walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Pitridh

Creag Pitridh

Postby steverabone » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:41 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chlachair, Geal Chàrn & Creag Pitridh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlachair, Creag Pitridh, Geal chàrn (Laggan)

Date walked: 06/06/2017

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1bLAbEDvwEIvsZzqpKu7R3deo80I&hl=en"%20width="1000"%20height="600"%20class
Click on the link to see the route in Google Maps

The plan for this day (in June 2017) had been to attempt the three Munros, Beinn a'Chlachair, Geal Charn and Creag Pitridh. However, the weather forecast was extremely poor with heavy rain
and glaes so I had decided instead to just try to reach the col at Bealach Leamhain and enjoy being out in the hills. As it happens I didn't reach the bealach but did climb Creag Pitridh
Having parked the car in the layby near Moy (NN432 830) I set off across the bridge over the canalised River Spean.
After a few hundred yards, and just before a small plantation,.....
...turn off to the left. If you bear right and find yourself crossing a bridge over another river (like I did) you are on the wrong track!
The broad vehicle track climbs above the Abhainn Ghuilbinn stream ...
...and after passing a large gravel pit heads off to....
...another junction where you turn sharp right.
Looking back with the Munro Beinn a' Chaorainn hidden under cloud.
The track now climbs to a low saddle...
...and passes a small reservoir.
A slight downhill section reveals Lochan na h-Earba....
....with the bridge over the streams that feed the lochan.
The amzing sandy beaches of Lochan na h-Earba often make this area especially attractive in sunny weather but not on this day.
After crossing the bridge the right fork is the way forward and away from the lochan.
There's a small cairn at the start of a cut-off path and....
....after a few hundred yards the main track, which loops around, is rejoined.
It's now clear that the rivers are in spate and I begin to wonder if I will have a problem at the point where the track crosses the stream at a ford.(NN473 805) .
The broad track continues straight up by the Alt Coire Pitridh....
...and the ford is reached. I'll not be trying to cross that! However, there is a cairn and a promising looking track that leads off up the hillside towards Creag Pitridh.
With the recent heavy rain following a dry spell the ground is extremely wet with the whole hillside awash with water moving downhill.
The track crosses a subsidiary stream and...
...remains quite clear. I set my GPS to take me towards NN480811 just in case the path disappears. The rain has largely stopped and the wind is not particularly strong so I now feel that I have a chance of reaching the summit.
Looking back down into the glen.
Looking back south the bulk of Beinn a' Chlachair is hidden under a blanket of cloud
The path eventually fades away but my next objective is to reach the western ridge of Creag Pitridh at about NN485 815.
Once on the ridge there's a faint track....
...but soon I'm in the clouds..
...and the terrain becomes stonier....
....as the summit is reached..
...with a small cairn on the top of a rocky outcrop. Fortunately, the wind wasn't as bad as expected but I didn't linger at the cairn and dropped down into a nearby hollow for a late lunch break.
On the way back downhill Creag Pitridh's summit briefly appeared from under the cloud for a few seconds.
The return was basically a walk downhill over the grassy hillside. I didn't bother trying to find the path again. The photo shows the sodden hillside as I approach the main stalkers path at the ford.
A look back at Beinn a'Chlachair with cloud filling its large corrie in the centre. The walk from the start to the summit had taken just over three hours and the return slightly less.
Last edited by steverabone on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
steverabone

Munros:190   Corbetts:41
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:38

Re: Creag Pitridh

Postby simon-b » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:50 pm

Creag Pitridh is a nice Munro. There's no escaping weather like that in the Highlands sometimes. You did well to get to a summit. I don't blame you not going for all three on that day, Steve.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: Creag Pitridh

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:09 pm

Shame for the weather as these 3 are a fine round, it must be a common theme as they took me several attempts , Geal Charn in particular didn't like me :lol: But Beinn a C will forever be remembered as it was my half way on 141.
I'd recommend a revisit in winter :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland