walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Wales/Snowdonia meet. 1st-3rd September 2017.

Wales/Snowdonia meet. 1st-3rd September 2017.

Postby mountainstar » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:21 pm

I've been organising this on Talk highlands Facebook group. It's an informal offshoot of the usual WalkHighland meets.
Up to now about a dozen or so are coming along, anyone is welcome to come along.
A few of us are also going to Dulyn Bothy on the Thursday night, it's a grand bothy in the heart of the Carneddiau, if anyone wants to join us on that give me a shout for details.
It will be in the village of Capel Curig which has a few bars, cafes, a Spar and outdoor shop.
It will be just a camping site meet, but there are Hostels/Hotels/B&B's in Capel Curig if people want any of those options (Please book these other options yourself).

The Campsite...
http://www.dolgam-snowdonia.co.uk/camping.html

If anyone needs a hostel...
http://snowdoniahostel.co.uk/

Note. I'm away doing the Pennine Way over the next several days, so I may not be able to answer any questions etc very quickly.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Re: Wales/Snowdonia meet. 1st-3rd September 2017.

Postby Arthurs Eat » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:11 pm

Although not going coming along, I can thoroughly recommend St Curig B&B.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:01 pm

Hi, I would be interested in principle. I'm not on Facebook, so didn't see anything. Any more detail?

AK
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby mountainstar » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:15 am

Alteknacker wrote:Hi, I would be interested in principle. I'm not on Facebook, so didn't see anything. Any more detail?

AK

Hi, it's just a meet up, basically we go on walk/or walks on Sat, and Sunday if anyone is stopping, there's a few pubs nearby so we end up there in the evening , if the weather is kind beers in the campsite. Very informal.
mountainstar
Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:59 am

mountainstar wrote:.... if the weather is kind beers in the campsite....

Which campsite? There is more than one in the area.

Also, what's the score with Dulyn bothy? Is it just that you plan to walk there on the Thursday, overnight, and then head to Capel Curig?

Also, how will folk hook up on Friday? (mobile reception is very poor in the valleys).

Thanks.

AK
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby montie » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:24 am

Hey AK, fancy doing the welsh 3000 on Sat 2nd September?
montie
Munro compleatist

Postby montie » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:39 am

We will all be staying at Dolgam Campsite. I think Malky is staying at the hostel. so Dulyn bothy on Thursday night then frid, sat night at Dolgam with beers and a wee guitar sesh. Group walk on the Saturday, I think Alan is taking the group up Tryfan. I may be doing the 3000 but it depends if i can get motivated and dont drink too much hahaha

Everyone is welcome
montie
Munro compleatist

Postby mountainstar » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:07 pm

As Monty said, the link to the campsite is at the top of this thread.
Dulyn bothy Thursday night, then drive around to Capel Curig Friday. Everybody meets in Dolgam campsite.
I have no phone reception in campsite.
I'll be in Blue VW caddy maxi converted camper van. Very Blue!
mountainstar
Walker

Postby malky_c » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:19 pm

British Gas blue - I keep thinking I've seen your van in my street!

No idea where I'm going to walk into Dulyn from. Will be staying at my parents beforehand so will probably get them to drop me in Aber or Bethesda for a hike over. Walking over to Capel the next day and staying in the fancy hostel for 2 nights. Hopefully a pint or 2 in the Bryn Tyrch or Ty'n y Coed.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mountainstar » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:58 pm

malky_c wrote:British Gas blue - I keep thinking I've seen your van in my street!

No idea where I'm going to walk into Dulyn from. Will be staying at my parents beforehand so will probably get them to drop me in Aber or Bethesda for a hike over. Walking over to Capel the next day and staying in the fancy hostel for 2 nights. Hopefully a pint or 2 in the Bryn Tyrch or Ty'n y Coed.

I can pick you up in Conwy or the valley somewhere, to drive up to the start of the Bothy walk if you want? Also give you lift back to Capel Curig the next day, although that's probably too easy for you.
mountainstar
Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:57 pm

montie wrote:Hey AK, fancy doing the welsh 3000 on Sat 2nd September?

Possibly. It's a fair old walk, and requires 2 cars because it's linear. A good time peak to peak is 12.5 hours, and one needs about 2 and a half hours to cover each end - the route I normally do (starting at Crib Goch) is 45 km and 4200m of ascent - 16 hours Naismith - plus an hour at each end to deliver/pick up cars. The last time I did it was with someone who has difficulty with heights, so Crib Goch took quite a bit longer than it normally would.

So something like a 4.00 am start (= 5.00am on the hill), back to the 2nd car by about 9.00pm, back to campsite by 9.45pm.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby malky_c » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:38 pm

mountainstar wrote:
malky_c wrote:British Gas blue - I keep thinking I've seen your van in my street!

I can pick you up in Conwy or the valley somewhere, to drive up to the start of the Bothy walk if you want? Also give you lift back to Capel Curig the next day, although that's probably too easy for you.

Cheers for the offer - could potentially still be taken up if the weather is guff...but as you say, too easy! If I don't have a decent walk to a bothy, I'll never sleep.

Doesn't need to be as epic as Monty's plans though :wink:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby The Lady In Ivan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:45 pm

Today my holiday was approved so I will be there!

I am leaving here on Wednesday and will have a couple of nights in the lakes. Hoping to make this trip a bit of a twin peak challenge!

Haven't been up Snowdon since I was about six so keen to get up that again if anybody is interested in joining me? Recommendations on a route from those in know would be appreciated?

Is anything else planned aside from Monty's epic?

...and my dancing shoes are looked out - Monty get that guitar tuned!!
The Lady In Ivan
Hill Bagger

Munros:276   Corbetts:29
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Islands:8

Postby mountainstar » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:43 pm

The Lady In Ivan wrote:Today my holiday was approved so I will be there!

I am leaving here on Wednesday and will have a couple of nights in the lakes. Hoping to make this trip a bit of a twin peak challenge!

Haven't been up Snowdon since I was about six so keen to get up that again if anybody is interested in joining me? Recommendations on a route from those in know would be appreciated?

Is anything else planned aside from Monty's epic?

...and my dancing shoes are looked out - Monty get that guitar tuned!!

I was thinking of doing a Glyders and Tryfan circuit, so we could catch Monty somewhere on his halfway point.
I can give you info on Snowdon routes on the Friday night, presuming you will be there by then.
mountainstar
Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:58 pm

Just wanted to express a big thank you to Mountainstar for arranging this. :clap:

My first WH meet, and it was really excellent - especially meeting so many of the WH stalwarts.

Really appreciated, Alan. :? :thumbup:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs