walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Birthday Pinn

The Birthday Pinn

Postby Jaxter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:51 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Dearg and the In Pinn

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle, Sgùrr Mhic Chòinnich

Date walked: 09/07/2017

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 12.66 km

Ascent: 1267m

24 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was time for the Inn Pinn Take 2. Due to work commitments it was just before 7.30pm on Saturday evening when I left Glasgow, with the aim of getting as far North as possible :D As I left Fort William it began to rain heavily and it was getting dark. Driving through Kintail it was approaching midnight, very wet and there were plenty of deer around. Soon I could go no further, found a wee spot near Dornie and crawled onto the back seat of my car as it was far too minging to be bothering with tents :crazy:

And so it was that I awoke on the morning of my 28th birthday, asleep on the back seat of my car cuddling a pair of (fortunately clean) walking socks :lol: Moving back to the front of the car without opening the door (the wind had dropped and all the midges in the world were out :shock: ) I headed for Skye. The bad weather from the night before had cleared and it was looking promising.

After a quick stop in Broadford to change and brush my teeth, it was onwards to Sligachan where I met the team at 8.30. The “Team” consisted of Lynne, Darren and myself from last time, Laura had (very cleverly) morphed into Harry, and of course the legend that is Paddy 8)

We headed down to Glen Brittle and Paddy fitted us out with hard hats and harnesses and said we needed to carry two ropes between the 4 of us. With a little encouragement, the two gentlemen Darren and Harry “offered” to carry the ropes on the way up :lol:

An impressive waterfall after the previous evenings rainfall

And so we were off :thumbup: Paddy set a nice steady pace; there was barely a breath of wind and we were all sweating furiously. A welcome stream provided an opportunity for a breather and for me to top up my water as I’d forgotten to do it before :roll:

Paddy, Darren and Harry

The views out to sea were clearing nicely and looking backing down to Glen Brittle we could see that there were still no cars in the carpark – Paddy said that it was the quietest it had been all season. Bizarre as the weather was good :crazy: All good for us though…. :thumbup:

Rum and Canna

Rum and Eigg

Sgurr Alasdair beginning to appear

A group shot

We plodded on and eventually Paddy told us to put our hats and harnesses on. I was pretty glad of a wee bit of recent rock-climbing experience as I made less of an arse of putting my harness on than the male contingent :lol:

Sgurr Alasdair (and the great stone chute) and Sgurr Mhic Choinnich

The whole of the stone chute came into view

Just around the corner the Pinn itself began to come into view. Initially it looked pretty tiny. Don’t know what we were worrying about…

Then it got a bit bigger. Still, no problems…

Then…ah…. :crazy: :crazy:

So after various discussions about how we could run away without losing face, we were instructed to leave our packs and make our way down to the base of the Pinn. Paddy and Lynne cleverly strapped my camera to me (if I was going up this thing I damn well wanted some evidence :lol: )

And we headed downwards, carefully picking our way across slabs to gain the relative safety of the base of the Pinn.

I think this is me asking Paddy how many times he’s been up the Pinn… “Not quite 1000” :shock: apparently!!

“Helping” Paddy :lol:

Paddy got to work doing a thing with ropes while we all milled around getting in the way. We were paired up and attached to ropes, the men getting first go….

Getting roped up

Paddy scampered off up as if he’d done it hundreds of times before…oh… :lol: and then the guys received the call. Darren and Harry were off!

Lynne smiling before the off

Lynne and I just had to wait, as Darren and Harry disappeared out of view and eventually we were instructed to get going….

There were some awkward bits but we managed them without any major problems and soon enough we met the others at the belay point.

Lynne had time for a smile as we approached the belay point

Paddy clipped us onto the sling and the four of us were reunited on a tiny ledge with a huge drop below :lol: Good job nobody unclipped the wrong rope….Darren…. :wink:

While Paddy prepared for the second pitch, we were looking around us – although the views were very limited we were able to see The Drop :lol:

Nobody much fancied getting a camera out here so here is an artists impressions :lol:

Soon it was time, Paddy disappeared upwards followed by the guys. Lynne and I were left on our ledge and although there was very little wind we were starting to get cold and wondering what on earth Darren and Harry were up to :lol:

Eventually we go the call; as last climber I was responsible for collecting the sling which I wound up and we were off. Mostly this section was much easier although on an awkward section near the top I had everyone in stitches as I pioneered a new climbing move – The Starfish, which Darren described as 18 points of contact as I tried to reach a hold :lol: Luckily there were no photos of this :lol:

Lynne and I nearly there

Climbing up the last bit…

Clipping us all onto another sling, we were all at the top!! It was actually pretty spacious up there 8)

Selfie :D :D

The views were on and off…

We all made our way over to the top block and hunkered down in another relatively spacious area. Although we weren’t allowed to climb on top, Paddy offered to arrange the rope so we could touch it as there was nobody else around. Darren was keen and we all figured we may as well be purists :D

Group shot

Paddy sorting ropes

The main man organising our heroics

Lynne touching the top

Short person problems – finally touching the top!

There was also something else that needed to happen…. “you’re not roped on” I was warned. “Don’t worry, I won’t tell my Mum…” :lol:

We were starting to get chilly and we were all…err standing on top of an exposed piece of rock so it was time to get off. Paddy sorted the ropes and it was time for abseiling! This was definitely the best bit….Wheeee!! :D :D

Darren about to go over the edge

Harry off…

Good grief, Lynne’s smiling :lol:

Lynne, mid-abseil

Me and Paddy probably enjoying some hilarious banter :lol:

Me on the way down

It took Paddy about 2 seconds to get down…I guess he’d done it a few times before :lol:

We climbed the few metres back to the rucksacks, and looking at my Fenix I realised that it had probably been the most intense 5km of my life :lol: Banter was flowing as we enjoyed sandwiches and enviously eyed up Paddy’s flask of coffee :wink: We could see two people on the Pinn, the only others we would see all day!

After a nice break, we packed up and headed back down the slabs but continued further. According to Paddy this was the most dodgy bit of the day, but as there were no other people around and the conditions were mostly dry there were no major issues as we carefully made our way downwards.

Paddy pointing out a rockfall

The reason for this descent was to bypass An Stac which would have required more rope action. Reaching the bealach we ditched our packs again as Sgurr Mhic Choinnich was to be an out and back trip from here.

The caption contest – Lynne and I are in disagreement :lol:

Out to Bla Bheinn and the Red Cuillin

Jaxter ahead

Paddy led us over some pretty fun terrain as we made our way up Sgurr Mhic Choinnich. Although there were some awkward places there was nothing particularly difficult and we were all having fun.

A wee window with a view

The views were excellent towards the Red Cuillin but the Glen Brittle side was firmly in the clag – it was as if the ridge we were standing on was acting as a buffer :lol:

Before long we were at the top and Paddy was able to tell us about the occasion the plaque on top was destroyed by lightning :shock:

A few pictures were taken but as the views didn’t seem likely to change we headed back down.

Paddy looking bemused :lol:

This was leaving the summit I think

The others descending something tricky, watched over by Paddy

The last summit in the UK to be climbed, according to Paddy

The ridge looking spectacular

Arriving back at the bags, we had a water break before getting ready for the descent. The An Stac screes were our route down. Darren, after his experience on the Stone Chute the day before set off at a trot :lol:

I put one foot on the scree and went flying, much to everyone’s amusement. Man down!! :lol: We slipped and slid our way down and had a break down the bottom to remove half the mountain from our boots :lol:

At the Lochan

From here we made our way past the lochan and we then finally allowed to remove our hats! We were back into the sun and it was a very pleasant but warm walk out back to the Glen Brittle mountain hut.

Loch Brittle

Happy team!

As we happily removed boots and enjoyed the feeling of a successful trip, Lynne produced a birthday cake and a bottle of champagne :lol: Lynne, you’re a legend :D

Darren and Lynne ensuring that none went to waste :lol:

Darren, Harry and I headed for the Slig where we treated ourselves to a pub dinner and made plans for the following day. We also bumped into the two people who we saw on the Pinn after us so we stayed for longer than planned. I managed to catch the end of a beautiful sunset before we hit the hay after what had been the best birthday ever :D

Sunset on the Red Cuillin

And on the Black

Glen Sligachan, home for the night

PART 2
Attachments

Inn Pinn & Sgurr Mhic Choinnich.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Jaxter on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: The Birthday Pinn

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:20 pm

Yep - definitely hard to imagine a better place to be on one's birthday than the Cuillin Ridge! If there are a couple of high pressure days forecast over there this year, I'm definitely going to get up there again.

How did you feel about the difficulty of the Inn Pinn having done it? Technically it doesn't seem that difficult, but it is fantastically exposed (especially if you insist on doing a Jaxter flying pose... :roll:).

I'd been kind of expecting it on the very summit.... :D
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby simon-b » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:46 pm

A good place to celebrate, J, whatever the reason: you for your birthday, and my friend because it was her first Munro. It's not such a bad climb, is it? Paddy must have been in a good mood if he let you all touch the top! I managed to persuade him to let me do the same, although that made him look slightly more bemused than in your photo. Bagging a high point with your hand is fine as far I'm concerned. Well done to all of you :clap:
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Coop » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:09 pm

No jealous , much
No really I'm not
Not even a little

:clap:
That looked and read fantastic

Oh
And a happy belated birthday
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:26 pm

Fantastic way to celebrate your birthday, certainly one to remember :D . I will remember the starfish hold, may come in useful :lol: :lol:
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:34 pm

Yay, at last! Congrats and belated Happy Birthday!

Good effort on the Jaxter pose too :clap:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Stevesmith159 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:13 am

Great report and pics. Well done all.
Stevesmith159
Munro compleatist

Munros:57   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:120
Wainwrights:168   Islands:18

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:09 am

Well done all, and belated Happy Birthday J :clap:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby dibs » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:14 am

Well done all and Jackie it was a great way to spend your birthday. Paddy's face is a real picture and he has seen many nutters in his time. Great report and pics. :clap:
dibs
Munro compleatist

Munros:187   Corbetts:32
Fionas:29   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:100   Hewitts:2
Islands:15

Postby hutchy1 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:05 pm

A great report Jackie you captured the day well
hutchy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:279   Corbetts:20
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:113
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:57 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Yep - definitely hard to imagine a better place to be on one's birthday than the Cuillin Ridge! If there are a couple of high pressure days forecast over there this year, I'm definitely going to get up there again.

How did you feel about the difficulty of the Inn Pinn having done it? Technically it doesn't seem that difficult, but it is fantastically exposed (especially if you insist on doing a Jaxter flying pose... :roll:).

I'd been kind of expecting it on the very summit.... :D

Yeah it's just such a magical place :D I'll be back first time the weather and my time off are compatible. Technically not difficult at all. Few awkward bits if you're a wee bit...vertically challenged :lol: If you've done a tiny bit of climbing/abseiling before it might be good just to know what to expect - I certainly found it a huge help. All depends how you'll deal with The Drop, and you don't know that til you're there :wink:

simon-b wrote:A good place to celebrate, J, whatever the reason: you for your birthday, and my friend because it was her first Munro. It's not such a bad climb, is it? Paddy must have been in a good mood if he let you all touch the top! I managed to persuade him to let me do the same, although that made him look slightly more bemused than in your photo. Bagging a high point with your hand is fine as far I'm concerned. Well done to all of you :clap:

Yeah it was fine - there were a definitely a few "what the **** am I doing here?!" moments but nothing really scary. I'd do it again in an instant!! There was no-one else about so Paddy seemed happy to let us fanny around :lol:

Coop wrote:No jealous , much
No really I'm not
Not even a little

:clap:
That looked and read fantastic

Oh
And a happy belated birthday

:lol: :lol: Cheers - we definitely lucked out this time!! 8)

Cairngorm creeper wrote:Fantastic way to celebrate your birthday, certainly one to remember :D . I will remember the starfish hold, may come in useful :lol: :lol:

So long as you're not worried about dignity, it worked a treat :lol: :lol: Poor Paddy...I don't think he'll forget us in a hurry :lol:

Mal Grey wrote:Yay, at last! Congrats and belated Happy Birthday!

Good effort on the Jaxter pose too :clap:

Cheers - I knew I had to do it, never live it down otherwise :lol:

Stevesmith159 wrote:Great report and pics. Well done all.

Cheers :D :D

spiderwebb wrote:Well done all, and belated Happy Birthday J :clap:

Thanks Spider :D :D

dibs wrote:Well done all and Jackie it was a great way to spend your birthday. Paddy's face is a real picture and he has seen many nutters in his time. Great report and pics. :clap:

Yeah I dont think he'll forget us in a hurry :lol: :lol:

hutchy1 wrote:A great report Jackie you captured the day well

Cheers Darren - thanks for your part in it!! (And the few photos of yours I borrowed :wink: )
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Andymac75 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:17 pm

Well done all :clap:

Looks like an unforgettable experience.

I don't think I'm brave enough to attempt the Pinn.

I like heights ,but I don't like heights
Andymac75

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:53 pm

Definitely the way to do it, while you've had enough experience to know you should be ok, but before it starts looming up as an insurmountable obstacle to compleating, and certainly before you're 63 like me.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Jaxter » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:44 am

Andymac75 wrote:Well done all :clap:

Looks like an unforgettable experience.

I don't think I'm brave enough to attempt the Pinn.

I like heights ,but I don't like heights

Cheers - it was an amazing experience! If you go with a guide you're roped on so cannae fall aff :wink:

Sgurr wrote:Definitely the way to do it, while you've had enough experience to know you should be ok, but before it starts looming up as an insurmountable obstacle to compleating, and certainly before you're 63 like me.

Yeah I'm not sure how happy I'd have been doing it a year ago :shock: A lot of it is just confidence isn't it :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Andymac75 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Oh ,and I forgot to say...

Happy Birthday :D
Andymac75

24 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland