walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain

Beinn Narnain

Postby johnscot55 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:02 am

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 12/08/2017

Time taken: 7 hours

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my first report. About twenty years ago or so, I was a very occasional hillwalker, but after stumbling into early retirement in February, I decided I needed something physical to do, so in April aged 62, I decided to start hillwalking again. I told friends and family that I was going to climb Mount Everest this summer, but to take the stunned look off their faces, explained that I was aiming for combined ascent of 30,000ft in the Scottish hills. I'm happy to say that I passed that on my eleventh walk on Ben Ledi. Making it even more enjoyable was the fact that for six of these walks I was joined by my 9 year old grandson, Matthew, giving him something to do during the school holidays.
For my twelfth walk Matthew and I set off for Beinn Narnain, which would be his third Munro after Ben Lomond and Schiehallion. (Conic, Cobbler, and Ledi being his other walks). After studying a Youtube video we found the small path that cuts into the trees almost immediately after beginning of the main path (just before the telegraph pole). The rain on Friday meant that we were soon walking in a stream and negotiating boggy bits and by the time we cleared all this to reach the first grassy plateau, Matthew was in a fair old state. He had sunk to his knees a few times and had also sat back on his behind, so he was "mockit" from the waist down.
narnain 1.jpg
near the start
narnain 2.jpg
at last, a view.
narnain 3.jpg
first view of the cobbler without cloud cover

His spirit was lifted though when we got our first sight of the mighty (Matthew's word) Cobbler.
narnain 4.jpg
me and some of the cobbler
We had done this a couple of weeks earlier but the three summits were in cloud at all times with no view from the summit, so he was thrilled to see it in all it's glory.
narnain 5.jpg
getting to the scramble bits

Onwards and upwards with some scrambling and some narrower ledges which made me a little nervous for Matthew, but eventually we were at the bottom of the "spearhead" and with a "puddy up" for Matthew at one bit, we eventually rounded the back of the spearhead and Matthew raced on to the summit, happy that we had climbed Narnain "the hard way".
narnain 6.jpg
me and matthew on the summit
I have to say, without wishing to put Matthew down, when we first started these walks, I was unsure how he would react when the "going got tough", but it has been great to see his determination to get to the summit and his satisfaction of achieving "the goal".
After pics and lunch we descended the back route to the bealach, crossing a huge boulder field and more boggy bits till the newly built bit of path was achieved and eventually the main path. Time constraints meant Ime wasn't possible (previously arranged dinner date with friends in Glasgow that evening) which was a pity as we were both up for it.
Back along past the Narnain Boulders to the car park, 7hrs after we started.
narnain 7.jpg
returning in the bealach
My car is only a couple of weeks old, so much to Matthew's "do I have to?" both doors were opened whilst he took off his boots, socks and trousers and jumped into the back seat in his underpants (must get his mum to give me a spare pair of shorts or trousers in the future, not just socks and t-shirt). All in all, a great grandfather, grandson day!
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Munros:67   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Beinn Narnain

Postby rockhopper » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:10 pm

Nice day for it and a good first report - well done and to Matthew as well - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby JimboJim » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:56 pm

Good. I like to see photo's of hills, but better hills and people :)
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby willsdad » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:48 pm

:clap: Well done.
Great pics. It makes me optimistic that my 6yr old will soon be interested in joining me :wink:
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Postby The Lady In Ivan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:18 pm

Well Done Matthew...lets hope there are many more "mockits" to come! :lol:

I love to see kids on hills, I started all of mine really, really young and all three into adulthood still regularly walk and still love it!
The Lady In Ivan
Hill Bagger

Munros:276   Corbetts:29
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Islands:8

Postby johnscot55 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:08 pm

JimboJim wrote:Good. I like to see photo's of hills, but better hills and people :)

Thanks!
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Postby johnscot55 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:13 pm

The Lady In Ivan wrote:Well Done Matthew...lets hope there are many more "mockits" to come! :lol:

I love to see kids on hills, I started all of mine really, really young and all three into adulthood still regularly walk and still love it!

Thanks. I forgot to mention he also went knee deep down a hidden, grass covered, water filled hole. All part of the fun!
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Postby johnscot55 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:15 pm

RTC wrote:Well done on getting young Matthew out on the hills.

Thanks!
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Postby johnscot55 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:23 pm

willsdad wrote::clap: Well done.
Great pics. It makes me optimistic that my 6yr old will soon be interested in joining me :wink:

Thanks. I'm a bit surprised how keenly he has taken to it. I took him on a reasonably easy walk (Meikle Bin) in the Ochils when he was six, but it's just this summer we have both taken it a little more seriously, so I hope you can get your six year old started soon.
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Postby johnscot55 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:24 pm

rockhopper wrote:Nice day for it and a good first report - well done and to Matthew as well - cheers :)

Thanks!
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:33 pm

Well done both of you, looks like a great family day out on the hills!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Coop » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:46 pm

Dig in Matthew and you'll achieve all your goals.
Well done. :clap:
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:42 pm

Wow - not only do we share first WH reports, but yours is absolutely lovely! My dad took me out in the mountains when he retired and I was 15 (so quite late) and I've always been grateful. Lucky Matthew!
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Postby iangpark » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:55 pm

I'm only 21 and I'm feeling the grandfatherly love! The Cobbler was the first proper hill walk I went on with my dad a few years ago - your report brings back some nice memories :)
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland