walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Seana Bhraigh - beauty of the north via the easy way

Seana Bhraigh - beauty of the north via the easy way

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:42 pm

Munros included on this walk: Seana Bhràigh

Date walked: 01/07/2017

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 20 km

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Seana Bhraigh tucked far into the north of Scotland is by far not an easy mountain to reach. Or so I thought until I was told that a much easier and prettier approach from Oykel Bridge is possible. :thumbup:

I had arranged to meet Col at the caravan park in Dingwall and after a rather rainy night at the campsite, I woke up to glorious sunshine. Getting ready we put the tents away and agreed that as pretty the birds might sound in the morning, it had been a nightmare listening to them from 3am onward. :evil:

It was 9:00 am when we made our way to Oykel Bridge. The drive itself was rather stunning and I enjoyed to see yet again roads less traveled. :D

When we reached Oykel Bridge the start of the landrover track was easy to spot. I took the lead with my car and I am not sure what I had expected, but it was certainly a smoother ride that the one we had to endure for the next half an hour. :shock: I have walked my fair share on land rover tracks and wished so many times that I could drive them, but driving in reality was a crawl at 15 mph with constant thoughts of OMG I hope my wee car will survive the journey. :lol:

The bumpy journey can begin

Roads one usually walks

When we finally reached the well sign posted car park I was revealed and surprised that we were the only ones there.
We passed the lodge and buildings and continued through a gate. Ahead of us Seana Bhraigh showed it self in all its beauty and the path simply continued towards it. Passing hundred of Sundew and Foxgloves on the way , summer was in full swing and the wind kept the midges at bay. I lost count how many wee burns we had to cross, but well placed stepping stones made it easy and we managed to keep our boots dry.

The start

Looking back towards the buildings

The clear path ahead

Seana Bhraigh

Sundew

and another one

The path ahead

On the way up

Looking back

Once we reached the foot of the mountain we had a short break to enjoy the countryside and have something to eat. In the distance I could see a path which lead up towards Meallan Odhar.

Once we left the main path the ground was grassy and soggy in places, but all in all not too bad. The higher we climbed the stronger the wind got and by the time we reached Creag nan Gobhar +40mph made the walk quite interesting in places.

First views

Myself

Passed the wee lochan

Looking ahead

Col

Simply stunning

The views however were simply amazing. I have seen pictures down the wee Loch Luchd Choire, but to see in real was simply outstanding. With lots of breaks to enjoy the views, we finally reached the large cairn. Waking around the views were even more spectacular and the clouds raced above us, giving some added drama. We seeked shelter when a rain shower passed and I was soon in 3 layers. So much for a warm summer. :?

Views on the way up

Panorama

Quite spectacular cliffs

Summit views

Seeking shelter from the wind

On the way back

A lengthy lunch break later, we decided to skip the plans to do the horseshoe and simply returned the way we came. Rain showers and rainbows followed us back to the car and Seana Bhreigh...I will be back at some point!

The Landrover track to the official car park - 10k/6 miles

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The walk itself

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: Seana Bhraigh - beauty of the north via the easy way

Postby litljortindan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:56 pm

What a dramatic corrie. As I recall there is definitely a need to keep the speed down on that road because of the occasional pothole. Unless you drive a tank of course!
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:01 pm

Spectacular way to walk this mountain, glad you got the views especially into the corrie :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby bigkeith » Tue May 10, 2022 7:25 pm

Nice report and pics - thanks. It's a lovely route for this hill. I took my bike along the track from the car park you used which made the whole approach seem quite luxurious. There's something special about Seana Bhraigh; the corrie is striking and I was lucky to have great views to the Assynt hills which always lifts the spirit :D .
bigkeith
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:17

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland