walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Dumyat

Dumyat

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:11 pm

As part of the Beauly - Denny power line project the stakeholders agreed to form a new path onto the summit of Dumyat .As it stands the ongoing works seem to have been suspended and it's easy to see why with the mess of the path at present.

I understand it's a work in progress, however at this time of year is it really the best time to build this.

PS Dave Hewitt or RTC be most interested to hear your thoughts

FB_IMG_1505498454044.jpg
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Dumyat

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:16 pm

The paths and tracks around Dumyat are well used and well loved by locals and visitors alike and the mitigation works agreed as part of the Beauly to Denny Power Line were intended to improve the area.

I am deeply concerned that the path works that have been undertaken in the last few weeks have created a real eyesore and have raised questions as to whether these mitigation works are being carried out in compliance with conditions previously set out.

I have raised these issues with Scottish Power and have received assurances that works have been suspended until a meeting is held with key stakeholders in the near future to agree the most appropriate way forward.

I am meeting with Scottish Power next week to discuss the matter further.

Cut & paste quote from the local MP
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Dave Hewitt » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:20 am

I've not as yet visited the actual site so can't comment directly - Dumyat's not really my patch and although I live close to it I'm only on it around ten times per year. RTC would be much better placed to comment as he can be a 100 Dumyats per year man. I much prefer the various 2000ft things further along the Hillfoots, eg I'm up Ben Cleuch five or six times for every Dumyat.

From the various pictures I've seen it's clearly, as GLW says, a work in progress, and such things - road, tracks, paths - can look grim at the construction stage. Better perhaps to wait a couple of years to see how the finished product looks once it's had chance to bed in. At present it doesn't look great, admittedly.

As to the broader question of whether it's necessary, Dumyat is a very popular hill - quite possibly the busiest one in central Scotland between Ben Lomond and Arthur's Seat - and the approach from the high start on the Sheriffmuir road accounts for a huge proportion of ascents - I'd say at least 80%, quite possibly nearer to 90%. There have therefore been issues with erosion and general wear and tear over recent years - although it's really only the middle section, on the western approach to the fence, that has become seriously boggy. The start up grassy paths from the road, and the finish via various gravel paths and bits of bedrock, seem to have stayed more or less solid although are certainly very obviously well-used paths. Quite a lot of mountain bikers also go up and down this way (as per the picture), often in wet conditions, and that probably doesn't help. Overall, it's one of those "loved to death" hills and probably is in need of some restoration and attention, although whether in the form being undertaken remains to be seen.

As I say, I hardly ever use the main path, at least not its lower part. There are half a dozen other good paths up Dumyat that are, in my opinion, better and more pleasant in terms of avoiding the busyness and the erosion and also providing more interesting terrain and views. The race route from the uni via Yellowcraig Wood is a nicer way to the upper part of the main path, and there are lots of ways that avoid it completely - eg the "parallel path" just over the brow from further along the Sheriffmuir road, the Lossburn approach (good for curlews etc) from even further along, and the various low start approaches from Blairlogie and Menstrie. All of these are better, I'd say, and to be recommended - but I'm quite glad that they're all still pretty quiet with the masses preferring the standard easy western approach.

It's good to see that the MP Stephen Kerr has raised the matter quickly and is having discussions with people involved with the new path; it'll be interesting to see what comes of that over the next while.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby Dave Hewitt » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:13 pm

I've now had a brief partial look at this - was in Dundee for a funeral yesterday and came back over the Sheriffmuir road. Didn't have hill shoes with me so went no further than the layby (and didn't want to get in the way of the work anyway - there was a digger operating), but had a look at the lowest section of path and also at the signage - there are information boards.

From what I saw, I think it might be OK - the path as seen yesterday was much narrower and tidier than the various pictures that have been doing the rounds, so that augurs well, and perhaps more significantly I realised (from the signage) that it's part of an overall project that also includes a lengthy section of dry stone walling a little further to the north along the road. This has been ongoing for a while and two men were working at it yesterday. It looks to be of very good quality and is nice to see - for all that there's still a fair amount of walling done in the north of England, it's unusual to see in Scotland these days. So if the path is being made with the same level of craft and care as the wall, I'm hopeful it'll turn out well once it's all done. I certainly came away from the visit feeling more cheerful and encouraged than I had before getting there.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:46 am

Dave Hewitt wrote:I

From what I saw, I think it might be OK - the path as seen yesterday was much narrower and tidier than the various pictures that have been doing the rounds, so that augurs well, and perhaps more significantly I realised (from the signage) that it's part of an overall project that also includes a lengthy section of dry stone walling a little further to the north along the road. This has been ongoing for a while and two men were working at it yesterday. It looks to be of very good quality and is nice to see - for all that there's still a fair amount of walling done in the north of England, it's unusual to see in Scotland these days. So if the path is being made with the same level of craft and care as the wall, I'm hopeful it'll turn out well once it's all done. I certainly came away from the visit feeling more cheerful and encouraged than I had before getting there.

This is good news then fingers crossed
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion