walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr Fiona, Compleation, a special mountain, a special day

Sgurr Fiona, Compleation, a special mountain, a special day

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:56 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill (An Teallach), Sgùrr Fiona (An Teallach)

Date walked: 01/07/2017

30 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A couple of years back someone started a thread ‘Saving A Hill For Last’ asking folk on which mountain they would like to compleat. For me, and some others, there was never any question, it had to be An Teallach, a true mountain, and I would be true to my reply on that thread. Curiously it was two years to the day, of that thread :wink:

I had summited my penultimate Munro back in September 2015, on Sgurr Dubh Mor on Skye, so it was almost 2 years before I would reach the summit of Sgurr Fiona. I had been close back in October 2012, in awe at the scenery on such a beautiful day, it was on Bidein a Ghlas Thuill before the realisation we had missed the summit of Fiona, having approached via the bypass, but an excuse to return, although none was really needed.

So it was a fair gap from that penultimate mountain to my compleation. It hadn’t been a good time and to be honest I had contemplated never compleating, after all it was just a number :(

Some say they are not looking to ‘tick’ hills, maybe not, but at some point they do, that certain milestone, 50, 100, 141 half way, 182 (only double figures remaining) etc. It is a journey, and despite anyone’s feelings about lists it gives some format, structure, to covering the many areas of Scotlands mountains, a huge challenge in itself.

But at the Christmas bash in December 2016, which I nearly backed out of, I arrived late into the festivities after work, greeted with kisses and hugs, and that was just the blokes :lol: , but as the evening became early morning I was approached about my compleation. Approached, gently persuaded, maybe a little bit of cajouling too, but in a kind way, my true friends knew, to set a date. My friends knew it had been a difficult time, but they also knew it was something I needed to do, and with their help, some of it alcoholic no doubt, a date was set. Maybe I had an epiphany :D

The plan was to ascend by the path from Dundonnell, not least as there would be some less experienced folk. But also to traverse the Corrag Bhuide Pinnacles. An Teallach has two Munros, but the true heart of the mountain lies beyond these two summits which can be picked off easily from the Dundonnell side, but to say you have ‘done’ An Teallach, having just summited the two Munro’s, well, you’re only kidding yourself. The true adventure lies in the traverse.

So, the arrangements began, mostly behind the scenes, as given my state of mind there were well founded fears that at any point I would succumb to the emotion and back out :( , and there were many occasions when my anxiety came to the fore and it would have been so easy to cancel. Life could be so much easier without emotion, so easy to slip back into any situation without a care, without the need for friendship, happiness or love, almost robotic, no point in living.

But to quote Spock :lol: , the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, and as the date came nearer I began to look forward to it, in no small part to the Chief Organiser, Debbie, the numerous communications and the arrival the day before of the Essex Crew. I had heard of a ‘Secret Covan’, their identities still secret as I write this, formed to ensure the day’s events went smoothly and to keep watch over me, before and during the event.

I penned an invite list way back at the start of the year and was glad I had not left Sgurr Dubh Mor on Skye as my last, given its tiny summit, as my list had 85 folk in it, not that Sgurr Fiona is that big. But I knew that number would slim down.

The Aultguish Inn was set as the venue for the post Compleation celebrations and I was under strict instructions not to be driving beyond that point to the start of the walk. Superhero’s was the theme, my nickname of the past 30 plus years influencing this.

I ordered a T Shirt for myself, not in the theme itself, but just a reminder of the effort taken to Compleat, and also to ensure that I was at least carrying the names of absent walking friends, both human and canine that couldn’t be there.

Fast forward to the 1st July 2017 and arrival at the Aultguish Inn and my chauffeur driven Porsche to the start of the walk awaits, festooned in balloons, a large spider across the boot, and the erm flags, with images of me, which I confess I had posted, now came back to haunt me.

F1.jpg

Group photo, superheros

F2.jpg

Part of the Secret Covan maybe? Loving the vinyl :wink:

F3.jpg

Arrival at Dundonnell and as is tradition pre-walk drinkies and snacks

F4.jpg

Also in the superheros theme

F5.jpg

More arrivals at the start, jeez will we all fit at the summit??

F6.jpg

The T shirt, front view

F7.jpg

The weather had been kind, at least from a precipitation perspective but the increasing wind became a challenge. At the col between the two Munro’s there was some respite on descent and for a while it cleared, just a teasing reminder of such a special mountain.

F8.jpg

The group made their way to the summit in the usual manner to await my arrival. I had held back as one of the Essex crew was unwell on the approach but once sure he was on track, I made my way up.
Can’t quite believe it, but no tears.

F9.jpg

Even the GPS is pointing down at the summit

F10.jpg

My daughter had joked about bringing the tissues, but much to my surprise I didn’t need them, but as I write now I cannot help but well up. A huge hug.

F11.jpg

Summit celebrations, and I made the teenager have a dram (don’t tell mum)

F12.jpg

T donning the shower cap, one of my trademarks apparently :lol:

F13.jpg

The gusting wind had put paid to any thoughts of traversing the full An Teallach ridge, so we all retreated to Dundonnell and the Aultguish to continue the celebrations. I must confess that despite the wind I felt rather warm at the summit, can’t think why.

My good friend Jonny arrived in customary compleation shirt. Jonny couldn't make the start for the walk, but we won't say here, 'What happens in the hills, stays in the hills' :lol:

F14.jpg

And the evening has only just begun, no summit but it never stopped a languish

F15.jpg

The evening with family

F16.jpg

F17.jpg

And gifts, I had a spot reserved for An Teallach and now I can fill it

F18.jpg

And good friends

F19.jpg

Willie and Jonny, the comedians, laughter tonic on and off the hills

F20.jpg

The ladies

F21.jpg

My good friend David main, huge credit for the photos, which you may have noticed I’ve used here.

F22.jpg

Huge thank you to my chauffeur and organiser, Terry and Debbie, I cannot thank you enough.

F23.jpg

F24.jpg

Gifts, overwhelmed to say the least

F26.jpg

Folk often wonder what next after compleations. I have and still do, for sure. Not just in the walking itself but life :?

Living in Miltonduff, I continue to walk, I’ll not be looking to redo the journey, although I’m already 60 plus Munros into round 2, and my good friends have more earmarked as I join them on their own journeys, but most of all I enjoy helping others, and not for my own self-serving.

It has always been my passion, my thing, each to their own. Some try it, get the bug, others just don’t get it and some fall somewhere in the middle, thinking it may add an element of adventure in their lives, something to prove, without never really appreciating it for what it is, actions as always speak more than words ever can.

It can be many things but for me it has always been the simple enjoyment of being in the wilds, self sufficient, be it alone or with true friends, where one can lose oneself (literally in some cases) or maybe even find oneself.

It can leave a void, a huge one, not just in the pursuit of hill walking but in life itself, is there anything left to do, what next, where does one go from here, Miltonduff or elsewhere, I don’t have any of those answers, yet, but I’m told its ok not to have the answers, something not easy to accept :?

I’ll end my ramblings with a heartfelt thank you, to my family who have endured my passion, for my children and my long-suffering wife, for which I’m deeply sorry, but it is what makes me who I am :D . Thank you to my many true friends who know me too well and will understand how truly humbled I am to have you as friends and feel that I didn’t deserve such a wonderful compleation, the photos, the gifts which I’ll treasure, and most of all the friendship and memories, I hope there will be many more :D .

Finally, not to forget. I didn’t post a photo of the back of my T Shirt but it was in memory of my dear friends who never made it this far, to Fitzy and Eric who tragically succumbed to cancer some years back. Also to my two Springer dogs, Sam, and my walking companion Holly, who I miss dearly :(

I'm conscious that I can't include everyone in the photos or mentioned each and everyone of you, but you all know who you are and I will never forget such a special day, Thank you x :D

‘Come with me and climb the mountains and get their good tidings,
Natures peace will flow into us; the winds will blow freshness into us;
And the storms, their energy;
While cares will drop off from us like autumn leaves’
Anon
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Re: Sgurr Fiona, Compleation, a special mountain, a special

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:09 pm

Once again well done on your Compleation my friend.

You are what you are,and we love you for that please dont try & change.

So onwards & upwards.

And as you have said "The Notch" awaits :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby David-Main » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:22 pm

It was a privilege to be at your completion Dave. What a wonderful day it was " Apart from the weather at the summit ".
I even managed to crack 2 ribs 50m from the car on the way back but never felt a thing after a few drams with great people.
Once again ... Well done mate :clap: :clap:
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:280   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:41 pm

Very well done on the Compleation Dave, an unforgettable day with good friends, thanks for the invite would not have missed for the world. Keep on getting on the hills we all need them :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby scoob999 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:50 pm

Many congratulations again my friend, priviliged to have been on part of your journey and on your final summit :D

P.S I must get the video done :shock: just been really busy :(

Long may the journey continue :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby roscoT » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:54 pm

Well done on your compleation. Great report - you don't get a much better final munro :clap: :clap: :clap:
roscoT
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:33
Fionas:20   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:5   Islands:15

Postby katyhills » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:58 pm

Congratulations on your compleation, and on a beautiful report - well maybe not that vinyl..... :shock: :lol:
What a choice for your final hill. Hard to beat. You'll enjoy hanging that pic and looking at that 'spot' for a very long time.

I didn't need a hankie reading that poem....honest guv....
those cares drop away right enough.
Thanks for sharing that :)
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Mrs Scoob » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:00 pm

Superb! :thumbup: and congratulations again Dave! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Great to see you 'top out' and certainly not an ending... long may you continue to enjoy your adventures :D x
Mrs Scoob
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby dibs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:06 pm

Great heart felt report Dave and many feelings I am sure most of us can relate to at some point in our journey's. Enjoy the rest of your travels and hope to catch up with you at some point. Well done. :clap:
dibs
Munro compleatist

Munros:187   Corbetts:32
Fionas:29   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:100   Hewitts:2
Islands:15

Postby ancancha » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:36 pm

I remember posting on the penulitmate Sgurr Dubh Mor, journeys end at 281 :lol:
So glad you have now completed your completion :wink:
I don't care what anyone says, we are human and get a buzz out of the achievement, and completing all 282 munros is a very big achievement :!:
Very best wishes now and in the future spiderwebb :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby mountain thyme » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:00 pm

Well done on your compleation spidey :clap: :clap:

Thank you for the invite, would not have missed it for the world. A smashing weekend despite the weather

Hope to walk with you again soon :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:01 pm

Many congratulations on Compleating, and on having such a great bunch of mates to share it with. :clap:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby basscadet » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:17 pm

Aw well done - brilliant :clap:

My Sis is named after this one, and she is miffed the current maps have Fiona instead of the 'proper' Sgurr Fionnadh she was named after :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby 2manyYorkies » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:42 pm

A moving and wistful report there Dave. It's wonderful how the love of the hills can bring people together and open up new worlds of friendship, love and laughter (and painful legs and damaged livers ...).
The turnout just goes to show what lengths some folk will go to for a party (except for Jonny obviously, as he went to no lengths at all hill-wise ... :wink: ).
Wish I could have been there.
Am saving up for Zimmer frames for the lot of you when/if I ever get round to finishing ... :lol: :lol:
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:21 pm

Quite a shock, this! I remember vividly your exceptionally memorable 281 report from a couple of years ago, and had read it then as a compleation report (in my defence, so had a goof few others!). And the absence of reports from you on WH just consolidated that idea in my head.

Well, you certainly chose a great hill to compleat on; and it certainly looks like a good time was had by all!

Congratulations! It shouldn't stop you getting into the hills, though - right???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

30 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland