walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Topping up the tan in Kintail

Topping up the tan in Kintail

Postby Jaxter » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:48 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Mhic Bharraich

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr an Airgid, Sgùrr Mhic Bharraich

Date walked: 12/07/2017

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1732m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous installment

Wednesday 12th July
Sgurr Mhic Bharraich
9.1km
813m ascent
3 hours

It was with a heavy heart that I left Skye, but the weather was set to break the next day and I was hoping to get to Kintail in order to break the long journey home. I stopped in Broadford for a few supplies and to enjoy the views.

The Kylerhea Hills

Beinn na Cailleach

The Skye Bridge

I had a leisurely drive down the road and decided to stay at Shiel Bridge Campsite purely because I really really really needed a shower :lol: I had the tent pitched and everything set up…my watch read 4.45…. :idea: :idea:

It was such a lovely evening, so I chucked on my boots, grabbed a map and went for an evening wander. The Corbett, Sgurr Mhic Bharraich, behind the campsite was my target. Why not, I was right there?! :lol:

I followed the track alongside the burn before taking the stalkers path uphill over the rocky ground. Through the “gate” which consisted of one of those packing pallets and across the bridge and I was into Gleann Undalainn.

It was very warm and I was really glad I had chosen my lighter boots for this excursion. Until I stepped into a bog that is :lol:

Fortunately the views ahead were excellent – the Forcan Ridge and the Saddle

After a while, the path split and I took the right fork which started climbing easily uphill and soon met the Allt na h-Innse Gairbhe. I followed this path for a while before leaving it and heading straight uphill. In hindsight I think I left it a bit early, but hey…who doesn’t love a bit of steep off-roading :roll: :lol:

Looking back to the Forcan Ridge

This straight uphill went on for some time before I finally found myself on something resembling a ridge. There were even smatterings of a path :shock:

The Five Sisters

Looking down to Morvich

Eventually reaching a shallow dip (I had got exciting thinking it was the summit :lol: ) I crossed it and dragged my poor aching legs up the final pull to the summit where a large cairn left me in no doubt that I was really there :thumbup:

The views were absolutely stunning, I could see all the way back to Skye

Beinn Sgritheall looked majestic

And tomorrow morning’s potential target of Sgurr an Airgid was in view on the right with the Lochcarron hills in the distance

Summit pose

I was starting to get hungry so followed the shortcut return route directly back down to the Gleann Undalainn path. It turned out to be a quick and direct but fairly unpleasant route – very steep, healthery at the top and then lots of bracken nearer the bottom. I was very relieved to reach the path in one piece :lol:

The Forcan

Looking back up what I’d just come down – not quite wheat fields but… :lol:

From here it was an easy walk along the path back to the campsite.

The Campsite, which had filled up significantly!

Loch Duich

I had time for a shower, some dinner and hot chocolate before a nice early night.

Sgurr Mhic Bharraich.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Thursday 13th July
Sgurr an Airgid
11km
916m ascent
3 hours 30 mins

The next morning I woke up, packed my things up and decided I felt like I had another hill in me. The weather still looked good – it was forecast to break around lunchtime.

A drove a couple of miles back down the road towards Morvich and parked at the burial ground car park. There was a car covered in police tape but nobody else to be seen… :crazy:

Beinn Fhada

Boots on, I grabbed my pack and headed through the gate on the opposite side of the road. A decent track led me steadily upwards. My legs were feeling pretty tired but a steady pace saw me gaining height quickly.

Looking back to Loch Duich and last night’s summit – Sgurr Mhic Bharraich

Strath Coe

After zig-zagging for a while, I met the deer fence, squeezed through a gateway and continued along what was now a footpath but continued gaining height through a series of zig zags.

Eventually I reached the top of the ridge! Here a cairn marks a path leading off to the left.

Looking back

Initially this was flat and boggy before climbing more steeply up the ridge, over a few false summits and finally to the top of Sgurr an Airgid, marked by a slightly worse for wear trig point :lol:

Looking out across Loch Duich

Nice light

Windy selfie!

The wind had picked up significantly and I didn’t really fancy hanging around too much. I decided to have a wander over to the cairn at the 824 spot to see if the views were any better. Although it was still dry and the sun was around and about, I could see the weather starting to close in on some of the higher hills.

Kyle of Lochalsh and the Skye Bridge

North – Affric and Lochcarron

Beinn Sgritheall starting to hide

It was time to go. The route down was uneventful as I just retraced my steps, although I did notice that the zig zags were really steep – no wonder my legs felt tired on the way up :lol:

I arrived back at the car and chilled out for a few minutes before driving to the Cluanie to see my friend Adam and have a big plate of the best mac n cheese in the highlands (in my opinion) before the long drive home.

Not a bad trip :wink: :thumbup:

Sgurr an Airgid.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Topping up the tan in Kintail

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Nope. never heard of either of them! :lol:

You certainly pack it in when you get away! Good effort indeed...
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Jaxter » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:31 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Nope. never heard of either of them! :lol:

It's funny, Dean camped up on Airgid a few weeks earlier and since then at least two WH'ers have been up :lol: It's funny how you never hear about Sgurr Mhic Bharraich though, seeing as it's so accessible from the campsite. Cannae see whits on yer doorstep I guess :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby BobMcBob » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:22 pm

Always makes me laugh, being from Hertfordshire, when people from Glasgow call Skye a "long drive home" :D It's on yer bloomin' doorstep, stop moanin' :D

Sgurr an Airgid is my second most climbed Scottish hill for some bizarre reason related to the campsite at Morvich being my second home :) There's a fun scrambly route up Creag an Ruighe that I found one day when I went for a random wander.

Haven't done the other one but thanks to those photos I now feel like I ought to to :)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Jaxter » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:22 pm

BobMcBob wrote:Always makes me laugh, being from Hertfordshire, when people from Glasgow call Skye a "long drive home" :D It's on yer bloomin' doorstep, stop moanin' :D

Ach it feels like a long way on your own and tired :roll: :lol:

Sgurr an Airgid is my second most climbed Scottish hill for some bizarre reason related to the campsite at Morvich being my second home :) There's a fun scrambly route up Creag an Ruighe that I found one day when I went for a random wander.

Haven't done the other one but thanks to those photos I now feel like I ought to to :)

There's another person been up Airgid! More popular than it seems :lol: Both excellent viewpoints 8) :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby malky_c » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Was just looking at a more roundabout route up Sgurr an Airgid for a future Kintail visit. It has great views of the 5 Sisters :) .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby rockhopper » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:30 pm

Quire right too - why not make the best of the weather when you're up there anyway. :thumbup: Had half considered adding on one or two of these when up at Killilan recently but the weather wasn't going to hold out long enough for another day or so - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Jaxter » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:10 pm

malky_c wrote:Was just looking at a more roundabout route up Sgurr an Airgid for a future Kintail visit. It has great views of the 5 Sisters :) .

It is a great viewpoint isn't it! I'll have to go back now my camera is fixed :lol:

rockhopper wrote:Quire right too - why not make the best of the weather when you're up there anyway. :thumbup: Had half considered adding on one or two of these when up at Killilan recently but the weather wasn't going to hold out long enough for another day or so - cheers :)

I saw your report - can't wait to get back to that area. Let's face it, the west coast is just awesome 8) :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland