walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A great walk even with some heavy showers.

A great walk even with some heavy showers.

Postby bacon1981 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:45 pm

Route description: South Glen Shiel Ridge: 7 Munros

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Air Chrith, Creag a'Mhàim, Creag nan Dàmh, Druim Shionnach, Maol chinn-dearg, Sgùrr an Doire Leathain, Sgùrr an Lochain

Date walked: 05/08/2017

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 26.75 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having read a lot of other walk reports I really fancied this ridge walk. With the weather looking ok I set off early with the dog and parked up in the Cluanie Inn. Boots on and away by 6:30.
It was a lovely bright morning with some cloud, a simple walk up the road gradually climbing before turning off just before a bridge and then zig zags up to the first summit for about 9:00. As I took my cairn photo the cloud thickened and the first spots of rain started, headed for number two but had to get the waterproofs on half way as the heavens opened. It was heavy for a short spell but you could still get some great views. Less than an hour up to cairn number two. Waterproofs off and back to the t shirt as it cleared on the way to Aonach Air Chrith reached the summit before 11 but couldn't get a decent photo thru the cloud. A slight clamber down from this one but soon back to good walking and views up to number 4 and the clouds started to thicken again. Not quite quick enough with the overtrousers and got a bit soaked on the way towards number 5 for the day, it was never that windy all day or cold so the wet trousers soon dried out.
A very small cairn marks the turn off up the summit of number 5 and the path on towards Sgurr an Lochain when you return back down. Reached summit number 6 at 13:30, the descents between hills were starting to get sore on the knees but fairly flat walking around the hill towards the final summit was good going. There are old metal fence posts and parts of a stone wall along the last few sections of the walk, I don't think I would of fancied that job..
Last summit of the day completed now time to head for the A87 and hopefully catch the bus, phone a taxi or just grin and bear the walk up the road.
Not a particularly easy decent my knees were really sore now and I was feeling every step down, the few flat sections were fine but I was so glad to reach tarmac again 17:30.
One of the best bits of the day came shortly after I'd got the waterproofs off and the bag all sorted ready to head along the road, two guys (father and son) who had been roughly one hill behind me all day came through the gate and offered me a lift back up to the Cluanie Inn.
I was quite prepared to walk up the road if I had no other option but after seeing how busy it was and the speed of the cars it really isn't a great option. I think that if they didn't arrive to very kindly offer me a lift I would of phoned a taxi from Kintail.
It was a really enjoyable, long day out the weather wasn't quite as good as I thought it would be but it didn't ruin the day and the icing on the cake was that a couple of strangers were quite happy to take me and a wet smelly dog up the road in their car.
bacon1981
Mountaineer

Munros:125   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:3

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland