walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gars-bheinn to Sgurr Dearg

Gars-bheinn to Sgurr Dearg

Postby litljortindan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:32 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Alasdair, Sgùrr Mhic Chòinnich, Sgùrr nan Eag

Date walked: 07/05/2000

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1300m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The evening of my thirty third birthday was spent under the stars on Gars-bheinn. The way there had been fairly easy until I got to the base of the scree after which a lot more care and balance was needed.
Timed my arrival at the top quite well, in time to catch the lowering sunlight and magnificent views over the Cuillin to the north and equally magnificent views south albeit the actual sunset was blocked by the ridge. The summit cairn either contains a shelter or has a shelter beside it inside which I curled up on the most comfortable rocks I could find.
Managed to sleep for spells until the cold woke me up and sometimes I just gazed in wonder at the sky above. A short night anyway so any discomfort similarly short lived.
If the sunset had slightly eluded me no such problem with the sunrise. Not special by any means but certainly a special situation and, eventually, great light again over the ridge.
I was using the Andrew Dempster guide to aid progress but the going was very straight forward until route finding for the scrambling route up Sgurr Alasdair's west ridge. This was where me and my companion had got stuck eight years before but we had tried to round the north side whereas Dempster's route veers right (south). We did manage to get to Sgurr Alasdair the next day though I think but from the other side. Anyway, the scrambly ascent turned out to be sheer entertainment rather than the route finding trauma I feared and I was soon at the summit. Not quite as pointy as one might suspect but a grand viewpoint nonetheless.
Ascending the shelf onto the way up Thearlaich also proved to be easier than its descent had been all that time ago. In truth, just a big step and a big stretch to negotiate in descent but a detail that has stuck in my memory.
The weather started to dullen and my appetite for further progress started to diminish with it. I consulted Dempster on the wisdom of An Stac but was put off by the steepness and length as was the case further up with the Inn Pinn. Also, one of a passing pair of ridge baggers kind of sneered at me for relying on what they termed "the Noddy book". Well I'd had a good day up to this point but with the dulling weather and tiredness I easily persuaded myself to head down west from Sgurr Dearg.

Imageimg051 by John Little, on Flickr

Imageimg058 by John Little, on Flickr

img003 by John Little, on Flickr
Dramatic view from just north of my bivvy spot though not quite the ideal sunset viewpoint.

Imageimg059 by John Little, on Flickr

Imageimg060 by John Little, on Flickr
Next morning.

Imageimg061 by John Little, on Flickr

Imageimg068 by John Little, on Flickr

Imageimg065 by John Little, on Flickr
Readyish after a cold night at the rocky Gars-bheinn cairn shelter in a survival bag spent largely looking at the starry night sky rather than sleeping.

Imageimg067 by John Little, on Flickr
Soay and its mainland.

Imageimg070 by John Little, on Flickr
From the first Munro, Sgurr nan Eag, back to Gars-bheinn, Sgurr a Choire Bhig in the middle.

Imageimg069 by John Little, on Flickr
Sgurr Dubh an Da Bheinn top and Gars-bheinn bottom.

Imageimg063 by John Little, on Flickr
From Gars-bheinn to Sgurr Alasdair.

Imageimg066 by John Little, on Flickr
The way down from Sgurrs Alasdair and Thearlaich.

Imageimg064 by John Little, on Flickr
The foot of An Stac I think.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland