walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochearnhead duo

Lochearnhead duo

Postby Coop » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:11 pm

Route description: Creag Mac Ranaich and Meall an t-Seallaidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag Mac Ranaich, Meall an t-Seallaidh

Date walked: 06/08/2017

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 20.5 km

Ascent: 984m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Good wee walk today from Lochearnhead.
Car park then along the main road to the church and up. Remember to turn right and go under the bridge.
Good cycle path all the way up to where you go left and through a gate. Good views back to Loch earn on the way up. All the way along and once under the concrete bridge turn right for the path all the way up to the beallach between the two. If you're adventurous cut up early and go through the crags / up one of the gulleys.
Me I went along to the high point in the path almost and headed up and left of a huge boulder.
Care was needed on some of the boulders on the way up as it was wet today.
Up to the 1st cairn in the mist - knew there was another one (mist was all around and couldnt see more than 10ft) and a wee path led off down and up to the summit cairn proper. Foggy picture took-whoever left their broken walking pole in the cairn - it's still there!!!
And back along where this time I descended into the gully taking it easy and then headed for the large boulder again. I was looking across for any paths/ easiest way up to the ridge line on the other side - but their wasn't any.
Best way is to head to the old fence line which misses most of the peat hags. It also has a faint path heading up for a bit. Then it's up to the ridge line hang a left and up to the trig point and cairn beside it.
Someone had left a wee painted stone here which they'd obviously left intentionally- nice touch.
Mist was all around again up here so take it easy and avoid the crags which you're soon on top of.
Wet descent and the track looks a long way off but it's not really.
Good to hit the track again and on I went enjoying the walk out- past the dead sheep/ big lamb on the track again.
Only this time 6 hrs later quite a bit of its fleece had been pulled off its back - probably that eagle/ hawk / buzzard that was flying around overhead. Told some local about it on the way down and he said he'd get onto the relevant person whose sheep they were up in the Glen.

Cap doffed to this hidden pair.
Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland