walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruachan Horseshoe anti-clockwise

Cruachan Horseshoe anti-clockwise

Postby Bmg99 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:22 pm

Route description: Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Date walked: 08/07/2017

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 1513m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Cruachan horseshoe has been on my to do list for a while, so with a half decent weather forecast my 16 year old and I headed off from Glasgow for a day on the hills. When we got to the "car park" at the Falls of Cruachan station there were already a number of cars lining the road.

We duly headed off up through the wood on a path that is so well defined that it is almost a trench in places. The trees surrounding the path in places provided handy grab rails with which to pull yourself up some of the bigger steps.

(Looking back to Loch Awe).

The wooded area ends when you reach a stile to cross the high fence. The stile has seen better days and is a bit shoogly. The path from the stile to the access road to the dam was very boggy and at one point my right foot disappeared in the sludge :(

(Getting near the dam).

The Walk Highlands guide says takes you to the left side of the dam, up onto the dam itself and then along the landrover tack on the west shore of the reservoir. Having looked at the map it seemed much more nature, to me at least, to go along the right side of the reservoir and head to the shoulder of Stob Garbh.

(Looking up the burn that flows from the Lairig Torran).

(Looking across to Cruachan).

(Loch Awe snaking its way down to Ford).

The walk from the side of the reservoir to the south ridge of Stob Garbh was very pleasant. The path is quite faint and disappears in boggy sections. However, visibility was good and the grass underfoot not too long, so we spotted where we wanted to get to and headed for that spot.

(Who needs a path).

Our route brought us across is oddity. I looks like a metal fence post of some sort rising from a metal and concrete base.

Alistair enjoying his day so far.

Once we reached the ridge of Stob Garbh the wind was strong and cool and we each put on our jackets from our rucksacks.

Stob Diamh.

Looking across the Cruachan the weather looked not too bad. However, the strong wind was blowing lower cloud in our direction.

(Looking back towards Stob Diamh).

The walk along the ride via Drochaid Ghlas and onto Cruachan was very enjoyable. It was on this section that we started to meet people heading in the other direction.

Unfortunately, when we reached the top of Cruachan there was no view to the west as the weather had closed in a little. However, it was still clear enough for a couple of pics at the broken concrete trig point.

Given the weather on the summit was not great we decided against heading onto Stob Dearg - that will be for another day. We descended to the bealach and then picked up the rather eroded path that follows the burn down to the top of the reservoir.

The route back to the car was simple enough; follow the landrover track to the head of the dam, climb down the ladder and then pick up the path back through the trees to the car.

As sods law would have it, by the time we got back to the car the clouds had cleared to leave a beautiful blue sky.

All in all it was a good day out on some really nice hills. It reminded me of Snowdon approached from Pen - y - Pass, except without the hordes of tourists and summit café :D

Bmg99
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3

Re: Cruachan Horseshoe anti-clockwise

Postby Andymac75 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:52 pm

Well done :clap:

I did the Horseshoe anti-clockwise too.

And I'm glad I did.

The eroded path you mention at the bottom of Cruachan did not look like it would be fun to go up.
Andymac75

Postby Bmg99 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:54 pm

Andy,

Thanks for the comment. Totally agree about the path. Also, going anti-clockwise gives a long and nice view of Cruachan as you approach.
Bmg99
Munro compleatist

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:32 pm

Have yet to do this and when the time comes your description will come in handy - so thanks! :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Bmg99 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:11 am

Dogplodder - Great, glad my description could be of some help.
Bmg99
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland