walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My 50th Munro

My 50th Munro

Postby Benaden887 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:48 am

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Beag (Nevis Range), Aonach Mòr, Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 20/06/1991

Time taken: 8.1 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 2105m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My 50th Munro 19km 2100m 8.10h 20/06/1991

Early start finds Andy, Darren and I waiting at Achintee Glen Nevis for the B team that came up last night. It turned out they`re still asleep as we leave for Ben Nevis. A path climbs the E face of the glen in a series of long steps to reach a wide col with lochan Meall an Suidhe. We take a breather and soak up the ambiance of the place. Two boys with trainers on, run by us laughing at our boots and gaiters”see you at the top” one yelled. The snowline starts at 650m. We followed their steps up the zigzags to catch them at the 3rd turn. Fearing deeper snow higher up, they return down the track with wet feet. We crunch on, the Red Burn, FIve finger gully until the flattish plateau of Ben Nevis shows trig point and cairn@ 1344m. The snow is firm here, so the boys might have made it, for my 50th Munro..
A break on the cliff edge. Below Coir Leis and here Tower Ridge. I will soon climb with Darren and again later for a summer solstice that doesn`t quite work out. The metal box shelter gets a looksee as does the burnt Observatory, bits showing thro the snow. SE down a marked path, past abseil posts on the CMD arete. Great views of endless rock corries around us. A wee rise then dip and up for the summit of Carn Mor Dearg@1220m. Rest here, looking back at Nevis and across at the Aonachs, I voiced my thoughts and next we were chuntering N down Watershed Ridge, to add this pair to our day.
The snow now soft, gives an undignified slide onto hidden rocks at the bottom. The col is @ 830m. Stagger away from this to cross and climb up the broad lump of Anoach Beag. The rocky top is protected by crags now ice covered so careful movement was required before reaching the top @ 1234m. Great views. E are the Choinnichs and Easians, S the Mamores and the Ring of Steall, all on my still to do list. Bum slide is the way off to easier ground, cross the col for the long finger of Aonach Mor @ 1221. Eat here, then on to the wide northern nose, drop past lifts, canteen and cable lines. None moving, there`s a haste to get down but we make it before the Ski centre closes. A call from the phone box brings a taxi and transport back to the car.

Good day great team effort
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland