walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Crossing the Folk Burn

Crossing the Folk Burn

Postby Jaywizz » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:41 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Corserine

Donalds included on this walk: Carlin's Cairn, Corserine

Date walked: 15/08/2017

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 884m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ok - I should have read the Walkhighlands description of this route, and not just the SMC Grahams and Donalds book (published 2015), so this post is for anyone else who just reads the book!
From the carpark, the route is as described in the book (and on this website), but the crossing of the Folk Burn is now by a 'bridge' where the stream has been piped below the track.
WH Corserine former crossing.jpg
Ignore the ford - carry on to the bridge (follow the signs)

WH Corserine new bridge.jpg
Stream now piped under the rough track

After that the way is very wet to the edge of the forest and the stile is currently in a shaky state. The blue 'walkers signs' had led me to expect a high deer fence, but the fence is low and the top line of rusty barbed wire has been cut back.
WH Corserine stile.jpg
Stile is a bit shaky but there is always the gate

A small but distinct path leads up on to the summit plateau, and from there easy walking on to the trig point.
WH Corserine summit trig.jpg
Low cloud swirling about, next stop Carlin's Cairn as seen beyond the trig

WH Corserine rain cloud.jpg
A few heavy showers and then sunshine all the way back down

A very pleasant walk back to my bike near the end of the forest track - and then another bone-shaking freewheel back to the car park. If I ever buy another bike, it will definitely have suspension - this bike, bless, only cost £99, at the time I just wanted something that would get me to the hills, I wouldn't worry if it was rained on or if it was nicked. Now, many years on, it has never been stolen - perhaps potential thieves only take bikes with suspension!
(So sad to read of a bike theft in a recent posting.)
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:35
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:172   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland