walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

How to tire out Jaxter!

How to tire out Jaxter!

Postby Jaxter » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:25 pm

Route description: Beinn Odhar, Beinn Chaorach and Cam Chreag

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaisteil (Auch), Beinn Chaorach, Beinn nam Fuaran, Beinn Odhar, Cam Chreag (Auch)

Date walked: 20/08/2017

Time taken: 9.15 hours

Distance: 27.64 km

Ascent: 2252m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a good day out on the Orchy Munro's last year, the next door Corbetts were a challenge I'd been eyeing up for a while. I checked what I thought was an unconvincing forecast late on Saturday to see it had turned into a belter of a day. Allegedly! So a last minute plan saw me choosing a nice challenge :thumbup:

The long hours of daylight meant I didn't have to get up too disgustingly early (although it did feel like it at the time :lol: ) and a relatively easy drive saw me at the parking spot and setting off at 9am. There was a bit of cloud around but I was confident that it would clear. It was what the forecast promised after all! :wink:

The first problem was getting across the railway but a quick climb over a gate and a level crossing sorted that problem, although it left me with a very steep climb and a deer fence the other side… eventually I was on the west highland way!

Beinn Dorain and Glen Orchy

Almost immediately I headed uphill. I knew this bit was going to be horrifically steep but the good thing was that it was pretty short. However it didn't feel that way… the ground was wet and slipppery and I was sliding around all over the place. However there was a nice breeze and the views were opening out.

I reached the Lochan where the gradient eased a little….

….before the final pull to the summit.

Looking back towards Tyndrum

By no means easy but I was standing on my first summit only a little over an hour from the start.

Meall Buidhe

Beinn Dorain and the Orchy Munros

Despite a lot of the higher tops around were still in the cloud, I could see all of my route ahead.

Cam Chreag & Beinn Chaorach

Jaxter special

Beinn Dorain in cloud and the glen below

Cam Chreag with Chreag Mhor behind and Loch Lyon

It was a great viewpoint and I could see a lot of hills that I'd climbed. There was a cold breeze (which was nice on the ascent but cools you down quickly) so I headed down initially gentle slopes to another Lochan before the going got really steep. I spent most of this descent on my backside and arrived at the bealach with a wet bum and a few muddy skid marks :roll:

Beinn Chaorach had looked very small from the summit of Beinn Odhar but from here it looked monstrous :shock: there was only one thing for it…I steadily made my way upwards, zig-zagging to the max.

Beinn a’ Chaisteil and Beinn Dorain

Beinn Dorain & the railway bridge

A wee burn provided some welcome refreshment! After a brutal 200m thankfully the gradient eased a little and I was able to at least breathe… :lol: Finally onto the top it was a short stroll to the trig point at the summit and despite being a tiny wee thing it was a fabulous viewpoint!

A wee wander south gave an even better view of Beinn Challum which looked pretty impressive from here.

Crianlarich hills

Glencoe peeking through

South

Beinn a’ Chaisteil and Beinn Dorain with the Black Mount and Glencoe behind

Looking across to Cam Chreag I was trying to work out which end the summit was… the map was unhelpful and to the eye they looked the same height. Doh…should have done my homework better :roll:

It was a mercifully easy descent down to the bealach where I picked up a path which led me safely through the bog and peat hags.

Both railway bridges now

I did see this strange contraption…anyone know what it might be?

Compared to the previous two summits, this climb was a walk in the park! But my legs were getting tired and it was warming up. Another burn gave an opportunity for a breather and to top up water supplies.

Ben Lui hills and Beinn Odhar

From here it was a short pull to the top and I was greeted by a cairn. Now I was 99% sure that I was on the summit..but it would be so annoying to get home and find id missed it for the sake of a couple of kilometres…

Ben Dorain and Beinn a’ Chaisteil

Ben Lui and friends

Ben Nevis almost clear

Loch Lyon

Beinn a’ Chaisteil & Beinn nam Fuaran with Dorain and Achaladair behind

Beinn Chaorach & Beinn Odhar with Lui & friends behind

I could see some people hang gliding near Beinn Dorain and this seemed like a good excuse to play with my pals expensive lens :lol:

I sat down for a sandwich and turned on my phone to find I had no signal to check, but at least I didn't have hundreds of messages pinging through. So I went for a (what turned out be totally unnecessary) stroll along to the end of the ridge. It wasn't a total loss, it was a nice walk and the views were good :lol:

Glen Lochay

The actual summit…with Orchy Massif behind

The hang gliders were out in force

Back at the summit, I could see my route ahead….long way down, long way up :lol:

Spiky Beinn Achaladair

It was actually a pretty nice descent, the ridge was gentle and soft but eventually it became very boggy and then very steep.

Looking back up

Safely down, I hopped across the burn and looked ahead. The steep cone of Beinn Na Fuaran was ahead.

There was an inkling of a path to begin with but this soon disappeared. I picked a straight line and made for the summit.

Looking back to the descent from Cam Chreag

My legs were really starting to feel it here and it was tough going. As I gained height I could see three people crossing the bealach between Beinn nam Fuaran and my final summit, Beinn a’ Chaisteil.

I dragged my tired self up the final pull and was at the summit! Fortunately that was the last big ascent. I took some time to enjoy the views - everything was clear. Except Ben Nevis of course :lol:

Beinn Achaladair and friends

Beinn Mhanach & Beinn a’ Chreachain behind

Loch Lyon

Achaladair

I was getting cold so it was time to go. Just as I was leaving I had my first human encounter of the day - turned out he had been following my route all day but I hadn't seen him :lol:

I headed off, meeting the first of the group of three as I began my descent. This was a busy hill :lol: the descent was very steep; I could have cut off to the side for a slightly easier time…but why make things easy? :lol:

As I approached the bottom I saw my tail from the top go running past…so that's how he caught me :lol: The bealach was really boggy and although my boots had kept my feet dry up until now, I could feel a bit of water coming through now. Past the point of caring, I bog-hopped my way across and began the final ascent. From below this has looked a nice gradual ascent but it felt anything but easy :shock:

I vaguely followed the fence posts up and up…and up…

Looking back (an excuse for a breather :lol: )

And a nice view….

Just as I was approaching the summit I felt a few spots of rain :shock: this wasn't forecast at all but it gave me the kick up the backside I needed to get there before it got wet! Fortunately the rain never actually materialised :lol:

Loch Lyon and Beinn nam Fuaran

Glen Orchy

Finally at the summit this was a tired Jaxter pose :lol:

First summit, Beinn Odhar

Orchy Massif

Moody Loch Lyon

Beinn Bhreac-Liath

With the threat of rain imminent and the breeze cooling down all the sweat on my back, I didn't linger too long.

I followed the ridge south, descending easily (and even on a path!) Eventually the path petered out and it was time to drop from the ridge. This was not an enjoyable part of the day.

Glen Coralan

It was steep and slippery and as I got lower it became boggy too. I managed to stay on my meet by some miracle and eventually emerged, aching, onto the track.

From here it was an easy walk back, gradually downhill to the river past a couple of impressive railway bridges….

…before I met the West Highland way for the return to the car. I had initially planned to park at Auch to avoid this walk at the end of the day but couldn't really find any parking. The sun chose this moment to come out and these last few uphill kilometres were tough 8) I met a few groups still walking and some setting up camp near the river.

Looking back

The final uphill done, I was back at the car. I downed about a litre of water and finished my sandwiches before I was safe to drive to the Green Welly where I had a cup of tea before contemplating the drive home :crazy:

I was relieved that my knee had survived a tough day out, although the cycle to work the next morning was…uncomfortable :lol: definitely a tougher circuit that the Munro's next door!! :lol: But an excellent day out :thumbup:
Attachments

Orchy Corbetts.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: How to tire out Jaxter!

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:09 pm

Blimey!

:clap:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby gaffr » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:44 am

Hello, When I went this way some time ago on Corbett duty I thought that the strange wee box with battery and perhaps a wind generator in the past etc. was to sent a current through the low level wires....are these still around?.....maybe short legged sheep in this area since the wires were just a few inches above the ground. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby jmarkb » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:52 pm

Good effort!

gaffr wrote:When I went this way some time ago on Corbett duty I thought that the strange wee box with battery and perhaps a wind generator in the past etc. was to sent a current through the low level wires....are these still around?.....

Yes, there used to be a wee turbine there: you might still find some remains of it on the ground nearby. I suspect that it really wasn't spec'd properly to survive winter storms up there!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby IreneM » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Phew! I'm tired just reading that! :wink:

Well done - that was an enormous day! :clap: :clap:

Smashing piccies too!
IreneM
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:195
Fionas:13   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:14

Postby ancancha » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:55 pm

Got to hand it to you Jaxter, that's several tough up and downs :clap: I've been up there and know :!:
I did a tough one here in Ireland a few months ago, and it took a week for my legs to start working properly again. Cycle to work the next day :shock:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Jaxter » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:59 am

Mal Grey wrote:Blimey!

:clap:

:lol: :lol:
Thanks, that's a polite version of what I said 8)

gaffr wrote:Hello, When I went this way some time ago on Corbett duty I thought that the strange wee box with battery and perhaps a wind generator in the past etc. was to sent a current through the low level wires....are these still around?.....maybe short legged sheep in this area since the wires were just a few inches above the ground. :)

There was what looked like a dead battery lying around, lots of old fence wire. Some very short fence posts which could have had wires on them a while ago :? Mystery :crazy:

jmarkb wrote:Good effort!

gaffr wrote:When I went this way some time ago on Corbett duty I thought that the strange wee box with battery and perhaps a wind generator in the past etc. was to sent a current through the low level wires....are these still around?.....

Yes, there used to be a wee turbine there: you might still find some remains of it on the ground nearby. I suspect that it really wasn't spec'd properly to survive winter storms up there!

Didn't see a wind turbine but wasn't looking too closely either :lol: A few more winters may have swept it away entirely :shock:

IreneM wrote:Phew! I'm tired just reading that! :wink:

Well done - that was an enormous day! :clap: :clap:

Smashing piccies too!

Thanks - it was a bigger day than I'd expected but I do like a challenge 8) :lol:

ancancha wrote:Got to hand it to you Jaxter, that's several tough up and downs :clap: I've been up there and know :!:
I did a tough one here in Ireland a few months ago, and it took a week for my legs to start working properly again. Cycle to work the next day :shock:

Thanks - it's tougher than it looks on paper isn't it :lol: Yeah legs were not happy the day after :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Graeme D » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:33 pm

As I said in the Other Place, this is a big route. Top effort. I remember that steep pull up from the WHW to the lochan below Beinn Odhar. I was carrying a 3-4 day pack and planning a multi day route round all the hills in a loop round Loch Lyon. It ended badly! :twisted:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Sgurr » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:44 pm

May have tired you out, but at least you got round in a reasonable time. Very well done indeed.

Best to do all these long hills when you are still young as I found to my cost . The Auch 5 took us 12 3/4 hours, but it WAS a 70th birthday treat, only way I could get husband to repeat it as he went up there pre the millenium as a friend said he couldn't possibly cover all that ground to check if there was still a colony of mountain ringlet butterflies up there, for a millenium butterfly project. They are plain and light brown and small, so I doubt if you would have thought them anything special, even if you had seen them.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Jaxter » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:11 pm

Graeme D wrote:As I said in the Other Place, this is a big route. Top effort. I remember that steep pull up from the WHW to the lochan below Beinn Odhar. I was carrying a 3-4 day pack and planning a multi day route round all the hills in a loop round Loch Lyon. It ended badly! :twisted:

:shock: :shock: Yikes that would be tough work....I've noticed a huge difference now I'm carrying around more camera equipment. Worth it though :lol:

Sgurr wrote:May have tired you out, but at least you got round in a reasonable time. Very well done indeed.

Best to do all these long hills when you are still young as I found to my cost . The Auch 5 took us 12 3/4 hours, but it WAS a 70th birthday treat, only way I could get husband to repeat it as he went up there pre the millenium as a friend said he couldn't possibly cover all that ground to check if there was still a colony of mountain ringlet butterflies up there, for a [url=<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Millennium+BUtterfly+Project&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjKga_ag_XVAhVZGsAKHSzNB_0QsAQIMw&biw=1680&bih=944#imgrc=GC8kzrNydOD6cM</span>:]millenium butterfly project[/url]. They are plain and light brown and small, so I doubt if you would have thought them anything special, even if you had seen them.

Thanks - was trying to take my time as steep descent on a gammy knee sounded like a recipe for disaster :lol: Serious respect for doing that at 70 :clap: :clap: Saw lots of frogs and slugs and sheep, have to confess I didn't notice any butterflies!
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:07 pm

You have tired me and no doubt others, reading about it, Stirling work and sounded like a good day and splendid views and photos
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Jaxter » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:17 am

Cairngorm creeper wrote:You have tired me and no doubt others, reading about it, Stirling work and sounded like a good day and splendid views and photos

Thankyou! Think I'll need to drink/eat more on future big walks :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:00 pm

Good to see this lot up close! I'd kind of hoped to include them in a round with the Orchy Munros in April, but I thought I'd struggle to do them all in daylight if the weather wasn't perfect, so chickened out in the end.

Reading about the bogs and bum-slides, I had to smile, having had a very similar experience on my descent from Beinn a'Chaisteil to Mam Lorn - all part of the great experience... :roll:

Quite surprised you found it tiring - seems a bit shorter than a certain Monar round... :wink:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Jaxter » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:06 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Good to see this lot up close! I'd kind of hoped to include them in a round with the Orchy Munros in April, but I thought I'd struggle to do them all in daylight if the weather wasn't perfect, so chickened out in the end.

Reading about the bogs and bum-slides, I had to smile, having had a very similar experience on my descent from Beinn a'Chaisteil to Mam Lorn - all part of the great experience... :roll:

Quite surprised you found it tiring - seems a bit shorter than a certain Monar round... :wink:

I was wondering why you hadn't just done the whole lot :lol: :lol: If there'd been snow like when I did the munros it would've been fun sliding 8)
Ach I lost all my fitness when I was injured last year :( Been a very slow and gradual road back but I'm getting there :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Sgurr » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:11 pm

Just to depress us both even further, we were passed by Manny Gorman RUNNING. He did a continuous round of the Corbetts in 70 days, and when I got his book found he took around 4 hours for this lot. He overtook us again on the Deargs in the Fisherfield when we had a brief chat at his camper van. We thought ours was an epic, so to discover he had done 3 other hills before our 2 and then overtaking us before the road was amazing.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/book-review-the-corbett-round-by-manny-gorman/0010294/

We play a bit part in the chapter including the Auch 5 as "elderly couple".
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland