walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Mheadhonach Glen Tilt a superb walk with the Grandson

Beinn Mheadhonach Glen Tilt a superb walk with the Grandson

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:04 am

Route description: Beinn Mheadhonach, via Glen Tilt

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mheadhonach

Date walked: 29/08/2017

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Distance: 22.3 km

Ascent: 1323m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This walk had been at the back of my mind for some time and as Mountain Thyme had already done it I thought this would be an ideal hill to climb with the grand children when they were up for their Summer break, unfortunately things did not go as per plan partly because of the poor weather we have been getting of late and Abbey my Grand Daughter having to return down South sooner than had been expected.
With Harris my Grandson having an extended stay it meant that once again this hill became possible so the first decent weather day we were heading off to the Old Bridge of Blair Car park, this was not nearly the size as it is now the first time I came here to climb the Munro.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
Just leaving the the car park and heading towards the river
2.JPG
After a short walk adjacent to the water and climbing over the road by means of an old hump back bridge we find ourselves on the good track
3.JPG
After crossing a bridge over the river Tilt, Further up the track and on the other side of the river
4.JPG
Further on the tree lined track
5.JPG
Crossing Gilbert's bridge to the other side of the river Tilt
6.JPG
Looking downstream
7.JPG
After crossing then bridge the track continues around to your left but there is an aluminium gate on your right which takes you up this grassy track between the trees, if the gate is locked there is another diamond shaped gate within the deer fence on your right. (Not much good if you were considering cycling further up the glen)
8.JPG
After the initial climb the route flattens and there are some downhill sections
9.JPG
found this wee fella on the track, guess he may have been poisoned
10.JPG
At another bridge crossing at grid ref 888712
11.JPG
Quite a drop with water hittimg that solid rock head on
12.JPG
Just after crossing the bridge you come across this sign saying to the viewpoint, go in that direction off to the right
13.JPG
That's our target hill behind Harris
14.JPG
Further on still on a faint path mostly dry underfoot
15.JPG
Our target on the left over the wee bridge beyond the heather section
16a.JPG
Having a snack break at the bridge
17.JPG
Leaving the bridge behind still on a faint path all pretty dry underfoot conditions
18.JPG
Here comes a shower time to put on the jackets
19.JPG
On our way towards the summit we pass this cairn and stone shelter which we will use for another food break on the way back
20.JPG
Soon the summit flattens out considerably and the walking is easy underfoot
21.JPG
Not too sure if this is the summit so we head off further along the summit to another pile of stones
22.JPG
This is the 901 m point as marked on the OS map
23.JPG
After checking GPS this appears the highest point
24.JPG
On our way back we come across this old stone dyke what's left of it. All in all a lovely walk with nothing too strenuous and steep, ideal for the family.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Beinn Mheadhonach Glen Tilt a superb walk with the Grand

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:28 pm

Nice one Rod,looks like a grand wee wander. Got this in mind to combine with Beinn Dearg.
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:40 pm

Morecambe Monkey wrote:Nice one Rod,looks like a grand wee wander. Got this in mind to combine with Beinn Dearg.

Hi there Pat, that would be a big day right enough, BD looked a very long way off and with rain looking like it was coming our way decided to leave it :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:58 am

Hi Rod, nice Corbett for late summer strolling :D We did it in September (2013 I think) and the slopes were all covered in purple heather, very atmospheric.

The highest point is somewhere on the northern "tip" of the ridge, I remember Kevin lurking around with his GPS to find the exact spot :lol: There was a tiny-mini cairn at the true top back then but it was probably kicked away by now:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:33 am

BlackPanther wrote:Hi Rod, nice Corbett for late summer strolling :D We did it in September (2013 I think) and the slopes were all covered in purple heather, very atmospheric.

The highest point is somewhere on the northern "tip" of the ridge, I remember Kevin lurking around with his GPS to find the exact spot :lol: There was a tiny-mini cairn at the true top back then but it was probably kicked away by now:

Hi BP, we really liked this walk, but as you say it was very difficult to find the exact summit, we spent about half an hour visiting various spots and like Kevin had GPS out it's a vast summit with maybe only 3 feet difference over about 300 yds but we went as far North and retraced our steps and certainly managed to get the 901m showing so that was good enough for us :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby jmarkb » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:35 pm

Nice report: it's a very pleasant walk, arguably better than either of its Munro neighbours.

According to http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/mountaindetails.php?rf=415 the highest point is at NN 88006 75891 based on a ground survey by Alan Dawson. This is on the northerly of the two tops, and about 100m north of the 901m spot height on the OS maps.

Morecambe Monkey wrote:Nice one Rod,looks like a grand wee wander. Got this in mind to combine with Beinn Dearg.

Once you are on the tops, the going is quite good. If you are Corbett bagging, then adding in Beinn Bhreac as well is an option (that was quite a long day!).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:47 pm

jmarkb wrote:Nice report: it's a very pleasant walk, arguably better than either of its Munro neighbours.

According to http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/mountaindetails.php?rf=415 the highest point is at NN 88006 75891 based on a ground survey by Alan Dawson. This is on the northerly of the two tops, and about 100m north of the 901m spot height on the OS maps.

Once you are on the tops, the going is quite good. If you are Corbett bagging, then adding in Beinn Bhreac as well is an option (that was quite a long day!).

I agree with you this is a lovely walk we both enjoyed it very much with nice underfoot conditions most of the way, thanks for the summit information, thanks jmarkb
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby dogplodder » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:00 pm

Like you I'm partial to a walk with the grandson so will keep this one in mind..... except that now he's got started on Munro-bagging I might have a job persuading him! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:25 pm

dogplodder wrote:Like you I'm partial to a walk with the grandson so will keep this one in mind..... except that now he's got started on Munro-bagging I might have a job persuading him! :lol:

Ideal there are lots of Munros here passing by Tolmount and Tom Buidhe which seemed very close then there are the ones South and South West of Lochnagar
The Rodmiester
Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland