walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Awful weather morning in the Howgills

Awful weather morning in the Howgills

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:47 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Calders, Fell Head, The Calf

Date walked: 28/08/2017

Time taken: 3

Distance: 16.1 km

Ascent: 1033m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Bank Holiday Monday and wanting to avoid the crowds I set off early for the Howgills - ignoring all weather advice that said go South and go later in the day.

I knew I wanted to revisit Cautley Spout but had no other plans after that. After a confusing issue around Great Dummacks I decided that leaving beaten tracks wasn't the best idea in the weather and stayed as close to them as I could.

Gloomy, misty weather throughout and then strong winds on the tops followed by driving rain made for a pretty miserable morning!

1 Not promising.JPG
Not a promising start as I head down the valley towards Cautley Spot - at least it's dry.

2 Steep climb by the waterfall.JPG
It's a steep climb by the waterfall on a well made path. This proved trickier on the descent with the laid stones absolutely drenched.

3 Waterfall.JPG
Waterfall

4 Waterfall.JPG
Waterfall again - it's an impressive sight for sure

5 Calders.JPG
After following the rim of the crags I ended up way too far down Great Dummacks and had to head back up to get over to Calders

6 Bram Rigg Top.JPG
Bram Rigg Top lies just off the Calders to The Calf motorway path

7 Approaching The Calf.JPG
Approaching The Calf. I've become quite fond of this hill and the area. It's not too far to go from home at all and there are so many diverse routes and they all seem to lead here.

I was reluctant to leave the good paths now so ruled out a crossing of Bowderdale Head to Yarlside and opted for an out an back to Fell Head - well pathed as I remembered.

8 Bush Howe.JPG
Bush Howe is the next summit along the ridge. Like Bram Rigg Top it's a Nuttall but not a Hewitt and there isn't really that much re-ascent from The Calf

9 Fell Head.JPG
A short, steeper climb leads to Fell Head

10 Weather getting worse.JPG
After retracing steps back over The Calf I descended via Force Gill Beck. A bit of shelter from the wind here but the rain is really pouring now - which wasn't forecast!

11 Finally coming out of the mist.JPG
Finally coming out of the mist but a careful descent needed from here

12 waterfall.JPG
One last look at the waterfall - be fuller soon after this rain
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland