walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Safety SMS shocker, SatNav Scrambled & Schiehallion Sun,

Safety SMS shocker, SatNav Scrambled & Schiehallion Sun,

Postby adambarras » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:22 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 01/09/2017

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 731m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Always tell somebody where you are going, they said.
Always tell somebody when you'll be back, they said.
Always play safe, they said.
So I did.

So I Txt my mother, whose initials, DB, I'd seen atop my phone's screen. Only I hadn't seen my mum's had I? No, it was my Boss, also DB. Much ridicule ensued. Great start to the day.... :roll:

Heading north out of Edinburgh I enjoyed being one of the first to cross our shiny new bridge, the SatNav was thoroughly baffled, and got very annoyed I wasn't obeying her!
IMG_2505.PNG
A very nice bridge it is too!

What a glorious day it was becoming, a few scattered clouds offered a little shade every now and again, you wouldn't believe it was a day before Autumn begins.
IMG_2507.JPG
Scattered clouds over Schiehallion.

For such a beautiful appearance, it is a shame that the walk is a little uneventful. The path that has been laid is a great piece of work. The boulder fields which cover the last third of the assent, however, are a really nasty piece of work!
IMG_2509.JPG
Boulders starting to gather...

IMG_2510.JPG
Seems 'Tis the fashion nowadays to create tiny Cairns.

When I eventually reached the summit I became all to aware of what all the fuss is about! A really stunning top, enjoyably slightly craggy (reminded me a little of a miniature Tryfan)(not a great comparison I appreciate, but I was having one of 'those' days). The views are extensive, with famous vitas at every angle.
IMG_2513.JPG
Hard to better these views! Clouds starting to gather....

The journey down was simple enough, the journey home however was anything but, taking very nearly four hours, double what it should have done! I'll stick to walking in future.
adambarras
Stravaiging

Munros:17   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland