walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creach Bheinn, Loch Creran.

Creach Bheinn, Loch Creran.

Postby JimboJim » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:07 pm

Route description: Creach Bheinn, from Druimavuic

Corbetts included on this walk: Creach Bheinn (Loch Creran)

Date walked: 25/07/2017

Time taken: 4.4 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 900m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Weather and my good wife, offered another opportunity to get away for the day, so thought I would add to my tally of Argyll Corbett's. I might manage all of them, but no way will I be doing the full round! Having missed out on good photo's on my visit to Beinn Sgulaird, its smaller neighbour, Creach Bheinn, seemed like a fair compromise.
Creach Beinn 003_1024_645.JPG
Looking out to the Lynn of Lorn, on the way up.
Creach Beinn 105_1024_677.JPG
The bealach, Coire Buidhe.

Same lay by for parking, as when doing Sgulaird, though initial track has been upgraded, along with other hydro dam works. Another walker was just heading for the hills, as I drew up, but I assumed he was probably heading for the munro. Eventually I got my gear on and set off up the road, intent on following the WH's route, but saw no sign of the other fellow. Not long after passing the very wee cairn, marking the track off to Beinn Sgulaird, the road levels out a bit, before making a steady, sometimes even steep, rise up Coire Buidhe, where I saw the other walker, apparently heading for the same hill.
Creach Beinn 008_1024_676.JPG
Still plenty clag on Meall Garbh, at this point.

There was still some mist lower down, but the sun was strong, making me sweat, as though I was melting :shock: Eventually caught up with the other guy, Steve, when he stopped high up the corrie, for fluids and ponder a way up, onto the 'ridge.' He did wonder about making for the bealach between Creag na Cathaig and Meall Garbh and which I thought would also have been a viable way down, when viewed on my return. He chose to ascend a steep looking gully, directly south, whereas I went about another 20 yards on the road, then followed the faint, grassy, track off to the right, which makes a longer, but more gradual, curving rise onto Creag na Cathaig. This time, I think I got the better option, arriving further along the ridge, than Steve, though perhaps he spent a long time, smoking his wee cigar, as I left him, below :D
Creach Beinn 054_1024_754.JPG
The trig point away in the distance.
Creach Beinn 019_1024_767.JPG
Ship in at Glensanda.
Creach Beinn 027_1024_727.JPG
Looking over Creagan Bridge, to Appin and Castle Stalker, just about visible.
Creach Beinn 030_1024_768.JPG
Keeping up with my ship spotting :) CSL Argosy, loading at Glensanda Quarry.

Anyway, we tagged up again and kept company till the summit. He is doing the round of Corbett's. Good luck, I say :) The forecast was for the clag to clear, but Meall Garbh remained well shrouded, as we made our way onto the steeper part of the climb, however by the time we made it onto the flatter part of the ridge, it was clearing fast and made for an enjoyable wander to the distant trig point.
Creach Beinn 047_1024_741.JPG
Over Loch Abhainn Teithil, Lismore and Lynn of Lorn.
Creach Beinn 012_1024_697.JPG
Summit trig point, 810m.
It took me about 2 and a quarter hours of sweaty toil, to the top, which affords provides a fine viewpoint in all directions, even enabling me to indulge in another favourite past time, of ship spotting, as I could see a cargo ship, loading at Glensanda.
Creach Beinn 033_1024_210.JPG
Summit panorama of Etive and Glencoe hills.
Creach Beinn 035_1024_223.JPG
And from Mull, round to the north.
Creach Beinn 052_1024_693.JPG
Yours truly.
Creach Beinn 063_1024_762.JPG
Starav, just keeping hold of some cloud.
Creach Beinn 064_1024_747.JPG
Beinn Trilleachan, with Ben Starav, behind.
Creach Beinn 065_1024_734.JPG
Beinn Starav, clear and Beinn nan Aighenan.

Spent a fair bit of time at the summit, enjoying food, drink and photo's, before parting company with Steve. He likes to keep things exciting, whereas not having checked out any other options, I was happy enough to stick to plan A, on this occasion. (He chose to descend via Meall nan Caorach and said he didn't find it too difficult, when I caught up with him back at the cars.) Made my way back along the ridge, enjoying the views and taking plenty photo's, though was disappointed Cruachan never really showed face, having been a wander up Coire Chreachainn, with the dog, the previous day.
IMG_2784_576_768.JPG
A DIY, of ridge toward, Sgulaird.
Creach Beinn 055_1024_683.JPG
Beinn Sgulaird, zoomed.
Creach Beinn 056_1024_684.JPG
Beinn a'Bheithir.
Creach Beinn 061_1024_674.JPG
Back along the ridge, to the north.
Creach Beinn 062_1024_713.JPG
Closer look at crags of, Creag na Cathaig.
Creach Beinn 073_1024_689.JPG
The two Buachaille's, centre and Sgreamhach to the left, Stob Dubh, Glen Etive, to the right.

Once back on the road, I made swift progress down the hill, throwing in a wee jog now and then, not wanting the Glasgow man to leave me way behind :lol: Actually, I was in a bit of a rush to get home for a family doo, that evening!
Creach Beinn 095_1024_657.JPG
The long and winding road, up, or down.
Creach Beinn 102_1024_699.JPG
Zoomed view over Loch Creran, to the Creagan Bridge.
Finally, I did spot Steve, well ahead of me, almost at the bottom and had I not been sprinting, he would have come down much earlier than me, but I did get back to the car, just in time to say cheerio, as he made for home, taking 4 and a half hours for the trip, which I found a very enjoyable hill to do :)
Creach Beinn 087_1024_715.JPG
Creach Beinn 103_1024_726.JPG
Loch Creran.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Creach Bheinn, Loch Creran.

Postby JimboJim » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:53 pm

RTC wrote:Great photos, Jimmy. I went up and down C.B. by your route on a lovely day at the end of May. As I had a long drive from Stirling I stopped at Benderloch on the way home to go up Ben Lora. The path was shut which put me in a bad mood. A couple of weeks ago an 8 year old girl died after being crushed to death by logs on the path up Ben Lora. Made me ashamed about being crabbit about not getting up the hill. The hills will always be there.

Thanks, Russell. Yes, that was such a tragic accident, at Benderloch. Hadn't realised it was on Ben Lora. Aye, I've had a few path closed due to foresting, but this sort of thing makes one stop to think.

Jimmy
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:48 am

Hi :D We did CB yesterday via the same route. I was pleasantly surprised - this hill has some character! We had to walk through a couple of heavy showers, but it cleared nicely for the summit. Very few people climb this Corbett by itself, but it's definitely worth the effort.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Sgurr » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:10 am

Did this so long ago that we had forgotten this route by the time we were looking to climb Beinn Mheadonach, the other side of the bealach until NormanW pointed out that he had seen a track from its summit. Interesting to see the trig is a Vanessa, which the OS usually reserved for the more remote hills. I bet you agreed with them.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland