walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Chasing a Spider on Bynack and pals

Chasing a Spider on Bynack and pals

Postby Jaxter » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:36 pm

Route description: Meall a' Bhuachaille circuit, Glenmore

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag Mhòr, Meall a' Bhuachaille

Date walked: 27/08/2017

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 30.02 km

Ascent: 1704m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Colin and Jura were allowing me to join them on another adventure, so we all few up the A9 and arrived at the Reindeer Centre far quicker than expected – it pays to get an early start ahead of the caravans :lol:

There were a few midges around despite there being a distinct chill in the air – summer is definitely drawing to a close. We were quickly ready to go and set off up the track immediately behind the buildings. We briefly took a wrong turn before realising we were supposed to be going uphill :lol: It’s always the starts of walks isn’t it… :roll:

Me leading the way

Soon we were out of the woods and the views were opening out.

The path was well made and easy underfoot which made the gradient less painfull :lol:

Meall a’ Buachaille

Looking backwards towards the Cairngorm Massif

Loch Morlich Image

We soon gained the ridge and met a couple of folk coming back down – early birds :lol: It was a quick and easy stroll to the top of Meall a’ Buachaille and we could hardly believe we were already at the summit of our first target!

Cairnaggedon

Out towards Braemar and Morrone

Jura doing a summit pose (needs work :lol: )

Loch Morlich Braeriach and Sgor Gaoith behind

Jaxter pose

Cairn Gorm and Bynack More behind

Surveying the road ahead

After enjoying the sights for a bit we headed off. It was an obvious path initially until we came to a split. I wanted to have a peek at Ryvoan Bothy and Colin said he didn’t mind so we took the left fork which, according to the map, ought to bring us out there. However this path totally disappeared and we ended up wading through heather and deep grass. We went of Straight Line Syndrome and just battered on down.

The long and winding road onwards

Ryvoan coming into view

Eventually we saw a very obvious path, snaking around and heading to Ryvoan….taking a sort of diagonal line we joined up with it and walked the last few metres to the bothy.

There was a stack of bags outside and Duke of Edinburgh log sheets. It must have been a cosy night in the bothy :lol:

We followed the track before realising it was a long way round and took a shortcut through a jungle (I blame Colin :lol: ) and emerging on the long and winding road as seen from above. It was an easy walk and we were smashing the miles as we chatted about all manner of nonsense :lol:

The path led us up onto the shoulder that led to Bynack More itself before taking the left fork and heading back downhill into the glen. We reached the corrie of the barns and crossed the Glasath which was a good opportunity to refill water bottles.

We continued along the path a few metres more until we were past the steepest section before heading directly uphill. It was a mercifully short and painless ascent and before long we were on the final pull to the summit of Creag Mhor.

Looking backwards to the Barns of Bynack

The way we’d come

Me spoiling the view

We reached the summit…well I got there first….

Then Colin and Jura

We sat down in a sheltered spot for some food, a discussion about where to go next (“Wanna go over Bynack More for funsies?” “Aye ok” :lol: ) and some photos.

Bynack More

Colin & Jura

Ben Avon

These appear to be the crags above Glen Loin but I’ve no idea what they are :shock: Impressive though….

Cairn Gorm and the Shelter Stone crags

Panorama shot from Creag Mhor summit – Ben Avon to Cairn Gorm

Cairn Gorm and the Shelter Stone crags

Zoomed crags

The Barns of Bynack

Me taking photos :lol:

Cairn Gorm

“I could see if someone was having a pee on that crag” :lol:

Think this is looking towards Coire Etchachan and Derry Cairngorm

As we munched on our food Colin remembered Spiderwebb saying he was heading for Bynack More….so he called him and would you believe it, he was just approaching the summit! We waved at him and I used my super-duper-lens to get a photo :lol:

Spiderwebb on Bynack More summit :lol:

After chilling out a bit longer we got going again, retracing our steps down the side of boggy Creag Mhor before heading straight up Bynack, heading for the barns where I knew that the gradient eased. This is one of the things I like about Colin…he’s happy to go along with my mad plans (or at least he doesn’t complain, wise man :lol: 8) )

It was steep going but slow and steady saw us gaining height quickly. Stopping for a breather, the views down Glen Derry were pretty.

Colin stopping for a photo in front of Beinn a’ Chaorainn

Our previous summit, Creag Mhor and Ben Avon

We arrived at the barns…I’d forgotten how big they were and why I’d not managed to climb to the top in January :lol: :shock:

How big? This big :lol:

Beinn a’ Chaorainn, Glen Derry and Beinn Mheadhoin

From the barns it was an easy stroll to the summit of Bynack More….here’s Colin trying not to look tired ;-)

We arrived at the summit to discover that Spider had left…hardly surprising as it had been an hour since we’d spoken :lol: It was pretty windy so added layers before posing commenced :D

Jura missed the memo :lol:

Meall a’ Buachaille – looks a long way away :shock:

The Cairngorm Massif Image

Panorama shot

Glen Derry

Beinn Mheadhoin

Shelter Stone crags, less impressive from this angle

Cairn Gorm I think

Jura

It was an easy but long walk from here so off we went, thinking we might catch the Spider on the way… Colin decided that this rock looked like a whale :lol:

Once we were down the steep top of Bynack More it was just a case of covering the distance….Looking back:

Looking down Strath Nethy

Meall a’ Buachaille ahead

River Nethy

Finally on the home straight

A quick pause at An Lochan Uaine

From here it was a case of dodging the bikers and the long last few miles to the car. We never did catch Spider :lol: Once on the road it was a case of getting on with it; we were tired and had sore feet :lol: Eventually we were back at the car and we figured that it was such a nice day that an ice cream stop in Aviemore was a necessity before the drive home 8)

Bynack and pals.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Chasing a Spider on Bynack and pals

Postby Andymac75 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:07 pm

Good report as usual :clap: nice weather too. Which I am starting to seriously miss :(

A few things;

Derry Cairngorm looks very majestic in the late summer(??) sun

Love the Scots Pines.special trees for me

And Colin's 'Jaxter' is almost poetic in its execution.Craig Revel Horwood would give a '9'.surely. :D
Andymac75

Postby tall-story » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:48 pm

Brilliant as always Jaxter :-) I'm always happy to go on your mad hatter detours as long as there is sufficient daylight ;-) Andymac75 I wouldn't dare try the Jaxter pose or I don't think I would ever walk straight again ;-) And that Jaxter Lass just a wee bit younger and way more bendy than ever will be :-)
tall-story
Walker

Munros:158   Corbetts:222
Fionas:37   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:07 am

They seek him here., they seek home there :lol: I think you need a telescope :D other folk must have thought I was nuts scanning all over trying to work out where you guys were.... Map to the rescue as stuff round them parts is mostly large, so it didn't take long to work it out but I still didn't see you guys :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby dogplodder » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:27 pm

Fabulous walk taking in 3 interesting hills but for showing off the blooming heather I think the prize has to go to the Shepherd's hill! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:39 pm

Looks like fun, as always. The "Barns" are quite impressive.

As often, you appear to have added an extra peak or two to the obvious itinerary most of us would have chosen!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Jaxter » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:42 am

Andymac75 wrote:Good report as usual :clap: nice weather too. Which I am starting to seriously miss :(

A few things;

Derry Cairngorm looks very majestic in the late summer(??) sun

Love the Scots Pines.special trees for me

And Colin's 'Jaxter' is almost poetic in its execution.Craig Revel Horwood would give a '9'.surely. :D

Thankyou - think it may have been the last of summer :lol: :lol: Cairngorms glens are definitely growing on me :wink:

tall-story wrote:Brilliant as always Jaxter :-) I'm always happy to go on your mad hatter detours as long as there is sufficient daylight ;-) Andymac75 I wouldn't dare try the Jaxter pose or I don't think I would ever walk straight again ;-) And that Jaxter Lass just a wee bit younger and way more bendy than ever will be :-)

:shock: :shock: :lol: just plenty of practise falling off things :wink:
Daylight? Pffft that's what head torches are for :lol:

spiderwebb wrote:They seek him here., they seek home there :lol: I think you need a telescope :D other folk must have thought I was nuts scanning all over trying to work out where you guys were.... Map to the rescue as stuff round them parts is mostly large, so it didn't take long to work it out but I still didn't see you guys :lol:

Yeah it's a fair panorama from there right enough 8) that Creag Mhor wasn't visible until we were over the hump of Bynack so probably easy to miss! You must've fair motored on your way doon 8)

dogplodder wrote:Fabulous walk taking in 3 interesting hills but for showing off the blooming heather I think the prize has to go to the Shepherd's hill! :D

Definitely! Very pretty to look at but nightmare to wade through :shock: :shock:

Mal Grey wrote:Looks like fun, as always. The "Barns" are quite impressive.

As often, you appear to have added an extra peak or two to the obvious itinerary most of us would have chosen!

They're awesome aren't they! I was introduced to them in January when I was there. Could spend hours playing! Ach if it's a nice day it seems a shame to go home :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland