walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Deer stalking

Deer stalking

Postby Briqual » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:50 am

Hi all, I only really started getting out and about in the hills this spring so have never encountered the issue of deer stalking on my wanders. I've seen notices up advising to stay on certain routes during stalking season but was wondering if there are any laws / rules / etiquette that we need to follow during stalking season. Last thing I want to do is interfere with somebody's sport (even if I don't necessarily agree with it) or upset the estate managers or gamekeepers.

I also would like to know my rights on this as I've already this year had somebody advise me that gamekeepers wouldn't be happy if my dogs disturbed nesting grouse - even though I'm pretty sure the wild grouse don't actually belong to the estate as such.
Briqual
Mountaineer

Munros:173   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Deer stalking

Postby gaffr » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:12 am

Sunday is a day when no Stalking takes place. Of course not all hills have deer stalking taking place on their slopes.
See the Percy Unna contribution when he purchased several mountain areas where no stalking/shooting was to take place....NTS. I'm sure that on the old old OS maps these areas were 'lined out' but now it seems that there is just a wee symbol to indicate in each of the areas.
Grouse....I am sure that the folks who look after the moors where there are managed grouse will say that it takes a great deal of work to create the conditions where there are big numbers of healthy birds.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Arthurs Eat » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:13 am

Many estates do a lot to assist walkers including the provision of bothies. A lot of people also rely on the estates for employment and management of the environment. Best policy is to work with them. I would hate to think someone was interfering with my employment as part of their leisure.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:14   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:19 am

Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby jmarkb » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:32 am

See also: https://www.mountaineering.scot/campaigns/safeguarding-access/deer-stalking

In practice, there are few restrictions outside of the period from mid-August to 21st October, or on the popular routes on the majority of Munros.
Last edited by jmarkb on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby malky_c » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:33 am

Official guidance here, including some estate-specific information:
http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby BobMcBob » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:44 am

I had a very good chat with one of the Coulin estate guys who I met in the hills one day. I asked whether I should be avoiding any specific areas that day and his response was "I wouldn't worry about it, we usually see you before you see us".

I liked his use of the word "usually" :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Briqual » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:59 pm

Thanks folks, some good advice.

Seems to be based on mutual respect and manners so I don't see any issue from my perspective. Totally agree that the estates are good to walkers so we need to consider their income streams regardless of whether we agree with how it's done or not.
Briqual
Mountaineer

Munros:173   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby KatTai » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:07 pm

Briqual wrote:
I also would like to know my rights on this as I've already this year had somebody advise me that gamekeepers wouldn't be happy if my dogs disturbed nesting grouse - even though I'm pretty sure the wild grouse don't actually belong to the estate as such.

Under the Scottish Outdoor Access Code dogs should be kept under control in the bird breeding season, dogs don't just disturb grouse there are lots of other ground nesting birds out on the hills - golden plover, hen harrier, dotterel, lapwing, curlew etc as well as other wildlife. It is actually a criminal offence to disturb breeding birds and that includes by not keeping your dog under control.

Most estates I've found have notices up saying where they are stalking and which routes are away from stalking, and there are phone lines you can call and a recorded message will let you know when and where stalking is taking place beforehand. The numbers to call are usually put up on the route descriptions too. If the estate has a updated website you can usually find the information there as well. Most places don't do stalking on Sundays but some do. I've not been effected by deer stalking on any walks yet, the most I've seen has been the landrover carrying the carcasses back and they just give a friendly wave.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion