walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Half way at Sgurr an Lochain

Half way at Sgurr an Lochain

Postby Coop » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:44 am

Route description: South Glen Shiel Ridge: 7 Munros

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Air Chrith, Creag a'Mhàim, Creag nan Dàmh, Druim Shionnach, Maol chinn-dearg, Sgùrr an Doire Leathain, Sgùrr an Lochain

Date walked: 04/07/2017

Time taken: 10.2 hours

Distance: 26.75 km

Ascent: 1818m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

"Hope this weatherman got it right today" i said to myself as I left at 5 and headed through glencoe and Fort William - rain all the way.
Then it stopped and cleared and it stayed dry and clear for the 10 hours on the ridge- perfect.

Good track skirting round at the start which led to a path to head up to no.1.- Creag a maim
You've got an option earlier of heading up the hill directly and steeply. Wasn't a day for that. It was a day to savour and enjoy.
Walked up to the 1st one with Billy whom I'd met enroute. Wee bit of paper came out ( with the number on it) and placed on the cairn and I did this for all 7.
Left and headed on and on and on and on- admiring the views and wildlife- one ptarmigan and 2 frogs!
The lads from HM coastguard and their chopper were in the air at one point. Waved to each other and they went on their way. Hopefully they were just training and had a quiet day.
We were nearing no5 - Sgurr an Doire Leathain -and met a lad who had ascended that way heading anti clockwise thinking he was on no7. "Ah well I'll just have to come back tomorrow and do those 2 I missed" good lad - all the best.

No6. Sgurr an Lochain, was number 141 for me today. .
Didn't have two ones with me so I just placed a 6 on it and took a pic.

Think it was when we were nearing no7- Creag nan Damh where it sounded like thunder. I recognised the sound and knew to scan the skys away from the noise. Sure enough, there they were. 2 typhoons of Her Majesty's Forces were heading through Glen Shiel quite low. Great sight.
And on the good wee path it was again, up and over Creag nan Damh and then then a wee climb and another km or so to the wee cairn indicating the descent. Wee bit wet on the descent and two crossings of the stream lower down but nothing major.

Great day, bumped into a few heading the other way and a wee group stayed behind us until the 5th summit where I think they must have descended ( unless they went back). Also met a lad and lass at the 1st ford- they'd had a long day. All the best.

To Billy fae Kelso- cheers again pal appreciated. Don't know about you, but I had a lie in today. If you went up any of the hills today, that we were talking about yesterday, I hope you had a good day .

Cap doffed to the ridge and it's ups and downs.

Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: Half way at Sgurr an Lochain

Postby ere1 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:54 pm

Well done Coop! :thumbup:
ere1
Walker

Munros:51   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:7

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:11 pm

Well done on reaching half way and that's some walk. I think you earned your lie in :clap:
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Coop » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:59 pm

Cairngorm creeper wrote:Well done on reaching half way and that's some walk. I think you earned your lie in :clap:

Cheers, 1st time in a long while I've got up so late next day.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Coop » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:00 pm

Cheers ere1. That's one of this years targets out the road . Now onto the next one
Coop
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland