walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

SUW - Day 8 - Beattock to Glen Ettrick -May 2017

SUW - Day 8 - Beattock to Glen Ettrick -May 2017

Postby bargee » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:31 pm

Route description: Southern Upland Way

Date walked: 13/05/2017

Time taken: 1 day

Distance: 24.77 km

Ascent: 756m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Day 8 and the weather has broken the wall to wall sunshine has gone and the clouds are low and covering the hills.
today is a climb over the hills and into the Borders via Ettrick Head.
The stage is listed as going to StMarys loch but I've decided to cut at short at Glen Ettrick at 16 miles.
Full waterproofs on as Cath dropped me off on the bridge in Beattock by the old Telford hotel and the rain was falling as I found the geocache there before heading down a tree lined lane to duck under the M74 and away swishing my legs to cross the valley bottom.
Over a stile and the first climb of the day over a little hillock before descending back down to a small road, then after a view of a large house dived into the woods where i met a walker and his lovely two setters. said hello then walked on into a field with horse jumping fences.
The rain came down very heavily as I crossed the field and then crossed the minor road to start the climb up into the hills. It rained and rained and rained, trying to make up for the last dry 7 days since I left the coast.
Up the track until I saw the sign where the high level route split from the main track and despite the weather decided i wanted to climb up over Gateshaw rig and Croft head, rather than tramp along forestry tracks.
The weather was windy with cloud drifting through the trees and rain falling. the high level route drops down to cross a burn before following a wall through a recently felled section before joining a forest track and then turning uphill on a raised path which zigged and zagged steeply uphill into the cloud.

ImageTelfords hotel

ImageUnder the M74

Imageemerge on the otehr side and looking north towards Moffat but just rain and cloud
Imageno real idea what lies ahead up in the hills
Imageover the stile and a short climb
Imageat the top of the hillock could see the route upwards into the cloud

Imageinto the woods
fences but no horses
ImageImage
Imagethe sign at the start of the high level route

Image drops down to the footbridge to cross a burn
ImageThe route is over rough ground through a recently felled area
ImageClimbing the zig zag section steeply
Imageup into the cloud
ImageTo join a forestry track, I couldnt see alot so just walked in the direction the waymarks pointed
Image followed the track until i got to this sharp corner and the way heads up the steps and onto the moor to climb up to Gateshaw rig
Imagethe weather up on Gateshaw rig
ImageThe summit of Gateshaw rig, no view just cloud
Imagethe summit of croft head
ImageDown off croft head and down a zig zag path down cat shoulder to rejoin the main path by a large circular sheepfold where i had a rest sheltered behind a wall and had my lunch

ImageA short climb then the path contours through this steep sided valley, I met my first walkers since loch trool on day 4 when i met a group climbing up towards me in the rain, we said hello and they were amazed when i said that i was walking the whole route. Made me feel chuffed.
ImageThe footbridge at Ettrick Head
Imagecrossing from Dumfries and Galloway into the borders
Image heading into Glen Ettrick near Over Pawthorpe bothy
ImageThe bothy where i stopped for a rest and a dry out

Image glen ettrick and the weather is clearing

Cath met me in glen ettrick and took me away to dry out.
A fun day out in the rain the high level was great despite the lack of views.
bargee
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:108   Islands:19

Re: SUW - Day 8 - Beattock to Glen Ettrick -May 2017

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Hi bargee - really enjoying your info and photos on the SUW. Every bit of info helps as I'm doing this walk next year.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: SUW - Day 8 - Beattock to Glen Ettrick -May 2017

Postby bargee » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:16 pm

Thanks Gordie
IT was a grand walk and really pushed my limits on the long stages through galloway though i was very lucky with the weather as the ground was fir throughout when it could have been very boggy.
good luck with your walk and if you want any info just ask.
iain the bargee
bargee
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:108   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes