walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tryfan - early morning

Tryfan - early morning

Postby malky_c » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:05 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Tryfan

Date walked: 13/04/2009

Time taken: 2

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 620m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hewitts: Tryfan
Date walked: 13/04/2009
Time taken: 2 hours
Distance: 3km
Ascent: 620m
Weather: Clear and sunny, with a fresh breeze.

Staying down at my parents house over Easter, and I fancied a quick visit to the hills. As my wife was with me, I didn't really feel that I could go off for the whole day and leave her at the mercy of my parents, so I decided to do a quick early morning walk. Tryfan fitted the bill nicely, as it is a classic mountain, has loads of fun scrambling on, and can be done very quickly.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I left the car at 7.40am, having parked on the A5 near Glan Dena. Headed over the fence and directly towards the N ridge. Lower down on the ridge, there are endless route possibilities, from steep walking to difficult scrambling, so you can pretty much match a route to your ability. You need to watch out that you don't traverse too far to the left though, or you end up losing the ridge and ascending the Heather Terrace, up under the E face.

Higher up, the ridge becomes less broad and all of the various paths meet. A couple of small flat terraces are passed, the lower of these having the cannon on it. This is a splinter of rock angled at 45 degrees to the ridge, and the location of many posed photos. In the early morning, it lacked the usual sun, and there was a cold breeze, so I didn't hang around for long.

Llyn Ogwen, Y Garn, Foel Goch and Carnedd y Ffilliast:

The cannon from a disappointing angle:

Above the higher terrace, the top part of the N ridge can be seen shooting into the sky. The easier route from here heads up and left slightly, and traverses arond the N and far N summits, giving great gully views, before finally ascending directly behind Adam and Eve. The path is fairly obvious. However, I fancied taking the ridge directly, as I hadn't done that for some time. This is where the most continuous and exposed scrambling is. The best route seems to be on the left of the ridge, but as it narrows down, you end up on the crest anyway. I did a strange bit of contouring high up, and ended up at the top of the far N gully.

Looking down the N ridge onto the upper terrace:

Llyn Bochlwyd, Llyn Idwal, Y Garn:

Top section of the N ridge:

Looking down from the N ridge crux:

N summit from the far N summit:

Quick visit to the far N summit (hardly a separate summit at all) and I carried on to the N summit. Easier again here, as there is less exposure. Soon I was moving onto the main summit, (just before 9am) where I had a quick stop to admire the view. The day was clearly going to be another hot and sunny one, but there was still a fair nip in the air at this point.

Main summit from the N summit:

N summit from the main summit:
[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-i3xKctguOFg/TkkIAcKnB-I/AAAAAAAACoI/QBY94a3mEi8/s800/101_0599.JPG

Adam and Eve:
[/img]

...and again. Fancy a jump?

Decided against leaping to attain the 'Freedom of Tryfan' (as usual - one day, maybe!), and carried on over the S summit and down the S ridge. This is mainly steep walking, but you need your hands out of your pockets here and there. The rock is very secure though. At the col between the S and far S summit, there is a drystone wall and a couple of ladder stiles. I was headed over here next, but firstly took in the far S summit. No-one else around apart from a couple of fell runners who were descending the S ridge behind me. They must've come up at a fair lick as I didn't see them on the N ridge anywhere.

Main summit from the S summit:

S summit from the far S summit:

Bristly Ridge and Glyder Fach:

Over the wall, a short easy scree run is followed before the heather terrace is picked up. This path contours down the side of Cwm Tryfan just beneath the main cliffs of the E face. From here, you can look up all of the main gullies and see where all of the classic E face rock climbs begin. It feels a bit like walking round the base of the Buachaille. Passed a couple of guys low down, before descending back to the car. I was home shortly after 11am.

Far south summit and Bristly Ridge (leading to Glyder Fach):

Back up the east face to Adam and Eve from the heather terrace:

Typical Welsh mountain goats:

More views up the east face:

Last look up the east face:

Given more time, the obvious continuation of the route is down to Bwlch Tryfan, then up Bristly Ridge. This is fairly similar in style to the N ridge of Tryfan, and just as much fun. From here you can cross over Glyder Fach and descend Y Gribin, or carry on over Glyder Fawr, Y Garn etc etc. So many brilliant route opportunities in such a small area.
Last edited by malky_c on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Tryfan - early morning

Postby malky_c » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:49 pm

Just added photos and made this visible, what with the current Tryfan thread and all!
malky_c

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:00 pm

Some absolutely stunning and details pics there - I especially like the N summit from the main summit pic... But you make it look very hard and scary - I'm really surprised now that I did it with very few problems (apart from that bit you can't avoid! - I was soon into the gully round on the east when I did it! I saw a lot of people having difficulties when they went all the way up that bit - they seemed to have to descend quite a way down again on the other side!

How easy is it to find and follow the Heather Terrace from the south? I couldn't find it from the north but it was a very misty day. Is it exposed at all?

Superb post anyway - hope Walkaboot sees it as she was interested - you should PM her
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:11 pm

Love this area, done it twice taking in the hard ridges, threads on site, have sat on adam and eve, the lads jump it but not for me :( Great post
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:14 pm

There's no way I'd jump it - not cowardice particularly - I just think it's a daft idea!
mountain coward

Postby magicdin » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:30 pm

Great report and great photies of a hill I really enjoyed
a long time since I was on Tryfan
must go back :)
magicdin
Rambler

Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby skuk007 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:02 pm

Great pictures malky_c, one I must do some sunny day. I'm keep to do the daft 'leaping' thing although I might change my mind when I get there.

Shame there were not other walkers in your pictures. I find it difficult knowing how bad a scramble looks when there is nothing to give it a bit of scale. Can you go back up with a mannequin and pose it for me. :lol:
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Derek T » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:09 pm

"Looking down from the N ridge crux" makes my legs shake just looking at the picture :wtf:

Must remember to not look down when I finally get the chance to do this one.
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:30 am

Funny you should say that... that pic does make it look awful, I thought so when I looked at it... But I seem to remember looking down periodically to see what a steep hill I was going up and still don't remember being bothered... but I was out with a couple of my lunatic friends and they tend to infect me with their lunacy so perhaps I was just having a good day? :lol:
mountain coward

Postby markscotsman » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Climbed this at the start of a long trek earlier this year and what an enjoyable climb it was too. The beauty of Tryfan is that following the path you took there are so many different routes to suit everyones climbing ability. Thoroughly enjoyable hill and one which I would definately like to do again :)
markscotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:243   Corbetts:142
Fionas:152   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:7   

Postby icemandan » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:18 pm

I did the jump when I was in my 20s but haven't been able to do it since.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby walk aboot » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:36 am

Thanks malky_c, very informative and terrific photos - Tryfan does look like a brilliant hill 8)

Goats too, great :)
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby mountain coward » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:11 pm

It's not a patch on Snowdon in my book! There's only a couple of routes up it! Now I'll sit back and wait for the Tryfan v Snowdon war to start! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby colgregg » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:17 pm

After seeing these pics I am more determined than ever to go back there and do Tryfan and the Glyders as a round. Looked at it on my last visit but I was in agony with my back so didn't chance it. Can't comment on better / worse than Snowdon though, M.C. The Snowdon Horseshoe is brilliant apart from the summit of Snowdon itself, when the trains are running.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby malky_c » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:28 am

Cheers for all the comments.

Don't really have a winner in the Tryfan vs. Snowdon debate. As far as I'm concerned, Tryfan is just one peak in the Glyders range, rather like Crib Goch is just a single peak in the Snowdon range. So I'd compare Snowdon with all of the Glyders. I'd say they are both equally good, and have a very similar variety of routes.
malky_c

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland