walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

2 From the welcoming Dalmunzie Castle Hotel

2 From the welcoming Dalmunzie Castle Hotel

Postby Coop » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:17 pm

Route description: Glas Tulaichean & Càrn an Rìgh, Glenshee

Munros included on this walk: Càrn an Rìgh, Glas Tulaichean

Date walked: 31/07/2017

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 1085m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Arrived back from Sheffield at midnight so it would be a later start for me. Up at 6 left at 7 and headed for Glenshee. Stopped in and got a coffee to take away from the ski centre. Didnt see a ski lift or tow for the remainder of the day after this. Superb .
Then it was back down to Spittal of glenshee and Dalmunzie Castle Hotel.
Paid my 2.50 to the lass on reception and asked if it would be ok to pop back in when I finished. No problem says she.
So off at 10 I went and headed up through the farm and onto the track for Glas Tulaichean.
The streams were all flowing quite quickly today so I got up onto the old railway track and followed this along past the old ruined house where I crossed over and joined the good track all the way round and up to almost the summit.
Rained a bit on the way up but the views across to Beinn a gloh were still good.
1st time I've had to take my boots off on a walk. Feet were sore. Both times I adjusted my socks and the feeling of just having the boots off for a minute did them the power of good.
A wee cairn leads you off up on a path past another cairn and onto the summit trig.
You can see across to the path leading up to Carn an Righ from here.
Up to yourself really how far you want to go towards the lochan before you cut across and join it- bearing in mind all the bogs peat hags and stream
The path all the way along to where it starts to ascend was wet and boggy.
Cheeky wee ascent up to the cairn/ shelter as it doesn't look that far from Glas Tulaichean. Good views north from here into the cairngorms. Sat here for 15 minutes and enjoyed it.
I'd mapped and plotted out the route up to Beinn Lutharn mhor, but from here it looked a fair bit so I headed back down. I think maybe if I'd had an earlier start I'd have went for it but 2 days away meant I had to get back and do some personal administration before work in the morning.
So it was back down and along the boggy path all the way to the Lochan. Passed one pitched tent by the stream and another 3 at the lochan. One of them was huge. At least 8 /10 would have been comfortable in it I wouldn't like to have carried that thing all the way up here!!
Wee path all the way down through the glen. Fantastic view of the route all the way. Had 3 fords of the stream on the way down- wet once!!
One thing I will say about this walk out. Look up and around as you're walking and also look back up Glen Taitneach The views are great.
Now you've got to decide where you want to get across the stream as the bridge is lying sideways in the middle of it. I spent about 10 minutes going back and forth till I decided to go for it. I needed my boots and gaiters cleaned anyway :wink:
Up to the hotel and in for a coffee to take out. Very hospitable again. Cheers to the staff.
And then the long drive back. Good walk which I enjoyed today.

Cap doffed to Glas Tulaichean and Carn an Righ.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland