnaspidal Lodge, parking just before the level crossing.

Railway line heading north
IMG_3006-large.JPG

Once over the level crossing we took the next right turn on to a smaller track with a public footpath sign, which heads in the direction of Loch Garry.

Road for Dalnaspidal Lodge which we turned off to right
IMG_3007-large.JPG

This track leads to a sluice bridge over the Allt Dubhaig, where you're meant to take a left turn to follow the near high grassy bank of the concrete waterway. But what used to be an opening at this point is now blocked off with inwards slanting metal fencing. We could have climbed it but it didn't feel quite right so we walked a bit further on looking for a way through, which there wasn't. We could see a bridge over to our left which would give access to the start of the climb but out of curiosity (on my part anyway) kept going as far as the bridge heading straight for the loch. This was the wrong bridge. :think:

A bridge too far and Meall na Leitreach on left
IMG_3008-large.JPG

We didn't cross this bridge but turned left over a flat grassy area and headed for the other bridge, which involved a climb over a locked gate and going through another gate to reach it.

Meall na Leitreach and River Garry from bridge we crossed
IMG_3009-large.JPG

From the bridge we headed straight on to a T junction with a track where we turned left and immediately right on to a wet ATV track up the hill.

View back to start of wet ATV track
IMG_3010-large.JPG

This slightly awkward route was to take us round the perimeter of Dalnaspidal Lodge, rather than have sundry random hill folk wandering through it whenever they please. The field in front of it contained a rather excited horse racing around - possibly because another horse was being ridden towards the loch (along with walker, cyclist and dog) and perhaps he would have liked to have gone too. We watched the horse/walker/cyclist/dog combo as they progressed towards the loch. They looked a curious group to be out for an afternoon walk together. :eh:

Dalnaspidal Lodge
IMG_3011-largec.JPG

More mud
IMG_3012-large.JPG

View north through the Drumochter Pass
IMG_3013-large.JPG

The muddy track kept to the east side of the Allt nam Pliadean burn and continued to be muddier than we expected compared to the dry underfoot conditions we'd had lately further north.

Higher up - more mud
IMG_3014-large.JPG

As the gradient eased we met another walker coming towards us and stopped for a chat. The track became less distinct in a muddy section before curving off to the west towards a small cairn on a slight rise before a gentle descent and reascent towards the highest part of Meall na Leitreach (Gaelic for 'the hill of slopes').

Small cairn
IMG_3015-large.JPG

From this point on the going was dry. :thumbup:

Path ahead leading to summit
IMG_3016-large.JPG

IMG_3018-largec.JPG

Zoomed SE to Schiehallion
IMG_3017-largec.JPG

The summit cairn is about 150m off to the left of the track with a faint path across low heather leading to it.

Summit cairn looking north
IMG_3023-largec.JPG

South from summit
IMG_3020-largec.JPG

Not sure if that's the Glen Lyon or Ben Lawers group in centre?
IMG_3021-largec.JPG

Summit cairn looking NW
IMG_3022-largec.JPG

Did I mention it was a bit windy?
IMG_3024-large.JPG

IMG_3025-large.JPG

We retraced our steps and were soon back on the road heading south. The next day turned out to be low cloud and rain so we were glad we'd grabbed the chance of fitting a hill into the journey down. 8)

Watched from afar
IMG_3026-largec.JPG

IMG_3027-largec.JPG
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Sailed past this many times without knowing it at Drumoc

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:45 pm

Always nice to find somewhere new.

I had a vague memory of the hill, but eventually worked out I only knew of it because I'd looked its name up so I knew what was in this photo taken from the other side of the pass in winter, its the one left of Loch Ericht.

Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby dogplodder » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:25 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Always nice to find somewhere new.

I had a vague memory of the hill, but eventually worked out I only knew of it because I'd looked its name up so I knew what was in this photo taken from the other side of the pass in winter, its the one left of Loch Ericht.

Great photo but that would be Loch Garry not Loch Ericht. :wink:
dogplodder

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:19 pm

Yet another hill to add to the ever growing list of hills I should get around to visiting :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi Dogplodder

Did this one along with the Sow of Atholl nearly 3 years ago now. S of A was fine but this hill was particularly wet and slippery on the lower slopes and the inevitable happened on the way down - at least it was a soft landing!!

Sounds like nothing much has changed but still a good hill if time is limited.

G
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Graeme D » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:01 pm

Glad you found it! :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:37 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Yet another hill to add to the ever growing list of hills I should get around to visiting :lol: :lol:

Would only take you and R a couple of hours to do this one. :wink:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:42 pm

Graeme D wrote:Glad you found it! :clap:

Now every time we go past I give it a nod to make up for all those times I didn't know it was there! :lol:
dogplodder

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland