walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

The Arran Coastal Way

The Arran Coastal Way

Postby Grievesy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:31 am

Greetings fellow walkers, I am leaving to do the Arran Coastal next week I am just wondering if any of you who have walked it already have any hints or tips for me on things to do, see or general advice on the walk.

a bit about me - all the gear, some idea :) first ever long walk was the WHW last year, we only got past halfway when my friend hurt his foot and we had to sack it. This we will finish but he isn't off next week so I thought I'd venture out on one on my own. I figured the Arran Coastal would be a good start seeing as you can't really get lost on it, just keep hand-railing the coastline.

With it being 63-65 miles (depending on what report your reading) I had a fancy rough idea of:

Day 1 Brodick - Lochranza
Day 2 Lochranza - Machrie
Day 3 Machrie - Lagg?
Day 4 Lagg?- Brodick
Day 5 is available if I'm behind schedule
Day 6 is the missus birthday, so if I ain't home on Day 5, I may as well not come home.

roughly about 17 miles per day with wild/camping in between. I will be carrying all my kit with me including a few ration meals I have lying around but I'm sure if I see a café or something I could supplement the rations for fresh food :) that and of course I wouldn't say no to do fish supper and a pint at the end of each days walking.

Most walk reports suggest walking the route anti-clockwise. Due to the time constraints I was unsure as I'd love to climb Goatfell, but I'd rather leave it until the end to see how I'm doing on time and or effort. Don't want to do it on Day 1 as I'll never make Lochranza by dark.

Never been to Arran before, feel buzzing for a proper little adventure, just really feel the need to drop off the grid for a few days to properly recharge my batteries if that makes any sense? hopefully the first of many to come! I ain't a famous author but I will try and sting together a walk report at the end of it for you all to read.

Thanks in advance for the help!
- G
Grievesy
Scrambler

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion