walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Up the Snub!

Up the Snub!

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:06 pm

Route description: Ben Tirran by Loch Brandy and Wharral, Glen Clova

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Tirran

Date walked: 16/06/2017

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 16.3 km

Ascent: 784m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Friday the 16th came with rain and low cloud over the western side of Scotland. We were left with few still unclimbed options east of the A9. Ben Tirran circuit seemed the most interesting walk, with high lochs and steep corries. Possibly the only one worth the 3 hrs each way driving time from Inverness. It was also our last "to-do" Corbett in the far east.

We had climbed Driesh and Mayar from Glen Isla, not a very popular approach and probably less interesting than Glen Clova. We may repeat them from the east if we ever return to the area for a longer period of time, but at the moment, we would like to concentrate on the remaining 72 Munros, most of which are on the western coast or down in south-western direction.

As for Ben Tirran, it would be a perfect hill for a winter outing if we lived nearby :D There are excellent paths on the ascent/descent and relatively easy going on the plateau between the tops. Might be a navigational challenge in winter whiteout or thick mist though, as the traverse from the Snub to The Goet is flat and featureless. But we had a reasonable day despite bad forecast.
Our route follows the WH suggestion, with a small detour up the Snub for some additional views and lurking :wink:

Track_BEN TIRRAN 16-06-17.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

There is a small public car park in the village of Clova (with toilets). We walked past the hotel grounds. The route up is signposted "Glen Esk path" or something like that. Soon we walked out of the forest and crossed a small stream, now we could see the well worn path meandering its way up the steep, gassy slopes of Glen Clova. Easy way to go!
Looking down the path do Clova and the glen:
2017-06-16 ben tirran 005.JPG

Along Glen Clova:
2017-06-16 ben tirran 011.JPG

We gained height very quickly. We could see other people walking higher up but we didn't really feel like chasing them. This was going to be one of those lazy days, when we wander around without a care in the world :D
2017-06-16 ben tirran 018.JPG

It was dry and the path was good, I decided to ditch my gaiters...
2017-06-16 ben tirran 026.JPG

After about 300m of straightforward ascent, the view to the upper slopes and the Snub was revealed. We had a good look at the WH route and we found it strange that it climbed the slopes to the right of Loch Brandy, despite the Snub looking like a superb wee top with great viewpoint potentials. So we agreed, we'd go against the instructions and take a detour to this interesting spot!
2017-06-16 ben tirran 021.JPG

Maybe in the past, the path up the Snub was badly eroded and not recommended, but as we speak, there is a lot of work going on to build a proper stone-constructed access to this top. On the day we visited, the path was finished about 2/3 way up.
Panoramic photo of Loch Brandy and the corrie:
2017-06-16 ben tirran 039.JPG

We met a few people by the loch, but we didn't linger: I was eager to go up the Snub!
On the newly constructed path:
2017-06-16 ben tirran 050.JPG

We slowed down near the summit to enjoy views down to Glen Clova. Here we passed the last people we would see on the hills today - for the rest of the walk we had Ben Tirran all to ourselves! :D :D
2017-06-16 ben tirran 052.JPG

The summit of the Snub is marked with a substantial cairn (Mount Keen very prominent on the horizon):
2017-06-16 ben tirran 060.JPG

The nearby Lochnagar drew my attention. I had been reading about a plane crash site on this mountain and decided to talk Kevin into re-visiting the Munro to find the wreckage:
2017-06-16 ben tirran 056.JPG

Zoomed Mount Keen. We climbed it from Tanar side, but I guess it's just as entertaining a walk from Glen Esk:
2017-06-16 ben tirran 069.JPG

We spent some time on the top of the Snub, taking pictures and enjoying the panos (cloud was descending slowly and we were afraid we might get no views from the true summit later on). Loch Brandy and the corrie below are the most interesting features:
2017-06-16 ben tirran 072.JPG

Looks like a very recent landslide:
2017-06-16 ben tirran 074.JPG

We continued at a lazy pace along the edge of the corrie, taking photos of Loch Brandy and the cliffs from different spots :D
2017-06-16 ben tirran 079.JPG

Definitely a recent landslide!
2017-06-16 ben tirran 098.JPG

Loch Brandy seen from the rocks half way to Green Hill:
2017-06-16 ben tirran 096.JPG

Green Hill was the next target. Not much of an ascent and there are paths everywhere :D
2017-06-16 ben tirran 109.JPG

One last look at the beautiful Loch Brandy and its crags, before we headed for the Corbett summit:
2017-06-16 ben tirran 115.JPG

View south-east to lower Glen Clova and the green rural landscape:
2017-06-16 ben tirran 122.JPG

Mount Keen from Green Hill:
2017-06-16 ben tirran 124.JPG

The traverse from Green Hill to White Hill is a pretty boring exercise to be honest. After all the delights of Loch Brandy, we were slightly disappointed by what followed. Just green grass and peat hags...
2017-06-16 ben tirran 126.JPG

Navigation is made easier by following a fence, which is supposed to be electric but at the moment, electricity has packed up and moved away :lol: :lol: :lol:
2017-06-16 ben tirran 128.JPG

Past a small lochan called Stony Loch, we continued along the fence, climbing the final 50m up easy, grassy slope to the summit of The Goet. At 896m, this is one of the highest Corbetts though it doesn't feel like a tough climb. We just about managed a few snaps and poses before a shower came along and cloud obstructed the views.
Corbett no. 124 for me, no. 46 for wee Lucy:
2017-06-16 ben tirran 132.JPG

Looking back the way we came, Lochnagar to the left:
2017-06-16 ben tirran 138.JPG

Driesh and Mayar, with cloud coming in:
2017-06-16 ben tirran 136.JPG

The rain didn't last but the cloud the clag held onto the summit so after a short refreshment break we headed down the slopes to Loch Wharral. Despite similar location and features, it's less spectacular than Loch Brandy, but made for a nice addition to the day's efforts:
2017-06-16 ben tirran 149.JPG

There is a well-worn path heading down to the loch and a small hut, but we took a short detour to the banks of the loch for some photos:
2017-06-16 ben tirran 151.JPG

The new hut is an estate bothy, open for walkers, a nice place to hide if weather turns nasty:
2017-06-16 ben tirran 163.JPG

A newly constructed dirt track leads from the hut all the way down to the road, but we left the track at 358723, where we found the remnants of the old path. We crossed Wharral Burn and almost tripped over an overturned TV aerial. It's mentioned in WH description as a landmark - no longer there I'm afraid.
The old path must still be used by walkers, because it can easily be followed along the edge of Adielinn plantation and back to the road. If reversing the route, this is the gate where the path starts:
2017-06-16 ben tirran 166.JPG

Now, we still had 3km to walk back on tarmac, but the road was very quiet so it was a pleasant way to end the day:
2017-06-16 ben tirran 170.JPG

I'd say, not a cracker maybe, but a real crowd-pleaser, with the Snub and Loch Brandy stealing the show :D Well worth doing on a sunny day when views to higher hills to the north would be better than we had. And in winter - a superb route!
The following day saw us trudging up Lochnagar, searching for the lost Firefly... TR to come soon.
Last edited by BlackPanther on Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: Up the Snub!

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:44 am

The Snub looks quite good. Never heard of it. As is often the case with your reports! :D :lol:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:50 am

Mal Grey wrote:The Snub looks quite good. Never heard of it. As is often the case with your reports! :D :lol:

I guess this route (and tops) are quite popular locally, The Snub is a very prominent peak above Glen Clova and there is excellent access on great paths to both lochs and corries. But I haven't heard about it either, that is before we actually went there to climb the Corbett. Well worth visiting the Snub first, it's the highlight of the whole route!

I have more obscure hills up my sleeve (though Jax beat me to Gaick Corbetts!) :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby Blokewithastroke » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:19 am

My wife and I did this walk - or most of it - over two years ago when we visited the area for a couple of days as tourists from 'way down south'. We stayed in the hotel - the second night almost on our own! - and took the chance on the last day to climb up to the top of Green Hill before making our way round and down the Snub. It was very windy up there - which meant that coming down was a real adventure! From your route it looks as though the new path has made this slightly less of an adventure - despite the very impressive landslide!
Blokewithastroke
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:15

Postby katyhills » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:21 pm

BP - I did this walk last December, but went up the other side of Brandy as I hadn't quite decided which route I was going to take to and from Tirran/The Goet, and reports were saying the best views of the corrie were from that side. It meant that I missed out on seeing a memorial that is up at the top of the Snub . I only knew about it because there was a wreath with an inscription on it at the huge boulder at the foot of the hill, and I had a look online when I got home to find out about it.

DSCF3312 (640x465).jpg

I assumed it had been put there because it was quite soon after Remembrance Day, but it was for this young lad - Luke Ireland, a marine - who had died on 14th November 2014 after going running. Did you see it at all? I intend going back one day to pay my respects. It's a sad story.
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby BlackPanther » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:20 pm

Blokewithastroke wrote:My wife and I did this walk - or most of it - over two years ago when we visited the area for a couple of days as tourists from 'way down south'. We stayed in the hotel - the second night almost on our own! - and took the chance on the last day to climb up to the top of Green Hill before making our way round and down the Snub. It was very windy up there - which meant that coming down was a real adventure! From your route it looks as though the new path has made this slightly less of an adventure - despite the very impressive landslide!

I can imagine going down that slope in strong winds! The new path is great, I'm sure it will soon be finished. May be even worth changing the WH route to include the Snub but that's not up to me :wink: :lol:

katyhills wrote:BP - I did this walk last December, but went up the other side of Brandy as I hadn't quite decided which route I was going to take to and from Tirran/The Goet, and reports were saying the best views of the corrie were from that side. It meant that I missed out on seeing a memorial that is up at the top of the Snub . I only knew about it because there was a wreath with an inscription on it at the huge boulder at the foot of the hill, and I had a look online when I got home to find out about it.

We did see it but didn't photograph it. A sad story, indeed. Feels a bit like visiting plane crash sites. There are so may of such places on the hills now... Also memorials to people whose ashes were scattered on the hills. Puts life in perspective...

On a funny note when I googled "The Snub summit" I got loads of photos of angry Donald Trump :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby katyhills » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:30 pm

Thanks for that reply BP. I was concerned when you showed the pic of that landslide, that it might have disappeared.
Lovely set of photos. It's a bonny walk on a decent day - very straightforward and great views. I did it a similar way to you but dropped down to Wharral en route to Tirran/The Goet, to take a look at the corrie. Brandy is the nicer spot though :)

It's a slightly underrated walk I think.

I came down at the little cottage a bit further along the road. It was the week before Christmas, and there was a turkey on the wrong side of the fence, but I didn't have room in the ruckie for him! :lol:
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland