walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corbett Running - Beinn Each (OUCH!)

Corbett Running - Beinn Each (OUCH!)

Postby Avocetboy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:17 am

Route description: Beinn Each from Loch Lubnaig

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Each

Date walked: 09/08/2017

Time taken: 1.25 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 680m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I thought this one was going to be easy! Only 7K and only a Corbett after all. Parked up in the layby and got myself changed and realized that I had got no waterproofs and no fleece, which I usually pack in case of emergency. However, forecast was good, so I stuffed a dirty running shirt into my pack, just in case needed.

Set of up the gravel track, through the gate and then, immediately had to walk as the slope was too steep. This pretty much carried on all the way through the trees, skirting round the fallen ones and attempting to run whenever the gradient eased. Eventually reached the track and had a nice run for 0.5K before the track up the hill was reached. I never realized that this would be so steep, every step, was in fact a "step" and running was not possible apart from on the narrow traverses across the slope. Reached the false summit and was then able to run the final up and down up to the actual summit. This was reached in 51 minutes.

I had thought about continuing over to Stuc a Chroin, but a quick look at the ascent off Each and the various ups and downs put me off considering both the time and the fact that my legs felt tired. I hung about on the summit for a bout 20 minutes, soaking up the sunshine and the views. South, I could see all the way to Tinto and to the North East, the Lawers Range looked fantastic.

Legs refreshed, I set off down. Very difficult to properly run due to the steepness and the steps and coming off the hill path I went over on my ankle causing me to yelp out loud. Fortunately no damage done and I was thankful that I run in trail boots, rather than shoes. Run down took 25 minutes.

Thoroughly enjoyed this, but without doubt, the toughest hill run I have done, based on steepness.

A few photos

ImageBen Each by paul wilson, on Flickr

Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland