walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Arran Way

Arran Way

Postby Glenshee » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:14 pm

Hi, I have this walk on my to do list. How many days is reasonable. Comments would be appreciated.
I have done all the GB National trails and usually do around 24k a day. I have backpacked/wild camped the above trails. I could do that but it means a long train journey for me. It would be more flexible for me to use my Citroen Berlingo micro camper and get back to it each night using the Islands buses. I have looked at a blogger who did it in 3.5 days. Others take 5 -7 days
Glenshee
Scrambler

Re: Arran Way

Postby willsdad » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Hi Glenshee

I did it in 3.5 days but that was pushing a bit far for me tbh.
I'd go for the camper option. There seemed to be regular buses circling the island so I don't think you would have any trouble there. I've no idea of bus schedules though.
As for how long.... I'd take as long as you have and enjoy. The coastal town's n villages are stunning and well worth stopping to enjoy. You could probably aim for the nearest bus stop that hits your 24k.
If you want to know any more just ask...
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Postby desmondo1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:42 pm

The buses are few and far between (big gripe of mine) so study the Stagecoach timetable closely to match your needs if using them. If driving check the Calmac site as many sailings fully booked well in advance.
Take as long as you can as Arran is a beautiful island with some great hills to get you away from the route, much of which can be road walking.
Enjoy.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Postby Glenshee » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:05 pm

That is helpful information.
The vehicle option means clearly I can use it on the island, though there is some driving/bus time when I could be walking and the wild camps would be better. The main positive is that I can split the 7hour drive up there and back and sleep in the camper somewhere half-way along and possibly do half a days walk on my first and last days; that is how I did the Skye Trail.
Glenshee
Scrambler

Postby Grievesy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:18 pm

Hi Glenshee, have you done this yet? recently decided to do this myself when I've got a week off work on 21st Aug. Any tips would be appreciated!

So far all I've really got is get off the ferry and turn right :)
Grievesy
Scrambler

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Postby skiker » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:19 pm

We did the ACW this past May. A bit too much road walking but still a great trip. Turning right from the ferry works great except at high tide when the trail is under water. We walked the road until we could cut across the golf course to the trail which is generally well-marked and common-sense obvious when it’s not. We wild camped three nights, B&B one rainy day and spent one night at an unpleasant, midgey commercial campground. So five nights, six days.

As you reach the southern end of Aran the way markers send you up to the road too early IMO. It was the worst stretch of road walking we had in our six weeks in Scotland. Not the longest but scariest. I would continue along at the ocean level until you arrive at a second opportunity to make the necessary climb to the road.

You do have to pay attention to the tides on the south end of Aran but it’s all easily managed so long as you’re not in a hurry. Lots of rock hopping around the two points. We lost the trail at Largybeg Head but improvised an easy route down from the standing stones.

Our guide book said a high tide could prevent you from making it to from Whiting Bay to Lamlash but there are new boardwalks along that section so I’m not sure that’s still true. We moved through there very quickly because the almost high tide was coming in but we didn’t have any problems. A particularly high tide might make for more difficulties.

The side trip to the Machrie standing stones is well worth it. We were also quite taken with Lochranza and enjoyed the distillery tour there as well. :D
skiker
Scrambler

Postby AJNicholls » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:23 pm

I did this walk a couple of years ago over 4 days, with an extra day added on top to climb the Corbett hill Goatfell.

The breakdown was:
Leg 1 - Brodick to Lochranza
Leg 2 - Lochranza to Blackwaterfoot
Leg 3 - Blackwaterfoot to Kildonan
Leg 4 - Kildonan to Brodick

As said previously, pay attention to tidal times and prepare for a fair bit of rock-hopping. In fact, there's quite a bit of ascent on this trip considering it's a coastal walk.

Enjoy.
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion