walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ingleborough and Simon Fell

Ingleborough and Simon Fell

Postby andy63 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:59 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Ingleborough, Simon Fell

Date walked: 25/05/2017

Time taken: 4.8

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 770m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I parked the car near Ribblehead station and got the train down to Hellifield and then back up to Clapham. It's about a mile from the station to Clapham village down country lanes.

IMG_1025.JPG

In the village there's a path leading up to Ingleborough Cave which has a toll on it.Although it wasn't expensive, I didn't like the idea of paying to use a footpath, so I took the slightly less convenient public footpath instead.
I dropped the camera on the ground and when I picked it up it was behaving strangely.

IMG_1026.JPG

Fortunately after a while the pictures went back to normal.
The public path joins the toll path near Ingleborough Cave (admission £10) then climbs steeply up Trow Gill before emerging onto the open hillside.

IMG_1029.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG

IMG_1031.JPG

There were quite a few people around, including a large group who were camping.

IMG_1032.JPG

It's not very often that the weather's Too Hot in this country, but the warm sunshine meant that the long trudge up to the false summit of Little Ingleborough was hard work.

IMG_1033.JPG
Ingleborough from Little Ingleborough

The flat summit area of Ingleborough is a good viewpoint, but it was a bit hazy so you couldn't see Morecambe Bay or the Lake District like you would on a clear day.

IMG_1034.JPG
Ingleborough summit

IMG_1035.JPG

IMG_1036.JPG
Whernside

After a short stony descent to the col I then followed the wall up to the grassy summit of Simon Fell

IMG_1038.JPG

IMG_1039.JPG
Simon Fell

IMG_1041.JPG
Simon Fell summit

And then over the 563m top of Park Fell.

IMG_1044.JPG
Ingleborough and Simon Fell from Park Fell

A steep grassy descent along a fence leads down towards a farm house, from where it should have been an easy walk back to the car along the road. Unfortunately, the way was blocked by some cows, and I was stuck on the wrong side of the railway, so I had to go through some fields, over a barbed wire fence and through an old quarry instead.

IMG_1046.JPG
Descent
andy63

Munros:114   Corbetts:8
Fionas:13   Donalds:27+12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

Re: Ingleborough and Simon Fell

Postby trailmasher » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:14 pm

Did both of these last year with E and found it very enjoyable :) and we too found our way by the quarry. Good report and pics of a good walk :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Walk cycle » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:22 pm

I walked these from Horton in May. I think those camping would have been the same pot holers who I was talking to.
20170514_131202.jpg

Good report. I found Simon Fell summit a little underwhelming!
20170514_111713.jpg
Walk cycle
Mountaineer

Munros:23   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:3   

Postby simon-b » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:22 pm

It's a nice way up Ingleborough from Clapham, Andy. I was on these hills two days before you. You got a better view than I did from their summits, but earlier on I'd had some great clear views from the two other famous hills in the area. I like your station to station route idea.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland