walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The magnificent North of Scotland - sun, fun and pies!

The magnificent North of Scotland - sun, fun and pies!

Postby Jaxter » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:01 pm

Route description: Ben Loyal

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Spionnaidh, Ben Loyal, Canisp, Cranstackie, Meallan Liath Coire Mhic Dhughaill

Date walked: 29/07/2017

Time taken: 24.5 hours

Distance: 67.01 km

Ascent: 3979m

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When Anne announced that the WH Summer Meet was going to be in Tongue, like most people, the first thing I did was Google it. Where on earth was Tongue?! :lol: Location of Tongue confirmed, the next emotion was excitement – Ben Loyal! I had seen this mountain from both Ben Hope and Ben Klibreck and had been excited to climb it ever since.

But Tongue was an awfully long drive :shock: Originally I’d had a plan to take a few days to get there but weather and health had conspired against me, so I drove up on Friday. Roadworks on the A9 and an accident where a canal barge had come off a trailer and blocked both carriageways held me up further, and then there was the small matter of 40 miles of single track roads from Lairg to Tongue.

Ben Klibreck

But at last I was there! There were some old faces as well as some new and a lovely evening was had :D

The Magnificent 7 take on Ben Loyal
Ben Loyal
Saturday 29th July 2017
15.68km
909m ascent
6 hours 35 minutes

Ben Loyal.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The following morning 7 of us set off from the hostel; Sue, David, Heather, Lynne, Ross, James and myself. We drove the few miles down the road, passed the parking spot, watched as Ross drove into a ditch, rescued Ross and parked up.

The team readying itself

It was an easy walk down the track initially; we passed Ribigil Farm and went through a couple of gates. Eventually the track became boggier and then it just became a bog. But the banter was flowing freely and Ben Loyal was rising impressively ahead of us.

The footbridge marked on the map did not exist (and didn’t appear to have for some time) but the crossing wasn’t difficult and despite there being several cameras around nobody fell in :lol:

Once across the worst of the swamp it was a decent path up a steep section. The sun was shining and there was no rush.

The team taking a break

Looking back to Tongue

The path seemed to peter out and after various consultations with maps and GPS and a lot of finger pointing and shoulder shrugging we eventually picked a line up in between crags. It was pathless and steep and we took our time.

Another breather or “photo break”

Soon a lochan came into view with the striking Beinn Stumanadh behind

And then we were finally on the ridge! The summit is on the left, but first we wanted to take a diversion to Sgor Chaonasaid, a top.

As we approached this top, the rain arrived, along with this rainbow

The others approaching Sgor Chaonasaid

There was a wee scramble up to the top (and some of us climbed up an awkward slab just for funsies :lol: ) but the views were awesome 8) Waterproofs were quickly donned.

Ben Loyal

Heading for the summit

We could see Martin, George and Parminder on the summit ahead of us and as we made our way over we met the terrible threesome. George’s trousers were fortunately intact today (if you weren’t there you don’t want to know :shock: :lol: )

We all decided to be a bit silly :lol:

The path led us to the summit of Ben Loyal; An Caisteal. It was a stunning viewpoint! The rain had only lasted a couple of minutes and waterproofs were removed.

Ross and Sue approaching

Group shot
We met The Rodmeister on the summit :lol:

And the traditional Jaxter pose

It was very windy and unfortunately my hat blew off over a cliff. It was gone forever :( I made up for littering by picking up a hula hoops packet :crazy:

David trying to look pensive

Onwards along the ridge

Back towards Tongue

As we left the summit Ben Hope cleared

Beinn Stumanadh

Morven and friends

A decision was made not to continue along the ridge – the weather was set to come in and it was supposed to be a bog-fest. I would return another time and do the full traverse.

We headed down, cutting off the corner and heading directly downwards. Apparently this is a cloudberry

The promised weather seemed to be going the opposite way…sunny Tongue

It was a steep descent but wasn’t as bad as we had imagined. However there were some slips and it was pretty entertaining viewing :lol:

Ben Hope in glorious sunshine

The river crossing was safely negotiated – the team here looking relieved

Waiting for the others to catch up; moody weather threatening

Back at the hostel without incident it had turned into a lovely afternoon. Some people headed for showers others for booze. I had a wander down to the beach where there were some lovely views of Ben Loyal and out to sea.

I had an accidental dip in the sea which wasn’t as cold as it looked; the photos of which will remain hidden :lol:

John treated us to a fabulous quiz and “The Big Holes” were victorious :lol: (Thanks David for the photo!)

The Worst Timing Ever
Crankstackie & Beinn Spionnaidh
Sunday 30th July
14km
1081m ascent
5 hours 15 minutes

Cranstackie and Spionnaidh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The following morning was a slow one; I was in no rush to leave as I wasn’t heading home so had a leisurely breakfast and saw people off. The entertainment of the morning consisted of John’s missing wallet that turned up in “a very safe place” much to everyone’s relief :lol:

Eventually I said my goodbyes and headed off. It was a beautiful morning and I stopped for photos along the way.

Ben Hope

Loch Eriboll and Foinaven & friends

Cranstackie and Beinn Spionnaidh

Beaches – could easily be the Caribbean 8)

Beinn Spionnaidh and Cranstackie

The weather was still looking good so I stuck my boots on and headed off along the track. Lovely afternoon for a few hills 8)

As I walked down the track towards Rhigolter Farm I could see excellent views of Foinaven

There was a new track that took me further up than marked but eventually I was on grassy and indistinct paths alongside the Allt Chalbhach Coire. The weather was coming in and it was beginning to look like I was in for a shower….

Looking back….ominous :shock:

Rhigolter Farm

As I climbed into Chalbhach Coire I had to stop to add waterproofs. And hide my friend’s very expensive DSLR camera in several layers of drybags :shock:

I made my way along the base of the coire – very boggy in places and very little path. By the time I was climbing up to the bealach at the head of the coire it was raining very heavily and I was beginning to regret my “quick afternoon hills” idea :crazy: It was steep, grassy and boggy but eventually I reached the bealach. The views were non-existant.

The map was already partially disintegrated after last summers Cape Wrath adventure so a quick check in the pouring rain made little difference :lol:

I followed the grassy ridge upwards then steep boulders up to the summit plateau where I found a large cairn. Huzzah :D

Cranstackie summit!

I had spectacular views of the inside of a cloud… :roll: and retreated quickly as it was unlikely to change. As I dropped down to the bealach I gained a bit of visibility and could see the ridge rising up Beinn Spionnaidh

A brief moment of clarity before the powershower was turned back on

The climb up onto Beinn Spionnaidh was easy enough until I reached the boulders which were slippery in the wet. Despite trying to take care I managed to slip near the summit and went over painfully on my ankle :shock: I’m sure most of us have had those “oh S***” moments and this was definitely one of mine. After a few minutes of language that would have made my mother hand me a bar of soap, the pain subsided and I was able to walk. Phew….

I made it the few metres to the summit and celebrated my damaged ankle by balancing on a trig point…

Lovely views again

Despite the conditions I paused for a sandwich and to let my ankle recover…. :roll:

For a moment it did look like clearing. But it didn’t.

I started getting cold so it was time to scoot. I found my way onto the descent ridge and did some very careful boulder-hopping.

It was decent walking on the ridge and once I dropped a little lower I could see glimpses of views

It was a very steep descent off the ridge down to Rhigolter Farm and I found myself being very careful on my newly gammy ankle and old gammy knee. What an old crock :lol:

Safely on the track it was an easy march back to the car. Things did seem to be clearing….

In fact, after one more very heavy shower it did clear completely and turned into a gorgeous evening. Typical :roll: :lol:

Colonel Mustard, the pot of gold

Foinaven

What wouldn’t I have given for a wide angle lens here…

Of course they’re clear now :lol:

I drove back up the road a few miles, checked the Cape Wrath Ferry times…

…before finding a wonderful camp spot to watch the sun go down.

Cape Wrath – the easy way!
Monday 31st July 2017

Last year’s ill-fated Cape Wrath attempt meant that I never actually made it to the Cape. It was time for another attempt. I had breakfast at Cocoa Mountain and treated myself to the best hot chocolate in the world, recharged camera batteries and checked in with Facebook :lol:

I headed down to the Ferry in plenty of time to avoid the issues of last time. There was a bit of cloud around but it was a bonny day.

The minibus ride to Cape Wrath was long and bumpy but very interesting. It had felt like a long walk last time and I hadn’t even gone all the way :lol:

Arriving at the lighthouse we were allowed some time to explore…

Kearvaig Bay just visible

Cliffs

I decided to have a wee wander uphill as I wanted a view of the lighthouse with the sea

Down the cliffs to Kearvaig

I saw a cairn and then a trig point and got a bit carried away :lol:

Checking the map later I discovered this was Dunan Mor, the most Northerly trig point

A stone circle

Sandwood Bay

There was time for a quick piece of cake before the ride back. This is the Cathedral stack

The Kearvaig bridge Image

As we got the ferry over the rain arrived and everything became very atmospheric

I decided that my ankle would be fine by the next day so drove down to Laxford Bridge, took a left and found a camp spot by Loch More. The midges were in fine form but the spot was lovely.

Ben Stack

Loch Stack

Arkle reflections

Bonny camp spot views

It was time for some scran and making use of my loaned camera

The sun gone, it was time for sleep as the weather suggested an early start the next morning.

That one with the long name
Meallan Liath Coire Mhich Dhughaill
Tuesday 1st August 2017
16.86km
959m ascent
5 hours 40 mins

Dhughaill.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I was awake bright and early and decided to get going. I left the tent up, wanting to get the best of the good weather on the hill and not sure of my plans for later. I drove a mile down the road to the parking area, booted up and set off. It was a gorgeous morning!

Down Loch More to Ben Stack

Just before reaching Aultanrynie Farm the track took off uphill, zig-zagging its way uphill. It was already warm and the track was hot work.

Looking back towards Kinloch

Ben Stack again

Dhugaill ahead

Ben Stack from a bit further up

The track crossed a conveniently placed stream which was welcome to replenish water supplies. The track continued uphill and swung around the imposing 513 spot before reaching a cairn. From here traces of the track continued for a while and there were a few bootprints, evidence of people here before :lol:

Ben Hee had now become visible – this was a possible hill for the next day

Loch Merkland

The Meallan Liath Beag ridge, with a friend

In the glorious morning conditions there were no routefinding issues and I was able to meander my way across rocky lumps and bumps and around (and sometimes through :roll: ) the more boggy sections 8)

Is this a cairn or just a pile of rocks?

The impressive Quinag had become visible

Looking back to Loch Merkland and an erratic on the far right

Quinag again

Loch Ulbhach Coire and Carn an Tionail

Reaching the final steep climb up onto the ridge, it was a lesson in Geography! Weathering in action 8)

Quinag

I found this climb quite tough – I was definitely starting to feel my legs and my goodness it was warm :shock: But coming out onto the top, the views opened out and the views out to Foinaven and Arkle were stunning

Foinaven

Quinag – I couldn’t stop looking at these hills!

The ridge continued to the summit. I was tempted to go out to Carn Dearg as the ridge looked great. But I was conscious of the weather coming in at lunchtime and I could feel my ankle again. So the summit it was.

Ben Hope

The awesome Ben Loyal

Hope and Loyal

Back to Loch Merkland

Nearly at the top, Foinavon and Arkle looked fabulous

Foinaven

The summit reached, the views of Loch Stack and Ben Stack were awesome

Quinag

Even Suilven was peeking out to join the party :D 8)

Foinaven

I sat myself down in the shelter as it was pretty windy and tried to get some mobile signal. I needed a weather forecast 8)

I sat around for a while enjoying the views and checked in with base camp (my Mum :lol: ) The weather didn’t seem to have changed, which meant that I needed to get off the hill quickly to avoid getting wet :shock: However with gammy ankle, nothing was happening fast, other than possibly face-planting into a bog :lol:

I headed down the ridge of Meallan Liath Coire Mhic Dhughaill, across boulders and grass before it became steep and sloshy.

This is Ben Leoid

There were some cool slabs in the river

Looking back to Dhughaill

Across the boggy Poll an Reinidh, I hopped safely over the burn and made way through more bogs before picking up the outward zig-zags.

New friend

I could see the weather coming down the loch – it was a race against it to get back to the car and get the tent down in the dry…

I made it to the car in the dry, however the heavens opened as I arrived at the tent. Doh :lol: I was feeling a bit gross anyway so just jumped in the loch for a wee wash :lol: Bit chilly but very refreshing :thumbup:

Tent down at last I headed back down the road. It was time for a wee outing in Assynt :D 8)

Suilven was looking spectacular

When in Assynt….a visit to Lochinver was in order

The stoneware pottery shop is always worth a look

Then I went to the pie shop and ate pie :D :D Before heading for the beach

And a camp spot

I was able to sit and relax; had a good book and a pretty decent view for the evening 8)

Luckily there was a breeze to keep the midges at bay, but it started getting chilly

As the sun disappeared I crawled into my sleeping bag to watch it from there

I was so comfortable than I must have nodded off :lol: I woke up about 11.30 to find silence and a beautiful night. Fortunately all that had got into the tent were a few beetles and a slug :lol:

The Canisp Circular – a Jaxter special!
Canisp
Wednesday 2nd August 2017
20.47km
1030m ascent
7 hours 20 mins

Canisp.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I had a wonderful sleep that night (after banishing the slug :lol: ) and was in no hurry to get going as the forecast was for cloud until 11.

The locals were watching

I headed down the road towards my start point for the day and got my things together. The forecast was so good I decided to take extra lenses with me. More weight but hopefully worth it :thumbup:

I headed down the path towards the bridge and could see out to Loch Awe

Loch na Gruagaich with Cnoc an Leathaid Bhuidhe behind

Canisp ahead

It was very boggy, definitely a day for waterproof socks :thumbup: I passed a family who were looking enviously at my gaiters having left theirs in the car :lol:

The path kind of petered out and I made my way up, keeping as far left as I could for the views. Cul Mor was looking impressive

And then wee Polly started to peek out

Cam Loch and South towards Ullapool

With some serious height gained and finding a spot with enough breeze to keep bugs at bay I had a play with the camera

Suilven appeared, rising above Loch na Gainimh

Looking back to the Ben More Assynt, Conival and Breabag ridge

The climb itself wasn’t hugely interesting – it was steep in places, boggy lower down before becoming rockier towards the top. But what an absolutely amazing viewpoint 8)

I couldn’t take my eyes off Suilven – what a hill!

The approach from Lochinver

And zoomed to Suileag bothy where I stayed last summer

Stac Pollaidh

Suilven summit

Sunny Suilven

It was most definitely lunchtime so I enjoyed some excellent views with my sandwiches. The family I’d overtaken earlier arrived – their wee boy had done well :clap:

An Teallach

I dislike an out-and-back route and I’d made a plan. Unable to do a traverse through to Lochinver without another car, I had considered the possibility of coming back over Suilven but figured that may be too much for gammy ankle that was already making itself known. So I settled for the Canisp circular – I could drop down the other side before looping back along the lochans.

An Teallach on the right

It was a really nice descent – much easier than retracing my steps would have been. It was amazing to see how the rock changed on the summit. Grey shattered boulders on the way up, red Inverpolly rock on the Lochinver side.

I met a couple of people coming up here – it was nice to hear about their adventures; they had camped on Suilven the night before. I lost the path in amoungst the bogs soon after and made my way steadily downwards.

Back to Canisp

I did manage to pick up the path again and it made for an easy descent down to Loch an Gainimh

There was even a crash barrier in case I picked up speed… :lol:

Here I picked up the track along the loch and headed on the long trek back. Suilven continued to dominate

The path was very boggy in places and was easy to lose. I found myself scrambling along the side of the gorge that was Gleann Dorcha

I then realised that there was actually a path above which made for much easier walking :lol: Coming out at Lochan Fada the path became even sketchier

Eventually I realised that there was no path at all and started making my way up and over as I was needing to curve back around towards the car. It was very hot and I was tired but the scenery was just wonderful.

The Canisp ridge

Looking behind – Suilven and Lochan Fada

I think this is the Fisherfield hills

Canisp

Cul Mor

Suilven

Ben More Assynt ridge

Suilven and Canisp

Lochans

Looking back up Canisp

I soon found myself bog-hopping again and I dragged myself the last few metres towards the car. Back towards Canisp

My feet were a bit too sodden to appreciate the irony of this sign at the time :lol:

Loch Awe

It had been a long day and it was 6pm when I made it back to the car! With the wind picking up and the weather set to break any minute I had decided to head home. As I drove down the road I had to stop when I saw this in the rear view mirror….

It was a very long way home and I was tempted to stop for the duck race…. :lol:

South of Inverness the weather became horrible and it was a very tired Jaxter that arrived home after midnight and collapsed into bed after another wonderful Northern Adventure 8) :D
Last edited by Jaxter on Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: The magnificent North of Scotland - sun, fun and pies!

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:20 pm

Awesome trip, photos extra special with the borrowed DSLR. Some of the finest hills anywhere on that lost....and the finest pies! Enjoyed your tale, as usual. Off to read other Meet stories now, will make one eventually I hope.

I must take issue with one thing. Glasgow (?) to Tongue is not a long journey :D . Roros, Norway, to Surrey, via Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Holland (currently), East Anglia, Cheshire, Yorkshire then home, is a long journey. In the back of a minivan with canoes on roof. Another day to go, and we started on Thursday.... :lol: It is giving me plenty of time to read Trip Reports now we have good signal though!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby apollo0815 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Are you really in Holland, Mal? Or in the Netherlands?
https://www.snotr.com/video/10399/

Great report Jaxter , reminded me that I have to do a lot of them still.
Next time tip: When driving towards Lochinver, have a look into the Secret Tea Garden in Drumbeg, You might fit into their target group.
Thank for the great images, especially of Assynt, I have already booked a self catering home at Culkein next year in May. Last chance, before Mrs May starts to act Trumpish imposing travel regulations :I)
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:36 pm

Wow, what a photo fest! I can see that Suilven is going to be in your dreams for some time to come!

That pic of Ben Loyal looking across the sea is fantastic - as indeed are many others.

You were quite lucky with the ankle, in that I suppose it could have been a lot worse. I Because most of my walks are solo, including scrambles and climbs, my family pressured me into getting a PLB, and I must admit to feeling a little more secure as a consequence (though I still pack my sac with emergency stuff :roll: ).

I keep saying it; but I WILL get up to this part of the far north in the not-too-distant future...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:53 pm

apollo0815 wrote:Are you really in Holland, Mal? Or in the Netherlands?

Hoek van Holland at the time, so yes I was! :D Fun video, I was vaguely aware of the difference, but not fully.

(Sorry for the thread hijack Jaxter!)
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:40 pm

Brilliant read and photos Jaxter :clap:

Your last camp spot overlooking the bay is absolutely fantastic, well done.

Ankle and knee injuries seem to like each other. I've sprained my right ankle more times than I care to remember and managed a full-on dislocation in 2012, before injuring my right knee in 2014. Clearly the solution from now on is to hope everywhere on my left leg :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Graeme D » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:01 pm

Nice wee tour of the neighbourhood! :clap: 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby denfinella » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:40 pm

Very nice - must have taken you almost as long to write the report as to walk the hills :shock: . You seem to have been fairly lucky with the weather (with one fairly obvious exception!).

Lovely photos - Suilven looks quite different from the top of Canisp compared to the west / north / south we saw it from! By the way, how did you manage to get more than 25 photos in a single post? WH tells me I'm exceeding the limit when I try to do that...
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby rockhopper » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:53 pm

Cracking report - enjoyed reading it :) Efficient and productive trip - I do like the mix of hills and other activities and the sunset shots. Brings back memories of holidays in the '70s in the Achmelvich/Drumbeg area - really just make an effort to get back up there - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dogplodder » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:53 pm

Ben Loyal and Canisp both on the shortlist so good to get your preview! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Jaxter » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:32 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Awesome trip, photos extra special with the borrowed DSLR. Some of the finest hills anywhere on that lost....and the finest pies! Enjoyed your tale, as usual. Off to read other Meet stories now, will make one eventually I hope.

I must take issue with one thing. Glasgow (?) to Tongue is not a long journey :D . Roros, Norway, to Surrey, via Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Holland (currently), East Anglia, Cheshire, Yorkshire then home, is a long journey. In the back of a minivan with canoes on roof. Another day to go, and we started on Thursday.... :lol: It is giving me plenty of time to read Trip Reports now we have good signal though!

Thanks - I just love it up there 8) Your trip does sound like a bit of a mission :lol: I find a big drive as well as a hillwalk, especially as I'm usually on my own really takes it out of me :shock:

apollo0815 wrote:Great report Jaxter , reminded me that I have to do a lot of them still.
Next time tip: When driving towards Lochinver, have a look into the Secret Tea Garden in Drumbeg, You might fit into their target group.
Thank for the great images, especially of Assynt, I have already booked a self catering home at Culkein next year in May. Last chance, before Mrs May starts to act Trumpish imposing travel regulations :I)

Thanks 8) Plenty good hills up there :D Tea Garden added to the list for next trip!
Fingers crossed Mrs May will be a nightmare of the past by then :shock: :wink:

Alteknacker wrote:Wow, what a photo fest! I can see that Suilven is going to be in your dreams for some time to come!

That pic of Ben Loyal looking across the sea is fantastic - as indeed are many others.

You were quite lucky with the ankle, in that I suppose it could have been a lot worse. I Because most of my walks are solo, including scrambles and climbs, my family pressured me into getting a PLB, and I must admit to feeling a little more secure as a consequence (though I still pack my sac with emergency stuff :roll: ).

I keep saying it; but I WILL get up to this part of the far north in the not-too-distant future...

Suilven is a special hill isn't it, and I've no even climbed it yet :lol: The PLB is a good idea; I usually walk alone and although I carry the kitchen sink with me its a thought :wink:

jupe1407 wrote:Brilliant read and photos Jaxter :clap:

Your last camp spot overlooking the bay is absolutely fantastic, well done.

Ankle and knee injuries seem to like each other. I've sprained my right ankle more times than I care to remember and managed a full-on dislocation in 2012, before injuring my right knee in 2014. Clearly the solution from now on is to hope everywhere on my left leg :lol:

Cheers JP - it's an amazing place 8) I was terrible with ankles when I was a wean, been a lot better more recently so hopefully it's just a blip :lol:

Graeme D wrote:Nice wee tour of the neighbourhood! :clap: 8)

Cheers pal, you missed out :wink:

denfinella wrote:Very nice - must have taken you almost as long to write the report as to walk the hills :shock: . You seem to have been fairly lucky with the weather (with one fairly obvious exception!).

Lovely photos - Suilven looks quite different from the top of Canisp compared to the west / north / south we saw it from! By the way, how did you manage to get more than 25 photos in a single post? WH tells me I'm exceeding the limit when I try to do that...

Thanks - sorting the photos was the longest bit - hours and hours :shock: :shock:
If you upload your photos to an external source and link to them you can add as many as you like. I use Flickr and find it pretty user-friendly :wink:

rockhopper wrote:Cracking report - enjoyed reading it :) Efficient and productive trip - I do like the mix of hills and other activities and the sunset shots. Brings back memories of holidays in the '70s in the Achmelvich/Drumbeg area - really just make an effort to get back up there - cheers :)

Thanks - I love a good sunset 8) Can't go to Assynt and Sutherland without visiting the Pie Shop and Cocoa Mountain., it's just not allowed :lol:

dogplodder wrote:Ben Loyal and Canisp both on the shortlist so good to get your preview! :D

Both fabulous hills - hope you are as lucky with the weather as I was 8) :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:59 pm

The PLB is a good idea; I usually walk alone and although I carry the kitchen sink with me its a thought :wink:

We carried a "SPOT" in Sweden/Norway, which you can pre-set with "we're safely in camp getting drunk" type messages for loved ones following from home, linked to a location on a google maps type thing (e.g. https://www.findmespot.com/mylocation/?id=lPmOz/62.31728N/12.17365E), but also has a "Get Me Out of Here" button for emergency use. When we ran out of wine it was tempting...
We did have a bad ankle sprain for one of the team, but fortunately we could continue it just meant the other 3 of us carrying all his gear for a couple of days too while he hobbled on. If it had been broken, the SPOT would have been used I think, we were way out of mobile signal at that point.
Normally I would never have considered such a device, but in wilder parts where phone signal is unlikely, its nice to know you have a means of escape, I guess. Though I suspect I'd have preferred to walk out and fetch help by finding a phone system unless it was a serious injury, and I've never carried one in the UK. It does also help that somebody else bought it and pays the subscription!!!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Postby Magoo82 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:08 am

Ahem, I didn't drive into a ditch, my poor wee car was just tired and needed a rest! :(

Looks like you made the most of it with a few good walks. We got really lucky with the weather on Ben Loyal, I was fully prepared for a soaking. I don't usually bother with the corbetts but it was a good day out :D
Magoo82
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   Islands:15

Postby Jaxter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:25 pm

Mal Grey wrote:
The PLB is a good idea; I usually walk alone and although I carry the kitchen sink with me its a thought :wink:

We carried a "SPOT" in Sweden/Norway, which you can pre-set with "we're safely in camp getting drunk" type messages for loved ones following from home, linked to a location on a google maps type thing (e.g. https://www.findmespot.com/mylocation/?id=lPmOz/62.31728N/12.17365E), but also has a "Get Me Out of Here" button for emergency use. When we ran out of wine it was tempting...
We did have a bad ankle sprain for one of the team, but fortunately we could continue it just meant the other 3 of us carrying all his gear for a couple of days too while he hobbled on. If it had been broken, the SPOT would have been used I think, we were way out of mobile signal at that point.
Normally I would never have considered such a device, but in wilder parts where phone signal is unlikely, its nice to know you have a means of escape, I guess. Though I suspect I'd have preferred to walk out and fetch help by finding a phone system unless it was a serious injury, and I've never carried one in the UK. It does also help that somebody else bought it and pays the subscription!!!

I was just having a look at SPOT - it looks pretty nifty actually :thumbup: There's something in me that likes being completely isolated though :lol:

Magoo82 wrote:Ahem, I didn't drive into a ditch, my poor wee car was just tired and needed a rest! :(

Looks like you made the most of it with a few good walks. We got really lucky with the weather on Ben Loyal, I was fully prepared for a soaking. I don't usually bother with the corbetts but it was a good day out :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: I cannae believe we didn't get a photo :wink: Aye the weather was decent! Corbetts are awesome, much quieter than munros :D Except for Ben Loyal that day of course...I think most of WH was up :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby malky_c » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:24 pm

Nice week, with the best weather (as usual) not at the meet :lol: . I should probably have come on the meet actually, but was due to go up to Kearvaig with my brother in law round about the same time. That trip seems to have been postponed indefinitely so I'll have to get my dose of the far north another time.

Good looking route off Canisp - had this in mind as a way up next time - as you say the approach from near Inchnadamph isn't that exciting.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland