walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Slioch

Slioch

Postby IainG » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:07 pm

Route description: Slioch, near Kinlochewe

Munros included on this walk: Slioch

Date walked: 04/04/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This trip report is about our hike up Slioch and another hill, to find and check on a memorial for the father of someone we met in Kinlochewe. It made for a great walk in the wilds of Letterewe in what was simply stunning conditions.

We had a good debate on this walk about memorials on hills, and came to the conclusion that we better not name the hill as the 'wilderness' brigade might be up there looking to remove the memorial. Had this memorial been on a munro, it would have been wrecked.

I'm not a fan of memorials, but there was a story behind this one and the connection that this man had with this hill. He was a keeper who lived at the cottage near Incheril and spent his working life in the hills of Letterewe. He had a fondness for one hill in particular, not the mighty Slioch, but a lower and more anonymous hill. From this hill, he could see Harris, his birthplace, on a clear day. His wife hiked up alone from Incheril with his ashes and built a cairn on the hillside overlooking his favourite view. It was a stunning spot.

It was the blokes daughter we met and she asked if we would check to see if the cairn was still there and that it had survived the last winters. It would turn a hike up Slioch into a great day out, so we done it.

We headed up to Kinlochewe on the Wednesday afternoon it was a stunner. This was looking down Glen Docherty.

The evening light streamed into the campervan. This was summer!!

I was making use of my new caravan club membership :twisted: which entitled us to a healthy discount at the Kinlochewe caravan site. This is a brilliant site with all the usual facilities, and spotless. Slioch looked about 5 mins away from where we were.

A good car park at Incheril at the start of the walk. The weather wasn't as good as the previous day, but it was clearing.

A pleasant walk along Kinlochewe River, with some surprising nature moments.

Near Loch Maree we headed up the hillside towards the coire.

The Coire na Sleaghaich is a huge bowl, where the ascent to Slioch loomed ahead.

Up on the coire rim, the weather was getting better.

Taking no chances, we went along the summit ridge to the 3 high points, the cairn, the trig point, and the north top.

Quite simply, the views down Loch Maree were breathtaking.

Looking down to Tull Bhain.

From the summit.

The Letterewe wilderness.

We then headed along the ridge towards Tuill Bhain, descended north and headed out to Donald MacLeods hill. After a bit of searching, we came across his memorial. It was in a fine spot.

From here, we headed out along Lochan Fada along Gleann Bianasdail. This is a stunning high pass. Very himalayan as the path hugs a high line most of the way down.

A great day in the hills. From here we headed down to Shiel Bridge for our next jaunt. Some nice postcard snaps on the way!!

IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Slioch

Postby doogz » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:51 pm

Absolute class Iain..

great tribute

dougie 8)
doogz

Postby cjwaugh » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:58 pm

Excellent pictures and a great report well done Iain :)
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:57 am

Some real stunning pics there Iain. I love the one with the sky and the walker holding up his stick, and also the memorial one with A'Mhaigdean in the background - brilliant.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby yokehead » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:25 pm

Superb report, instantly gives itchy feet wanting to be back in the Highlands. Those views! And I agree the memorial photo is quite special.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby kevsbald » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:25 am

Wonderful views. Must get up there and do that one.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby jaggystu71 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:34 pm

Totally enjoyed your report, fantastic pics
jaggystu71

Munros:22   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:20
Wainwrights:34   

Postby Myth » Fri May 08, 2009 10:18 am

Lovely pictures...

I've looked at Slioch from several angles, but never yet tried it... just hope I get a day like yours when I do try it!

Your poor 'van parked up on a campsite... but at least a nice one! I try and avoid them in the 'van, although on longer trips we do end up using about twice a week to empty/refill and enjoy a lengthy steaming hot shower.
Myth

Postby Maz MacLeod » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:53 pm

That's my dads cairn, I made it up to see it last year and went the long way up through the Hights of Kinlochewe, I was hoping to go again this year but the weather has been so bad. Thanks guys for checking it for me and for the photos and yes it is in an amazing place. :)
Maz MacLeod
Hill Bagger

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland