walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A rain filled windy blast up Ben Rinnes

A rain filled windy blast up Ben Rinnes

Postby CarlWalters » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:10 pm

Route description: Ben Rinnes ascent

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Rinnes

Date walked: 26/08/2017

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 540m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A pleasant day was forecast, but pleasant weather was not had.

I had a few hours spare, and a desire to get into the hills. I'm going away with work for 5 months or so, and wanted one last quick blast up a Scottish hill! Seeing as I only live 30 minutes away from Ben Rinnes, it seemed the natural candidate.

The car park was relatively deserted, indicative of the weather situation, and I soon set on my way.

The track is so simple to follow you don't even need a map.

The start point:

IMG_6766.JPG

IMG_6752.JPG

The dog (Wilson) and I soon entered the cloud, hoping that it would clear in 30 minutes or so. How wrong were we! The weather was pretty strong, with horizontal rain for most of the walk - and the holes in my worn out boots soon let the water in and turned my feet to mush. I knew this would probably be my last walk in these boots, and this walk confirmed it. They have firmly been consigned to local dog walks from now on!

I could tell that the views would be wonderful, despite the fact that I couldn't see much more than twenty feet for the whole walk. (I think Wilson felt pretty battered by the wind for most of the walk!)

IMG_6765.JPG

I bumped into another walker on the hill, and exclaimed 'I don't know what is good about this morning'; only for the retort to be 'at least we are out and about'.

That's the lesson really isn't it - be grateful for life and health, enjoy the hill despite the rain and plod on!

The top was reached much sooner than expected - my intuition told me I had another km to go, but there were no complaints from either me or Wilson! Time for a quick windy Polish ham and bavarian cheese sandwich on the summit (under the watchful eye of the pooch), before literally jogging down to get back to the car and home to dry out.

IMG_6767.JPG

IMG_6768.JPG

A great way to spend my few free hours!
CarlWalters
Mountain Walker

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:22   

Re: A rain filled windy blast up Ben Rinnes

Postby PeteR » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:16 pm

Shame about the weather, as it is a great little hill when the sun shines.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: A rain filled windy blast up Ben Rinnes

Postby CarlWalters » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:14 am

PeteR wrote:Shame about the weather, as it is a great little hill when the sun shines.

Not to worry - this is my 'local' hill (albeit that I'm new to the area) so once I've returned from my work trip I'll have plenty of chances to come up in the ☀️
CarlWalters
Mountain Walker

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:22   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland