walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr a Mhadaidh & Sgurr a Ghreadaidh

Sgurr a Mhadaidh & Sgurr a Ghreadaidh

Postby pwilkinson » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr a' Ghreadaidh, Sgùrr a' Mhadaidh

Date walked: 02/07/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 997m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Was on Skye for a few days as my step-father has only a handful of Munros to do before he completes the set and I hadn't been since I conquered Bla Bheinn in the mist when I was 14. Luckily this time the weather was a little better....

We started at the Youth Hostel and followed the same route as described on this very site.

We followed the path all the way up past many impressive waterfalls to the large water slide.

After crossing the stream we headed on up into the Coire and got our first proper sight of An Dorus, where we were headed.

We kept following a fairly obvious path that stayed on the north bank of the stream before the path crossed it again and headed straight for An Dorus. In the full size version of this photo you can see another group approaching the scree below an dorus, to the left of the highest green patch.

The scramble up to Sgurr a' Mhadaidh was fairly simple and we were soon at the top, 2.5hrs after leaving the Youth Hostel. While we were having lunch another (larger and guided) group joined us at the summit making the whole place seem a bit crowded!

This next pic is taken from the summit of Mhadaidh and shows the stream which the path follows all the way back to the youth hostel - by the small patch of trees on the left.

And a couple of other shots from the summit, Bla Bheinn...

and the northern end of the ridge...

We scrambled back down to An Dorus

Before heading up the other side of An Dorus to Ghreadaidh. This was a more difficult scramble to get out of An Dorus, but after the first few metres it was fine. Later on getting back down this short bit to an dorus was probably the hardest part of the day and required some guiding for most of the group "left foot down a bit".

The view of Mhadaidh (complete with people on the summit) from the top of Greadaidh.

(second) Lunch at the top of Greadaidh.

Loch Coruisk from the summit.

Looking along the ridge to the south top of Greadaidh - I read somewhere that this is the narrowest arrete in Britain, but it seemed pretty wide when I got there - these things always look more dramatic from a distance.

From the top we went back down to An Dorus then followed the path back to the youth hostel.

When we got back, what had started out as a (still amazing) patchy blue sky was now almost completely blue.

A fantastic day on the Black Cuillin Ridge.

Larger photos of the day and the rest of my time on Skye can be seen here. I may write up the trip up Sgurr na Stri later on.
Last edited by pwilkinson on Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pwilkinson

Munros:18   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Sgurr a Mhadaidh & Sgurr a Ghreadaidh

Postby mountain coward » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:11 am

Some superb photos there... but you've made Mhadaidh look scarier than I was getting used to :( I'd just about got used to the idea of having a go at it... that scramble looks really, really steep in your photo, and I think photos normally make things look milder so now I'm thinking it must be awful!
mountain coward

Postby skuk007 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:01 pm

Great pictures, and some scary looking drops.

Do you have any pics of this bit?
pwilkinson wrote:Later on getting back down this short bit to an dorus was probably the hardest part of the day and required some guiding for most of the group "left foot down a bit".

I was thinking that when I get confident enough to attempt the Skye Munros (years away yet :) ) I would need a guide for them all but this looks like it might be possible on my own, if I got lucky with the weather and took my time. Is the path/route to these two pretty easy to find?
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Scotjamie » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:54 pm

Great report that fills in some of the photo gaps from my Sgurr a'Mhadaidh report last month. Also encourages me to attempt Greta this summer - in fact can't wait now. Thanks
For skuk007's benefit, my own experience taught a feartie these hills, whilst scrambly, are even easier than the photos sometimes show.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:23 am

You can't wait?? You're not quite like me then! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby pwilkinson » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:52 pm

skuk007 wrote:Do you have any pics of this bit?
pwilkinson wrote:Later on getting back down this short bit to an dorus was probably the hardest part of the day and required some guiding for most of the group "left foot down a bit".

I was thinking that when I get confident enough to attempt the Skye Munros (years away yet :) ) I would need a guide for them all but this looks like it might be possible on my own, if I got lucky with the weather and took my time. Is the path/route to these two pretty easy to find?

I'm afraid I don't have any pics of that bit as on the way up I just went up quickly then shouted encouraging remarks down to the rest of the group, and on the way down I was pre-occupied with making sure they got down okay. It's hard to give it a difficulty, but I would say that it is definitely a metre and a half or so of climbing as opposed to just scrambling. Everyone in the group managed it fine though, without rope. It would certainly be harder if the rocks were wet.

The path to both of them is really easy to find.

I think the photos of the scrambling near the top of Mhadaidh make it look steeper than it was. At this point there isn't really a specific path or route as the whole thing is an easy scramble.
pwilkinson

Munros:18   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:03 pm

Okay great - thanks for the extra info - I'm definitely hoping I can get that one done... don't think I'll be able to the Ghreadaidh side though...
mountain coward

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:16 pm

mountain coward wrote:Okay great - thanks for the extra info - I'm definitely hoping I can get that one done... don't think I'll be able to the Ghreadaidh side though...

MC - this is a pic I did not use in my mhadaidh report but shows the angle and gives some impression of the first two metres of ascent on the Greadaidh side.
LPIC2132.JPG
As one feartie to another, you can.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby mountain coward » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:02 am

ONly just seen this Scotjamie - thanks for the extra pic - if it's only 2 metres and the landing is wide enough, I should be fine for that bit...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland