walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr Fiona, Compleation, a special mountain, a special day

Sgurr Fiona, Compleation, a special mountain, a special day

by spiderwebb » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:56 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill (An Teallach), Sgùrr Fiona (An Teallach)

Date walked: 01/07/2017

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Sgurr Fiona, Compleation, a special mountain, a special

Postby mamoset » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Well done, excellent report and fantastic mountain to compleat on :clap: :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:43 am

Congratulations and well done :clap: Enjoyed that - a great way in which to finish and good to see so many having a cracking time - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:29 am

Congratulations from us as well - and as many others have already said, a fantastic hill to finish and so many friends to celebrate with :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

We have 60-something Munros left to do and at the moment, we're saving our local Strathfarrar ridge for last... But if we run out of patience, we may end compleating on some boring lump down south...

BTW I love your pet spider! For my final hill I should get a fluffy black cat toy :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:31 pm

Many thanks Malky...could have been Sgurr Dubh Mir on Skye, that would have interesting :lol: but a promise is a promise :D

Mamoset, thank you for your kind words :D

Cheers Rockhopper, it was a wonderful day :D

Thank you BP, can't wait to see the fluffy car on the limo :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby BobMcBob » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:53 pm

What a wonderful story written with such feeling. It was your report on Sgurr Dubh Mor that stuck in my mind and inspired me to visit it (a couple of weeks ago), you have a knack of expressing it just like it is. Top stuff.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:37 pm

BobMcBob wrote:What a wonderful story written with such feeling. It was your report on Sgurr Dubh Mor that stuck in my mind and inspired me to visit it (a couple of weeks ago), you have a knack of expressing it just like it is. Top stuff.

Thank you for your kind words BobMcBob, very kind :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:47 pm

Congratulations - that looked brilliant, loved the happiness, the banter and most of all the wisdom :clap: :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby jonny616 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:52 pm

I thought i would stick with the theme and be a little late to comment. :lol: Its been great walking with you over the last couple of years and i look forward to many more 'off road" moments in the years to come. It was great to be involved in your shenanigans especially as i only had to walk from car to bar. :lol:

Well done Dave :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:50 pm

Many thanks Huff n Puff, the happiness, banter and indeed the wisdom comes from sharing these special moments with true friends :D

Nice one Jonny, although you didn't make the walk (special meeting of the MM committee to discuss that :wink: ), I was touched that you came up for the evening, thank you :D The core of the MMs, Hill Loving Gents, and ladies, before I get into trouble, provide laughter therapy even on the dullest and wettest of days, and I too look forward to many many more, thank you my friend :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby Alan S » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:32 pm

Well done Dave, Fantastic report and pics, Thoroughly deserved walk report of the month.
Once again huge congrats on your compleation :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:42 pm

many thanks for your kind words Alan S, greatly appreciated :D :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby Emmanuelle » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:08 pm

Wow, epic compleation! Many congratulations. Have you got your number yet?

Great gifts too :D
Emmanuelle
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:78
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:4   
Wainwrights:1   

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:40 pm

Many thanks Emmanuelle, no I hadn't got a number, to be honest it never bothered me, I know I've done it, that's what mattered :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby KeithS » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:52 am

Hi, really enjoyed this report, sorry I missed it first time round.

Many congratulations on your compleation, and what a mountain to finish on, definitely my favourite, especially as I wake up to it whenever I am in Laide.

Not just a good report but also nice to hear of your celebrations afterwards, and also your musings as to what life after compleation may be like.

I am really torn at the moment as to whether to compleat or not. I have three options:

1) Compleat.

2) Don't compleat. Just leave one, which would be Bidein a'Ghlas Thuill. This would avoid any post compleation depression or similar related matters. I could still repeat Sgurr Fiona again (and again) so enjoy the mountain.

3) Wait until my grandson, who is currently 3yrs old, is old enough to make an ascent and do it with him and hand the baton over to him. That would not be an end, it would be a beginning.

I might put it to the vote on the site in due course.

Anyway, well done and best wishes

Keith
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:47 am

KeithS wrote:Hi, really enjoyed this report, sorry I missed it first time round.

Many congratulations on your compleation, and what a mountain to finish on, definitely my favourite, especially as I wake up to it whenever I am in Laide.

Not just a good report but also nice to hear of your celebrations afterwards, and also your musings as to what life after compleation may be like.

I am really torn at the moment as to whether to compleat or not. I have three options:

1) Compleat.

2) Don't compleat. Just leave one, which would be Bidein a'Ghlas Thuill. This would avoid any post compleation depression or similar related matters. I could still repeat Sgurr Fiona again (and again) so enjoy the mountain.

3) Wait until my grandson, who is currently 3yrs old, is old enough to make an ascent and do it with him and hand the baton over to him. That would not be an end, it would be a beginning.

I might put it to the vote on the site in due course.

Anyway, well done and best wishes

Keith

Many thanks Keith :D

It is a difficult question. I'd never thought of compleating at all, but when I started I lived in London and only moved marginally closer to the Home Counties after. So moving up north changed all that and it then became within my grasp.
An Teallach was a choice made for Compleation several years before, after missing the summit via the traverse and not realising until it was too late :lol: But the choice became a promise and given the pure spectacle of such a mountain, a choice many others will no doubt choose, very worthy.

My own thoughts of what to do after, I had pondered well before the penultimate mountain and right through to Compleation. I only felt a sense of loss after I Compleated. I had no intention or ambition to 'do' another list, be that Corbetts or whatever, that never had any appeal, but having already done some 70 odd Munro's twice (and some 5 or 6 times) I've kind of falling into doing them again. That said, not with the same zest or fever. I go out when I can, if I don't make the top, its not an issue, I enjoy the day for what it is, a day in the wilderness :D

Having many friends also on that road means there will be many a Compleation still to come and I will enjoy being a part of that and seeing these good folk also reach that milestone too.

Besides the Munro's there are many more mountains to climb, I have a mental bucket list of others that I wish to do, and alternative routes up those already done, as I still enjoy planning an alternative as opposed to taking the well worn track up :D

Only you can decide of your 3 choices, as its clearly a personal thing, some go headlong into it and then stop, claiming they were never doing 'the Munro's' despite the celebrations reaching particular milestones :lol: :lol:

You could Compleat, and hopefully avoid the post trauma of 'what now', if you have a plan in mind. If like me, you love the mountains and being in the wilderness, and have all your life, it won't go away, you will find a way.

There is nothing wrong with not Compleating either, something I had thought of, but I was persuaded and I'm glad I did. Apart from some initial sadness in the weeks and months following, it soon became a 'get back on the horse' kind of thing and didn't need forcing as I joined friends on their journeys.

Or you could wait, although that could be some wait and without dwelling on age, you've hopefully got some years in reserve :lol: :lol: That said it would be wonderful to combine it with your grandson, as you say a new beginning.

Whatever you choose, I hope those views from Laide will keep that burning withing you, and wish you my very best in whatever path you take, kindest regards,
Dave :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

30 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland