walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beyond Assynt...

Beyond Assynt...

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:09 pm

Route description: Glas Bheinn from Inchnadamph

Corbetts included on this walk: Glas Bheinn (Assynt)

Date walked: 10/07/2017

Time taken: 16 hours

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Film -

Beyond Assynt…

Mention Assynt and the first few things that spring into my mountain brain start with an S! Suilven, Stac Pollaidh and then the mind wanders to the C’s – Cul Beag, Cul Mor , Canisp….

Beyond Assynt lies Sutherland, mountains such as Foinavan and Quinag take centre stage… A fabulous part of the country for sure.. So when flicking through the SMC Corbetts book a few years back I was intrigued by the “other “ mountains in the area. Ben Hee, Beinn Leoid, Glas Bheinn….. My interest was sparked… sometimes the lesser known hills in areas of such mountainous beauty hold their own little secrets – they usually give the best views to the better known hills!! Chrulaiste being my favourite example, although it’s secret has long left the building!
So a short spell of settled weather, in the North West saw me spilling over maps and investigating some nice easy wild camp options. I decided on Glas Bheinn, nice and close the road and giving the potential for some splendid views

Arriving at a small layby around 4pm (the Quinag car park was full!) I set off along a rather damp stalkers path. Soon after cresting a small rise (where Suilven came into view ;)) I decided that it was time to head upwards! Pathless and rocky near the top, I had to watch my footing. Even a drenching from a few showers didn’t quail my excitement…. I was soon making my way around a magnificent Corrie that held Loch a Choire Dheirg. The views here were amazing, and these didn’t even include any mountains – just lochs, lochans and sea – this was going to be a grand place to take photos later…. A short walk to the summit Cairn and the sun came back out, the rays drying away the dampness caused by the earlier rain. There was more good news – lots of flat grassy ground to pitch. Of course I went for a pitch with a view and soon had a porch with Assynt laid out before it!

Imageanisp by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageStac Pollaidh and Suilven by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

I love wild camping and I love taking piccies – especially of the sunsets and sunrises. However this is where summer in Scotland ain’t that good – there is only about 4 hrs between the two on top of a mountain at this time of year!!

ImageSutherland Lochs by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagesutherland skies by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imageislands in the sea by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageDusk in Scotland by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

So after watching the sunset around 10.30, I headed off to sleep- for a whole 3.5hrs. I woke at 03.30 and fumbled about the tent! Sunrise was meant to be at 04.30 but by the time I emerged from the tent it was nearer 4 and the sky was already turning an amazing shade over the summit. Cue lots of half a sleep panicking and I ran (well trotted and stumbled) to get to the summit before the light show ended.. Think I just made it – it was amazing as ever….

ImageSunrise in Sutherland by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Feeling pleased with myself I then lazed in the tent with the door open and watched as the rising sun lit up Assynt… What an experience…. By 0530 the sun was up and it was time to head off. I was back in the car for 07.30 so decided on a wee trip past Lochinver and round the coast. An amazing car journey on a twisty road…. I had been so lucky! So much so that I didn’t even mind the 4.5 hr drive home 

Side note – with phrases like “watched with the tent door open” I know some of you will be wondering if the local wildlife came to play- well I can say with hand on heart that not one midge visited me whilst on the mountain (it was breezy the night b4 but still in the morning !! – they must have been waiting on my return at the car ;))

ImageLoch Sionasgag by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageAssynt landscapes by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageAssynt Mirror by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr
wilkiemurray

Re: Beyond Assynt...

Postby Sgurr » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:13 pm

Fabulous pictures. Felt rather guilty pressing a friend into ascending this with us just because we had done the others nearby one holiday. If we had scenes like this, I wouldn't have.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Sgurr wrote:Fabulous pictures. Felt rather guilty pressing a friend into ascending this with us just because we had done the others nearby one holiday. If we had scenes like this, I wouldn't have.

Thanks Sgurr - yeah some great hills from this one- glad I got some nice weather :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:04 pm

Wow! Just wow! Even more incredible than your usual pics and vids. Wonderful!

I've got to get to Assynt - if only it wasn't so damned far :(
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby inca » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:35 pm

Awesome video and pics. Assynt's a special place and the vid almost made me feel like I was there again. Thanks for posting.
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Gorgeous images, well worth the effort. Love the way the lochs seem to line up from the coire lochan to lead your eye to the sea across such a wonderful, rugged, landscape.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby simon-b » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:16 pm

A great place to camp!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:03 am

Alteknacker wrote:Wow! Just wow! Even more incredible than your usual pics and vids. Wonderful!

I've got to get to Assynt - if only it wasn't so damned far :(

Thanks - yes I agree - soo far away , but maybe that's adds to its magic too :) A geat place to visit, cant wait to get bck :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:04 am

inca wrote:Awesome video and pics. Assynt's a special place and the vid almost made me feel like I was there again. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Inca , hope you enjoyed the vid

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:05 am

Mal Grey wrote:Gorgeous images, well worth the effort. Love the way the lochs seem to line up from the coire lochan to lead your eye to the sea across such a wonderful, rugged, landscape.

Thanks Mal - Yeah it was almost as if they were lined up to create the photographer with a leading line :lol: A lovely spot :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:06 am

simon-b wrote:A great place to camp!

I was really impressed with this one - so many places to camp up top - must admit I was starting to wonder on the way up as I battled through the boulder field and scree!! Pleasantly surprised with the amount of grass on top to camp on :)
wilkiemurray

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland